Was the Xterra the original new Pathy design?

cvearl

Was the Xterra the original new Pathy design for 05? I mean, other than the funky looking roof rack and larger 4.0L Engine, it just looks like a slightly updated 99.5 to 04 Pathfinder to me from all angles. It looks to me that they named it Xterra in 2005 and then built a HUGE truck that looks to compete with Envoy and called it Pathfinder.

Why?

Am I seeing things? The Pathfinder is no longer the Pathy people came to know and love? And after 2005 if you want to stick with the overall size, look and feel of the 99.5-04 Pathy, you need to go Xterra?

And now the Pathfinder is the large class (no longer mid size) SUV that appears to be the size of an Envoy or Toyota Land Runner with this gigantic plastic nose for a front end?

I do not understand this move at all.

Looks like I will need to get an Xterra in 3 or 4 years to replace my Pathy if Xterra continue the quality trend set by Pathfinder.

Anyone else understand what I am saying here? Or do I need to be corrected in some way?

C.

d20=hardbody-->wd21=pathfinder 85-95-->wd22=xterra 00-2004

r50=pathfnder 96-2004-->r51=pathfinder 2005-

n50=Xterra 2005-

that's the progression of chasses lines. pathfinder actually took a sidestep in 96... i'll have to look into the new X.. didn't think it was that much different then the previous underneath.. the body looks different but i thought the rest was about the same as the wd line.

that's the progression of chasses lines. pathfinder actually took a sidestep in 96... i'll have to look into the new X.. didn't think it was that much different then the previous underneath.. the body looks different but i thought the rest was about the same as the wd line.

This is also somewhat wrong.

All the new trucks from Nissan are based on the same platform, Pathfinder, Xterra, Frontier, Titan and Armada are all based on the same F-Platform.

The Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra share almost identical frames, with various reinforcements in different locations due to the differing suspension/body designs.

The New Pathfinder shares nothing but the Nameplate with the old Pathfinder, and the New Xterra shares nothing but the nameplate with the old Xterra. They are COMPLETELY new models, and are simply running off the heritage of the (W)D21 series.

Was the Xterra the original new Pathy design for 05? I mean, other than the funky looking roof rack and larger 4.0L Engine, it just looks like a slightly updated 99.5 to 04 Pathfinder to me from all angles. It looks to me that they named it Xterra in 2005 and then built a HUGE truck that looks to compete with Envoy and called it Pathfinder.

Why?

Am I seeing things? The Pathfinder is no longer the Pathy people came to know and love? And after 2005 if you want to stick with the overall size, look and feel of the 99.5-04 Pathy, you need to go Xterra?

And now the Pathfinder is the large class (no longer mid size) SUV that appears to be the size of an Envoy or Toyota Land Runner with this gigantic plastic nose for a front end?

I do not understand this move at all.

Looks like I will need to get an Xterra in 3 or 4 years to replace my Pathy if Xterra continue the quality trend set by Pathfinder.

Anyone else understand what I am saying here? Or do I need to be corrected in some way?

C.

i understand what you're saying. and i agree. the pathy is no longer really a pathy, but a suburban/4 runner/type suv with a nissan badge. *sighs* sign-o-the times

wd20=hardbody-->wd21=pathfinder 85-95-->wd22=xterra 00-2004

r50=pathfnder 96-2004-->r51=pathfinder 2005-

n50=Xterra 2005-

OK. So let's shoot ahead a few years. I always buy used. 2 to 4 years old depending on km's and condition.

Is the 05 Xterra a step up or down from a 04 Pathfinder? Or in other words. Is it as much of a truck as the 04 Pathy?

I took a shine to the 99.5-04 Pathfinder series. The look, size and drive of the truck. The quality. So I got me one.

In 2 to 3 years, Lets call it 2009, I will be looking for my next vehicle. Being that I like the pathfinder type vehicle and it will be roughly a 2005 to 2006 unit. What is the closest relative to the 2000 to 2004 pathfinder? I know 3 years is a long way off. but. I am just curious.

I guess I can always get a 2004 Pathy in a coupla years and keep that for a while and see how things pan out for the new model years. 99.5 to 04 have become somewhat of a legend right up there with 4Runners as I undrstand it. I hope the 05 and 06's and into the future continue that trend.

But I still say the 05 Xterra looks most like a 99.5 to 04 Pathfinder esthetically.

2005-nissan-xtera-front.jpg

C.

Edited by cvearl

Drivetrain and capability wise, the new Xterra is almost like a combination of the newer R50s and the older Xterra. The R50s were kind of a wierd red-headed-step-child that never really went anywhere, and were kind of a transitional vehicle in an Upscaling trend of the Pathfinder.

Nissan has taken the Pathfinder more upmarket, and is marketing it more towards the upscale, higher-income types who want a luxurious SUV to drive to the golf course with good road manners. The R50 was probably the best vehicle for that combination of both on-road performance, and moderate Off-road ability.

The new 05+ Pathfinder has completed the shift upmarket by Nissan with the Pathfinder. The Xterra has taken over the role of the All-Terrain Adventure vehicle in Nissan's Lineup.

I think if you're looking for something that you'll be taking off-road, the 05+ Xterra with the Off-Road package (and thus adding 32" All-Terrain tires, and a rear locker) is the way to go.

OK. So let's shoot ahead a few years. I always buy used. 2 to 4 years old depending on km's and condition.

Is the 05 Xterra a step up or down from a 04 Pathfinder? Or in other words. Is it as much of a truck as the 04 Pathy?

I took a shine to the 99.5-04 Pathfinder series. The look, size and drive of the truck. The quality. So I got me one.

In 2 to 3 years, Lets call it 2009, I will be looking for my next vehicle. Being that I like the pathfinder type vehicle and it will be roughly a 2005 to 2006 unit. What is the closest relative to the 2000 to 2004 pathfinder? I know 3 years is a long way off. but. I am just curious.

I guess I can always get a 2004 Pathy in a coupla years and keep that for a while and see how things pan out for the new model years. 99.5 to 04 have become somewhat of a legend right up there with 4Runners as I undrstand it. I hope the 05 and 06's and into the future continue that trend.

But I still say the 05 Xterra looks most like a 99.5 to 04 Pathfinder esthetically.

2005-nissan-xtera-front.jpg

C.

yeah, i don't know.. kind of what veng said.. they aren't really related.. the X is really the sporty truck in the lineup. even the old ones are huge compared to wd21.. i am going to keep mine as long as i can and stick to fuel efficient cars for commuting.

Thats what I do, I use my truck for bush work so I let some smuchk in Vancouver or Victoria take the hit, then I get a nice clean, un-wheeled machine.

Based on what I have read, I will be looking at an 06/07 Xterra when the time comes to replace the Pathy in a few years.

Check this review of the 06 X: Canadian Driver 2006 Xterra Review

Some points from the above:

"So why, in this day and age, would any manufacturer build a brand new SUV with not only a solid rear axle, but - horrors! - a solid rear axle suspended by leaf springs? Particularly when there's another SUV (the Pathfinder) that's built on essentially the same chassis, but featuring a modern, fully independent, coil-sprung multi-link rear end?"

"The original Pathfinder arrived on the scene in the mid-eighties, a two-door SUV largely based on the then-current "Hardbody" pickup (gaining two more doors just a few years later). With its 1996 redesign, it moved away from its truck origins and further upmarket, switching to a unibody design, abandoning the few hard-core off-roaders that had cherished the original model."

"From the B-pillars forward, the Smyrna, Tennessee-built Pathfinder and Xterra are essentially the same, though each utilizes unique sheetmetal and trim. Both use a 4.0 litre VQ-series V6 (265 hp/284 lb-ft in the Xterra, 270 hp and 291 lb-ft of torque in the premium-fuel preferring Pathfinder)"

"f you're strictly looking for a commuter vehicle with an SUV image, there are plenty of crossovers in and around the Xterra's $33,748 base MSRP. That misses the point though - the Xterra isn't meant to be a cushy, car-like cruiser, it's meant for hauling bikes and riders to a remote trailhead without being uncivilized during the weekly slog."

^^^^^^^^

Well said! And thanks for the link. And thanks everyone for all the details!

Looks like the Xterra will be my next vehicle in 3 or 4 years. Probably an 06 model. That is, as long as the quality trend of the R50 also pumps through it's viens (time tells all). I just like the look, size and drive of the R50's. And the Xterra looks like a slightly sportier R50 to me.

I like that it has that whole "Truck in an suv's clothing" thing going on. That is as long as it is as much of a truck as the R50 seem to have proven to be.

Otherwise. Where do we go from there? N American? NO!!!! Hahahahaha. And those Bus sized SUV's are just not my style. A little too "overcompensational" if you ask me. Know what I mean Vern? ;)

C.

Edited by cvearl

Otherwise. Where do we go from there? N American? NO!!!! Hahahahaha. And those Bus sized SUV's are just not my style. A little too "overcompensational" if you ask me. Know what I mean Vern? ;)

C.

Others I will look at will be the 4Runner, maybe the FJ Cruiser but not likley. May also look at 4 door Toyota and Nissan pickups.

There has been lots of buzz on the new Grand Vitara. May be worth a look.

I am concerned with the recent trend for Nissan trucks to be less than stelalr on reliability. That may mean a move to Toyota when the time comes.

For some insights on trucks/SUVs, check out CarTalkCanada the forum section of CanadianDriver. There are a couple of sections for trucks/SUVs.

Well, there have already been reported problems with the Xterra and Frontiers breaking differentials.

The Front diffs are particularly problematic, because Nissan decided to go with an ALUMINUM cased DANA differential in them (to save weight, according to my contact) instead of sticking with the renowned, proven, and BULLETPROOF, Nissan diffs.

In the rear end, I've heard reports of sheared teeth on the R&P when fitted with 33" or larger tires - again, due to the switch to a more well-know, but weaker axle, the D44 (a cost saving, and marketing ploy, according to my contact with Nissan Trucks). The Dana44 is widely regarded as an "extremely-tough, off-road proven" axle in the industry, and by saying that the new Xterra is now equipped with the D44, they can market it more aggressively and more successfully to traditionally American truck/SUV buyers.

However, the "little-know" H233b that was forgone in favor of the D44, has a 2/3" larger diameter Ring Gear. It is a solid tube construction. It utilizes a 3rd member for added rigidity instead of a flimsy differential cover that can easily be torn off or broken. Anyone who knows anything about Axles knows that the H233b spanks the crap out of a D44, and puts a Ford 9" to shame (in factory trim). It's bigger brother, the H260b, will blow a D60 or a 14 bolt out of the water with no remorse!

My contact at Nissan Trucks was ADAMENTLY against using the Dana axles over the proven Nissan axles. He also said in 20 years of using the H-series axles, he's only heard of 5 in North America that have broken during regular use, that were not attributed to a manufacturing defect (and he said he could count the total of those on both hands). Now, how many D44s have broken in the last 20 years. Hell, how many of the NISSAN DANA 44s have broken since 2005?!

If I were to buy an Xterra, I would get rid of the Dana crap and swap in some H-series Nissan axles.

:hide: If the performance path goes south...I am liking the FJ (in burgundy) :hide:

:sniff: :sniff: Sorry Nissan, you are losing your touch with size and ability building these hugmongnanomouse land machines It really would feel like leaving a good girlfriend :(:(

Totally hear what you are saying cvearl....this of course is only if the APath is to give up on me!! P...

Well, there have already been reported problems with the Xterra and Frontiers breaking differentials.

The Front diffs are particularly problematic, because Nissan decided to go with an ALUMINUM cased DANA differential in them (to save weight, according to my contact) instead of sticking with the renowned, proven, and BULLETPROOF, Nissan diffs.

In the rear end, I've heard reports of sheared teeth on the R&P when fitted with 33" or larger tires - again, due to the switch to a more well-know, but weaker axle, the D44 (a cost saving, and marketing ploy, according to my contact with Nissan Trucks).  The Dana44 is widely regarded as an "extremely-tough, off-road proven" axle in the industry, and by saying that the new Xterra is now equipped with the D44, they can market it more aggressively and more successfully to traditionally American truck/SUV buyers.

However, the "little-know" H233b that was forgone in favor of the D44, has a 2/3" larger diameter Ring Gear.  It is a solid tube construction.  It utilizes a 3rd member for added rigidity instead of a flimsy differential cover that can easily be torn off or broken.  Anyone who knows anything about Axles knows that the H233b spanks the crap out of a D44, and puts a Ford 9" to shame (in factory trim).  It's bigger brother, the H260b, will blow a D60 or a 14 bolt out of the water with no remorse!

My contact at Nissan Trucks was ADAMENTLY against using the Dana axles over the proven Nissan axles.  He also said in 20 years of using the H-series axles, he's only heard of 5 in North America that have broken during regular use, that were not attributed to a manufacturing defect (and he said he could count the total of those on both hands).  Now, how many D44s have broken in the last 20 years.  Hell, how many of the NISSAN DANA 44s have broken since 2005?!

If I were to buy an Xterra, I would get rid of the Dana crap and swap in some H-series Nissan axles.

In the end, are you saying that (as it currently stands all the way to 2006 modesl), the 2004 Pahtfinder is the last "tough and reliable" Nissan SUV? I am talking STOCK off the line here.

Then it will be time to find somethying else? Tis a shame. The Xterras looked real cool.

Well Quad Cab Toyota Tacoma or newer Toyota 4Runners might be the option I guess. Hmmm... Time will tell.

What a shame. :( I guess decades of brand loyalty is not possible these days with anyone anymore. You never know from one decade to the next what's going to happen with your favorite standbys.

C.

Edited by cvearl

The newer 4Runners are very good trucks. In stock form they're actually pretty darn good off-road. They're not nearly as rugged as the 4Runners/Pathfinders of yesteryear, but that's the way the market is going. Rugged, off-road oriented SUVs are not what the market wants these days. People want the image of a do-all, go-anywhere vehicle with the comfort and amenities of home.

As it is, I consider my Pathy luxurious. I mean, how many other 'rough-and-tumble' vehicles have 8-way-adjustable drivers seats, lumbar support, heated power mirrors, etc...

As it is, I consider my Pathy luxurious. I mean, how many other 'rough-and-tumble' vehicles have 8-way-adjustable drivers seats, lumbar support, heated power mirrors, etc...

Heck, power seats? Most rough-and-tumble vehicles I've seen don't even have an enclosed cabin!

Yeah, dust-free, climate-controlled comfort is pure luxury compared to a Jeep! My rig may not crawl over the biggest boulders, and I might actually have to THINK about picking a line, but at least I don't need to worry about being too hot (or cold), or getting wet, or sneezing mud out my nose, while on the trail.

I knew I read this somewhere:

"The Pathfinder has certainly gone upmarket in everything from size and amenities to price, and it's well suited to its new role. If you're lamenting the loss of the original Pathfinder, don't. It's still around, only now it's called Xterra."

From the CanadianDriver review of the 2005 Pathfinder. Says a lot I think.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/05pathfinder.htm

I knew I read this somewhere:

"The Pathfinder has certainly gone upmarket in everything from size and amenities to price, and it's well suited to its new role. If you're lamenting the loss of the original Pathfinder, don't. It's still around, only now it's called Xterra."

From the CanadianDriver review of the 2005 Pathfinder.  Says a lot I think.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/05pathfinder.htm

Good news then...

In a few years when it is time I will be able to read up on the long term reliability of the unit. If it's on par with current R50's, then it might be my next truck.

I love the quote. It really addressed my feelings towards the Pathfinder model and where it's gone to.

Only thing I know about at this point is what Vengie said about """Xterra and Frontiers breaking differentials""". Hopefully not a ongoing trend.

I am not a huge offroader. But I like that my R50 can chew up a few trails if I ever find myself in a tight spot and still return home to drive me to work every day like the good lookin, street wise - smooth ridin truck it is. :)

;)

Edited by cvearl

this is the exact reason i stay away from the new vehicles that come out these days. currently i drive a 95 Pathy, and just bought a 91 accord for gas mileage.

honestly i dont even like the looks of the new pathys, r50s -> newer.

i dont even really like the looks of the newer hondas, they are all curvey, and egg shapped.....

i just shop around for older vehicles that are reliable, and fairly cheap to maintain.

dont worry about buying an X, just shop around for a good ole' WD21.....

this is the exact reason i stay away from the new vehicles that come out these days. currently i drive a 95 Pathy, and just bought a 91 accord for gas mileage.

honestly i dont even like the looks of the new pathys, r50s -> newer.

i dont even really like the looks of the newer hondas, they are all curvey, and egg shapped.....

i just shop around for older vehicles that are reliable, and fairly cheap to maintain.

dont worry about buying an X, just shop around for a good ole' WD21.....

Naw.

I like R50. Found em attractive first time I saw em. I also like the pre 99.5 Pathy look as well. But prefer the R50.

Nicesest looking IMO was the Durangos of the last 4 or 5 years. But they are built like crap from all reports I find.

Commonly refered to as a sexy looking money pit that wishes it was a truck. Same with the Dakotas too. I wanted a Quad Cab Dakota sooo bad this time around. Was heart broken. Quality just could not compare though so I went Nissan.

So that "round edge" look appeals to me I guess. R50 still has a rugged edge to it IMO.

C.

I like R50. Found em attractive first time I saw em. I also like the pre 99.5 Pathy look as well. But prefer the R50.

All Pathfinders made from 1996-2004 are R50s. In 1999, they received a mild facelift to compete with the updated 4Runner. The only differences between a 99.5-2001 and a 96-99 are cosmetic. In 2001, they received the VQ35, as a move to increase power over the 4Runner again.

All Pathfinders made from 1996-2004 are R50s.  In 1999, they received a mild facelift to compete with the updated 4Runner.   The only differences between a 99.5-2001 and a 96-99 are cosmetic.  In 2001, they received the VQ35, as a move to increase power over the 4Runner again.

Oops. Sorry. I missed a word in there...

when I said "I like R50. Found em attractive first time I saw em. I also like the pre 99.5 Pathy look as well. But prefer the R50. "

It should have ended with "But prefer the POST 99.5 R50. " Is 99.5 not when they rounded the nose? that's sorta where I was trying to go. Gotta type slower I guess.

But to be completely honest, the ONLY reason I even knew the 96 through 04's were all R50's was because of the way that you have named the topic areas in this forum. That in itself was a history lesson for me on the models when I first came here. :)

Although I mistakenly thought the VQ35 was in 99.5 with the facelift. An incorrect assumption on my part. Thanks for the correction! :) In hindsight, I am glad I bought the 2002 one cause I was "this close" <---> to getting a 2000 Pathfinder that had the same km's thinking it too had the 240 HP engine as I was planning on towing eventually. Althogh I am sure the previous engine would have been just fine.

Thanks Vengeful

Me = rookie :laugh:

Edited by cvearl

Yes, 99.5 is when they updated the appearance. The VQ didn't come until early in the 2001 model year.

I've seen some VERY EARLY MY 2001s (read 09/00-11/00 production date) with the VG33.

I have a 10/98 Production 1999 MY Pathfinder. The Facelift came starting with 11/98 Production date Pathfinders.

According to my serial number, mine was the very last of the older style R50s to roll off the line before they shut it down to change over the tooling to the new design. :aok: :cool2: