Fuel gauge stopped working

DonutHands

EDIT

F’ing ran out of gas! Fuel Gauge stopped moving at half full.

Filled back up and gauge shows full again. Will be monitoring closely now. Glad I didn’t kill the pump 

What part most likely?

Also. Took 17 something gal. Isn’t the tank 20-21?

———————-

Waiting. For a tow right now. 
97 3.3 auto. 

Engine started cutting out today, mostly when coming to a stop and the RPMs dropped under 1k.

Started back up fine. Starter sounds good. 

That was on the way to work. 

coming home, same thing. But would only start up with the headlights off. With them on it would crank but would not start. Turn headlights off, it would start up. 

this worked maybe 10 times trying to get home. Then it got really hard to start up and would cut off very quickly

when it would drive it wanted to cut off and power delivery was extremely jerky, full on, then nothing. Then on then off then died. 

now it still cranks and tries to start but stumbles off before i can get it to move an inch. 

so. Any ideas ?

Edited by DonutHands
I’m dumb

I would check the battery terminals for tightness. Preferably check alternator terminals too. I suspect bad alternator voltage regulator. Can sometimes be battery with one shorted cell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

i would do what is said above. had a similar experience with the armada and it was just a corroded battery terminal got also was a bit loose. if not try and take the battery to a store and get it load tested. here load tests are free so i would imagine they would be for you too.

20 hours ago, DonutHands said:

EDIT

F’ing ran out of gas! Fuel Gauge stopped moving at half full.

Filled back up and gauge shows full again. Will be monitoring closely now. Glad I didn’t kill the pump 

What part most likely?

Also. Took 17 something gal. Isn’t the tank 20-21?

———————-

Waiting. For a tow right now. 
97 3.3 auto. 

Engine started cutting out today, mostly when coming to a stop and the RPMs dropped under 1k.

Started back up fine. Starter sounds good. 

That was on the way to work. 

coming home, same thing. But would only start up with the headlights off. With them on it would crank but would not start. Turn headlights off, it would start up. 

this worked maybe 10 times trying to get home. Then it got really hard to start up and would cut off very quickly

when it would drive it wanted to cut off and power delivery was extremely jerky, full on, then nothing. Then on then off then died. 

now it still cranks and tries to start but stumbles off before i can get it to move an inch. 

so. Any ideas ?

good to see that you resolved the no start. as for it reading half the sending unit could be bad or the gauge is just stuck. and yes they take 20.1 gallons or something along those lines

edit: again back to my armada it had the read at quarter tank issue and was really empty. once filled full it started working again no problem. all it is is a little bobber and is possible it could've gotten stuck and once refilled it fixed it. but keep an eye on it 

Edited by Strato_54

Due to the design of the fuel pickup, the pump can't fully drain the tank. I'd suspect the tank float/level sender too. There's probably a spec in the service manual for what it's supposed to read full/empty that you could check against it before throwing parts at it. Good to hear it was something simple though!

• Like 1