Salvage Yard SCORE!!!

DanCamm

Took a drive out to the local "U Pull It" yard today... 4 WD21's and several hardbody p/u's. Got a set of rear flares, upper bumper trim cap, a set of cowl grates, voltage regulator for the cluster (and it works!) turn signal housing, a set of mint OEM "Nissan" treads for my step tubes and a front end bra. Here's the best part....$25 for everything. Oh, I also picked up a full with smittybilt front brush bar with headlight protectors and all, in perfect condition for 30 bucks... :D

Lots of parts, but not lots of time today. I'll be going back out for the set of Warn hubs later...

Since I took a short vacation down to my in-laws in San Diego, I thought maybe this time I'd check the junk yard there.

My girlfriends cousin took me around to the junk yard he goes to. There was a $3.00 charge to enter, but I guess you can take whatever you want. We found only 2 Pathfinders. That didn't help since it wasn't the right generation. We asked if there there newer models to select from. They pointed us in the direction of another junk yard within but there was another charge of $2.00. We looked around since there was no inventory and again, no luck. We head to another junk yard nearby. We made sure we asked for the models before entering. The guy mentioned that there weren't any Pathfinders but there were two QX4s that had been there and one that was just brought in. I headed to the two while her cousin looked through the new one. The ones I went to had always been striped down, inside and out. Luckily, the newer one had the part that I was looking for. Which was this one shown below. It was this little piece. He charged me $20.00 but we managed to bring the price down to $15.00. What's the actual price for this? I'm thinking since we were both young, he probably ripped us off. I was asking for the entire intake manifold be he said it was going to be $50.00. We're we jacked?

Since the interior color matched, I remembered I was missing a fuse box cover. Anyone know if the fuses are in the exact same spot? I'm not sure about the color since I flew instead of drove. I'll wait till I get back home. That piece I got for $5.00.

Walked out with only those two parts... Total cost: $20.00.

Since there were no Pathys, I couldn't look for any hub caps. Forgot about an antenna and a roof rakc piece. The headlamps were either broken, or already gone. So no luck there.

The one here is similar in ways. $3 to get in, set prices for things you can haggle, small stuff goes in the pockets. I've only seen 1 Pathy in there at a time, and they are usualy picked over very well by the time I get to em. Oh well.

Guest REV TERRANO

Its nice to see you guys go j-yarding to, as i frequent the quite alot, they actually know me by first name lol. But yeah here in San Diego there are way to many junk yards here parts all over the place. I usually searh for Toyota AE-86 parts as that is my main luv. But since I have my family ride which is the pathy she is fixing up quite nicely. I scored so far full suspension lift front a-arm rear lift coils and shocks, as well and 15x8.5 rims with 32" attached for cheap. My goal was to have her lifted on 33" full suspension & body lift under $1000, pretty much finished here with a set price of under $800 not bad you will be amazed at what kinda parts you come across down here. If you guys really need certain parts and do not have local j-yard in your area I am more than happy to do a search for you guys, as I ran into a few pathys down here various years let me know. Hey 90seven, I think I know which yard you went to when you were here in San Diego, sounds like you were in the pick u part off of otay mesa nirvana street. They are the only yard that charges $2.00 and another $2.00 to go to there primo side. If you were there you probably saw that 87 pathy it was grey on top and black on the bottom 2 tone, they just moved it into the $2.00 side now, still has the trans,transfer cass, rear end and front diffs and axles. I actually took the bumpers for mine lol. Let me know when your in San Diego again and maybe we can hook up.

Got the brush bar mounted today...cool. It's actually a Manik, thought it was a smitty when I grabbed it. The Pathy's coming together nice, will post some pics of it when I get the chance.

Edited by DanCamm

I usually searh for Toyota AE-86 parts as that is my main luv.

I may be a Nissan fan, but couldyou post some pics of your Corolla?

Let me know when your in San Diego again and maybe we can hook up.

I'll be moving to San Diego sometime in March. I'll be staying up the hill from the Coors Amphitheater. Closest main street would be Main Street (Chula Vista) off of the 805. Hope you're near by. There's a couple of junk-yards nearby. One down the street and one further up the street. :) See you soon.

Edited by 90seven

You guys are lucky. I went go j yardin and this lady was like we cannot let anyone go back to look for stuff. Which was complete bull cause there was like 50 people walkin around. So i brought it up and she was like well you have to know what you want. I know what i want I WANT TO LOOK AROUND!