Yo 98silverpathy

dernt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey :aok: Hey :aok: Hey :aok: ,

I am still alive and kicking...the truck is making its return from a long 10 week bout with multiple problems...Monday 7/17 I will soon see what is really left to fix. It has just had its cam seal (pass side) and T-belt done for the 2nd time as the cam seal was incorrectly installed and leaked like Hell!! While being re belted I bought the knock sensor that was "intermittant at best" and new intake manny gaskets (2nd time also). The garage that f'd things up the first time caused me to leave my girl with the stealership for diagnostics, and tripped back down again to get the dreaded re-belt has decided for my grief that they were going to find me a new front pulley/accesory mount.

This is the black mount part that sticks on top of the timing belt cover. After several belt changes (accessory) and alty installs the alty tensioner would not set right in its mount point, so they actually went to a boneyard and found me a replacement part in the dutyful re-installation!!

The deal is if she comes back still wounded, I....yes I.... am going to get new springs and retainers, new lifters (again) and valve seals and I am going to tear into the heads myself. In addition to that I am taking TURBOPATH's advice and getting an air/fuel controller and getting this thing to stop leaning out---this pathfinder will either rise again or blow to sin!!!

DERNT...thanks a mil for asking...sometimes it seems like people forget you like that bug the windshield wiper just washed off!! Not to say that there hasn't been support and a couple of you have mailed asking if I was alive! Thanks all!

Much love!

(98)

Hooray!

I got the truck back! :clap: That's about the end of the good stuff... :hide:

My truck will never go to anyone else ever again...I reassured her last night this would be the case! :secret:

The truck runs like a bat out of haydes, idles terrible (still after a new knock sensor), clacks like train cars passing by, but only used 1/8th of a tank of gas over approx 50 miles and at speeds over 70 MPH...it only needs to get out of lock up for large hills on the interstate! Have I ever mentioned how heavy the Bridgestones are??

None the less, the only interesting news is that I bought a timing lingt to get her happy again (soon?), and that on 93 octane she runs very happy---this hopefully means that when I score the SAFC she will tune up good! Other than that nothing has really changed and I may end up getting new springs, retainers and lifters and rebuilding myself..........or I will buy, depending on the price of these parts, rebuilt heads and install the cams in those, knowing that all is well????

MY 1st move will actually be to call JWT on Monday and see what they think first...provided I can get the time of day, since when I bought the $500+ cams I was shuffled through snot about my credit card # and when they would mail them and thanks have a nice screwing---I mean day!

INPUT IS STILL MORE THAN WELCOME and --TURBOPATH-- I am trying to get the SAFC and have located a dyno that will tune it in for me!

if you need any help getting stuff...let me know. I've got a bunch of toys laying around. My latest find is this- www.adaptronic.com.au A self tuning standalone. muhahahaha. Going in the turbo car of course.

So how's the engine running now? I'm thinking about getting the JWT S1 cams in my truck, but I don't want it to have the same problems yours had. Is everything A-OK? I know you said that power is up, but what about fuel economy? Will a SAFC tune be required?

Where did you get the new lifters from?

Thanks!

Edited by XPLORx4

To answer 98path,

My consumption sucked before (Stock XE) and sucks now lift, tires, chrome, e-fan, intake, exhaust, cams. I really can't call the current MPG since the truck and I are still battling it out. I think that there is another problem that I am just unable to figure out.

To answer XPLORx4

When the truck comes to a stop (full stop) the RPM's dip nearly to 0 and it even stalls on occasion. I am not sure if I have a bad Dizzy or not. When it gets really hot (engine and outside temp) it seems to missfire...which has greatly lessened since the new knock sensor. I believe that my timing is off pretty far and that perhaps other components of the heads are worn.

I think that if I had to reccomend doing the cams I would say just get the valve springs and retainers (and seals) along with the lifters and cams.....this is an entire head job.

The noise that the truck makes is more quiet now with the knock sensor, however sounds like the springs are to weak to press the lifters down firmly on the cam lobes. The sound makes you think that the lifters are being pushed up by the cam and slapped back down on the cam after the lobe has passed instead of riding closely.

I have an SAFC coming (8/9/6) and will update as I am dying to tune all of this in, but first I am going to replace my EVAP vent and canister--and blow the lines, clean my TB again, and stick the ECU in test mode and set the timing appropriately. Then I will install the SAFC and try making adjustments.

The path runs very strong on the road. It feels like the 235/70/15 are on it with the intake and exhaust...it really uses no effort to move the oversized tires and in fact produces enough torque that it needs to shift out of lock up much less!! Please remember that I have an XE with the smaller ratio rear (or higher? however thats said?), as I know that XPLOx4 has had that upgraded. Incidentally I have found a place tha has them and they want $650 for the front and rear 4.63:1 set.

The problems are all at idle (noise, shimmy, rpm fluctuation) making me think that the timing is just too low for the ECU to adjust without skying the rpms.

Believe it or not I have not yet given up on the truck at all, despite checking out that new FJ Crusier! I really love the Pathfinder and think that it deserves this respect being the true b*tch of the Nissans Pathfinder world.

----------> one more thing, right now it really digs 93 Octane and runs the smoothest and quietest on this fuel <------------------------------------------

Hey 98silver once you blow out the lines will you let me know if it is a PITA? just curious because I am getting an error code 1447 something in the evap system so I am going to start with checking the canister and blowing the lines but have never done it before so any help from someone who has would be awesome.

The truck does report lean when hot, will my SAFC take care of that?? I am hoping that it will run smoother...those intermittant stalls are trying to get me in an accident! :o

******I recieved my SAFC today---2 days early! I may have to change my

opinion about DHL....then again the company I work for bought them so maybe...just maybe they will improve!*************

That would explain also why the 93 makes it happy..a little more bang at low RPMs?? P...

Hello out there :hide:

I put a new EVAP canister and vent valve on yesturday....the truck no longer stalls!!

I had no charcoal leak, and my connector (electrical) was busted up a bit--so it made very poor contact. In fact, I did not have to release the clip to get it off---it just slid off.

After snapping 2 of the three install bolts, I zip-tied it back up and tightly wound electrical tape around the connector and the truck has accepted the new parts well. Then engine still makes lifter noise with the cams, and occasionally sputters (cams vs ecu) but it no longer has that incredibly shaky idle nor stalls at stops. That is one serious vacumm leak/problem in that d*** box. Wish I had changed this thing long ago, very easy and the truck is happy.

Soon I will re-time the truck and instal the SUPER A F C (announced with hero voice). The vehicle that is most like ours in the manual is the ELGRAND...what the H is that? (Mexi-can Pathy?) It carried the same engine code and has listed the same place for the ecu. Anyhow much more, later.

post-7-1155127701.jpg

What the heck is the super AFC?  Where did you get it?

The Apexi Super AFC (Air Flow Converter) is an air/fuel computer that allows tuning of the A/F ratio when the engine is modified. It basically converts the MAF voltage to different levels at various RPMs to reprogram the air/fuel map. The stock PCM doesn't know that the engine has performance cams, which allow more air to enter the combustion chamber, invalidating the factory pre-programmed fuel map.

Edited by XPLORx4

So are you going to do the butt dyno tune or find someone with a wideband? Believe it or not, running lean (14.1:1) will make a lot of power NA. I'd shoot for a little lower like 12.5 for a nice safety margin. A hair less power, but it won't knock going uphill or get your EGT's roasting.

What is an EGT? I am sure I can figure it out but I will ask you...how will I know what it is running ie 14.1 or 12.5:1 ? Will the safc tell me? I am installing today--wish me luck...seems straight forward..LoL that shhh is never straight and def. not forward though huh? :laugh: