Jump to content

NPORA Staff email addresses have been restored for over two weeks now and most have updated and accessed by individual staff.  If you have tried to contact a staff member by email and they have not responded please make a second attempt using the forums Private Message system. If that is also unsuccessful please reach out to another member of the staff.

MTGunner

R50 bottoms much too easily....

Recommended Posts

Want rear shocks but want longer, beefier shocks. Who makes a shock for my 2000 Pathy R50? MTG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe bilstien makes good shocks that fit on the pathfinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is bottoming out, you shouldn't fix it with shocks. Besides aftermarket spring shocks, shocks were originally meant to stop oscillations, not carry load.

Either your springs are worn and you need new ones, or you are carrying loads exceeding the original design and need stiffer springs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, not carrying anything. Springs must be shot. Might have to look into new springs. Land Rover springs may be in the future with a 2” spacer on the struts. Then new shocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would stay away from spacer if your going to go with land rover springs just buy bigger struts and do the whole thing 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Strato_54 said:

i would stay away from spacer if your going to go with land rover springs just buy bigger struts and do the whole thing 

Bigger struts? New front coils and new struts would help, but I don’t know that there’s such a thing as getting bigger struts, in terms of suspension travel. I also don’t think we have any struts that we would call Heavy Duty. Perhaps Old Man Emu, but everyone seems happy with their KYB’s, myself included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MTGunner said:

OK, not carrying anything. Springs must be shot. Might have to look into new springs. Land Rover springs may be in the future with a 2” spacer on the struts. Then new shocks. 

12 hours ago, Strato_54 said:

i would stay away from spacer if your going to go with land rover springs just buy bigger struts and do the whole thing 

 

Pretty sure MTG meant spacers on top of the front struts. But still, spring lift is recommended over a big spacer lift like 2". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Bigger struts? New front coils and new struts would help, but I don’t know that there’s such a thing as getting bigger struts, in terms of suspension travel. I also don’t think we have any struts that we would call Heavy Duty. Perhaps Old Man Emu, but everyone seems happy with their KYB’s, myself included.

I said bigger I meant like longer just something other then spacers lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Pathfinder bottoms out terrible in the rear. My thought, currently, is to get longer, heavier springs, perhaps LandRover. Then buy a good set of quality rear shocks that are a bit longer and heavier duty. BTW, this has nothing to do with the front suspension. The front suspension has new struts, links, and all new last spring. But, I will do a 2” spacer lift on the new struts that I installed last spring. The issue has to do with the rear suspension bottoming out. I will remove the spacers upon doing the front lift. 

Someone posted the Land Rover springs and front lift spacer. Where to buy these components. MTG

Edited by MTGunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I said bigger I meant like longer just something other then spacers lol 
No one I've seen has found a longer strut either. They are all about the same length. You just put a stiffer spring in which doesn't compress as much, or you do the spacer, or a SFD.

I wouldn't want a longer strut anyway because then you run into the same problems of too big spacers or SFDs in that your suspension can extend the driveline further than it was designed to go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colinnwn said:

No one I've seen has found a longer strut either. They are all about the same length. You just put a stiffer spring in which doesn't compress as much, or you do the spacer, or a SFD.

I wouldn't want a longer strut anyway because then you run into the same problems of too big spacers or SFDs in that your suspension can extend the driveline further than it was designed to go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

i thought they were just different struts all together huh. alright well the more ya know. and yeah youre right that would screw up something either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if your rear springs are shot, your whole suspension could be shot. when i got my lift installed, my front struts and rear shocks were shot. i replaced the front with KYB struts and Bilstein shocks in the rear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not believe entire rear suspension is shot. I am the second owner and original owners used Pathfinder for everyday use. Was always serviced at Nissan dealer, not that that is a good thing. 

I believe it was not used off road or to tow. Seems the shocks are original. It bottoms too easily with little load.

I really do not want to do a Lift. But, if new shocks will help I will start there. I am attempting to find  a shock a little bit longer and heavier duty. 

Edited by MTGunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTGunner said:

Do not believe entire rear suspension is shot. I am the second owner and original owners used Pathfinder for everyday use. Was always serviced at Nissan dealer, not that that is a good thing. 

I believe it was not used off road or to tow. Seems the shocks are original. It bottoms too easily with little load.

I really do not want to do a Lift. But, if new shocks will help I will start there. I am attempting to find  a shock a little bit longer and heavier duty. 

 

my guess is that the stock rear springs are far too soft for the pathfinder even when new.

I bought the moog springs (advertised as oem replacement) thinking the original springs were sagging on my 2003,  and it was the same thing, bottomed out whenever there was 4 people + luggage in the car.

I have also noticed that almost every r50 I see on the road sags a little or a lot on the rear

 

in the end I bought the ARB 2922 Old Man Emu Coil Spring, and KYB gas a just shocks, and my pathfinder rides a lot better, no more bottoming out and no noticeable change in ride comfort.

 

just changing shocks won't fix your problem, the job of the shock is not to carry the load of the car, using spacers will only level the car when loaded, but the spring will still bottom out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Welcome to NPORA Forums

 

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

 

-NPORA

×
×
  • Create New...