clunk in the front!!! need help

98Chilkoot

seems that i have some clunking in the front end, a small bump causes a "clunk" "clunk" its not terrible but its noticeable. I'm going to replace the front struts this weekend. i'll see if that does anything, i'm thinking while i'm in the process i might see a worn out bushing that may be causing the problem. Do you guys think it might be the struts, or what should i look for to solve my front end clunking? Should i go with munroe or rancho for my sturts?

Yea thanks for the relply i'm gunna go check some out tonight. I wasn't planning on odering the The Ac lift but i just did, i'm not to big into off roading maybe with the lift i will be, but looking at the documents from the previous original owner the rear shocks are original... the fronts i think are pretty much gone. so i figured i needed a susp. overhaul i ened up ordering the Ac bottom 2'' lift package for 549.45. and hopefully it solves the clunking in the front end, i'll let you guys know how i like the lift. i just hope i don't lose to much driveablility in the city.

Edited by 98Chilkoot

If none of those parts are the cause, check your inner tie rod ends, the ball joints, or the rubber bushings that hold the swaybar to the frame. At some point or another all of these parts needed replacing on my truck, and all of them caused a slight clunking sound before replacement.

Before you do that look at your front stabalizers this is what made my clunking sound. Sounds the like the exact same clunking.

:beer:

Front Stabilizers? Forgive me for the newb question but isn't the Front Stabilizer pretty much a bar that connects the right side to the left? How can "a bar" go bad? unless it snapped?

I gotta go with the stabilizer links......mine had the same prob, ALOT cheaper to fix than struts at least worth checking out.

What are stabilizer links?

check your inner tie rod ends, the ball joints, or the rubber bushings

So what do you look for in the tie rod ends, ball joints, and bushings? Excessive rust? How can you tell if they are bad? Should I replace these? or Lube them? tighten them?

I have the same "clunk" problem too. Crap. :blink: Looks like a lot of possibilities to check out.

Please advise. :bow:

Front stabalizer bars are the smaller ones one on each side and they have rubber bushings in them. They are about a foot long if that. This wears out and they have to be replaced or Clunky, clunk, clunk.

I'll take pics tomorrow for you if I get some time.

:beer:

Any suspension component that moves and is attached in any way to a non-movable part (such as the frame) is usally attached with some kind of rubber bushing or other material that is prone to wear.

Clunking in the suspension could be caused by any number of things. However, the easiest to check are the following:

Figure 1- Suspension Components:

F609115.gif

Figure 2- Steering Components:

F609145.gif

- Antiswaybar endlinks (Fig1 #15). These are the short vertical rods that attach the swaybar to the strut. They can either be loose in their mounts or the sockets on either end of the link may be worn. Shaking them by hand or cycling the suspension up/down reveals their condition. Also check for torn or cracked rubber boots on the endlinks. (Photo here.)

-Ball joints (Fig1 #5). With the front wheels raised off the ground, shake the bottom of the tire toward and away from the truck. Rattling or any kind of movement at the ball joint indicates it is worn out. (Also check for torn rubber boots.)

-Antiswaybar bushings (Fig1 #17). These rubber parts isolate the metal swaybar from the frame. Over time the bushings can harden or change shape, allowing the swaybar to move freely up and down during suspension cycling. The bushings are located on either side of the frame, just inboard of where the swaybar bends. Shake the swaybar up/down and check for movement.

-Inner tie rod ends (Fig2 #3). With the front wheels raised off the ground and the steering wheel locked, shake the tire in such a way as to attempt to turn it left/right. Excessive play or rattling while doing so reveals that the inner tie rod socket is worn and should be replaced.

-A-arm bushings. They are located at the front and rear of the lower A-arm (Fig1 #6). It's more unlikely that the A-arm bushings cause rattling/clunking sounds than any of the other components mentioned above. However, they should be checked as well.

-Strut components. Worn parts in the strut are hardest to diagnose because they cannot be easily seen. If all of the other suspension parts check out OK, first pull the rubber cap off the top of the strut and check that the nut holding the strut shaft is tight. If so, likely causes for clunking are: worn strut mount (Fig1 #13); worn strut bearing (Fig1 #11); hardened/worn rubber boot (Fig1 #10).

thanks guys for all the help i'm gunna start everything next week, i'll be sure to keep a eye open for anything that looks like it needs to be replaced. thanks all the reply's i'll keep you guys informed on my findings

Well I here is the part #'s for the Bars that had to be replaced. 1 went and the other they changed because it was on warranty.

#54618-3W400

These went at 52,000km. I noticed the clunk on even on the smallest of bumps after awhile.

Hmmm, I have no clunking over bumps, only when I brake or accelerate fairly

rapidly, and it sounds like something on the driver's side, rear. I can't tell if it is a

suspension thing or a frame or door thing - it isn't my jack or any other crap in my

truck, tho...

I've asked my local mechanic to investigate but he keeps telling me it's some

rubber piece in the suspension that is of no importance making the noise and I

shouldn't worry... :shrug:

Sometimes it gets really loud, like hitting the floor with a mallet - other times it

doesn't even clunk... ???

any ideas?

:help:

Guest dssenglish

I just replaced my stabalizer links in my 97. Before I bought mine Pathfinder, I test drove a few with the same front suspension clunking noise. This seems to be a common Pathfinder problem. The clunking was solved by replacing these parts, and the handling also improved. Just curious if your problem was the same, and if you got similar results.

I just replaced my stabalizer links in my 97. Before I bought mine Pathfinder, I test drove a few with the same front suspension clunking noise. This seems to be a common Pathfinder problem. The clunking was solved by replacing these parts, and the handling also improved. Just curious if your problem was the same, and if you got similar results.

Replaceing these parts as in the Stabilizer Links? Do you mean there's something wrong with the factory link and shoud be replaced with aftermarket links??

I think he means that the antiswaybar links are prone to wearing out sooner than other suspension parts, and replacing them with new OEM ones improves the ride. There's nothing inherently "wrong" with the original links, and there aren't any aftermarket replacements.

I too had clunking...

front and back. in the front was the endlinks..they do pop over bumps and braking, but they will consistently pop if you sway your rig back and forth like indy car racers do to keep their tires hot

the rear turned out to be all bushing...i had all of them replaced including the panhard bar...............but now i have this late clunk that pops when making a full stop and the truck rests back on its suspension

if i stop at a light with the truck in "N" then nothing but when in drive...clunk. does anyone know how to tell if a transmission mount is bad???? :gossip:

• 2 months later...

Guess what? My clunking issue has been narrowed down to the sway bar links,

which are pretty beat up and loose, just like you said, 98silverpathy! If I only

had found the time to keep up with all my posts...