X-Terra Roof Rack?

jcollins

So, I've got an 87 Pathy. Pretty much stock except for larger tires, kenwood stereo/12" subs, diamond plate interior. I want to put a roof rack on, so I was looking into Yakima, Safari racks, etc. I was wondering if an OEM roof rack off of an Xterra would fit. Has anybody tried this yet? If not I guess I'll just measure and try it out for myself. Don't worry, I'll cover up the Xterr logo on the front! lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never seen it attempted but with some modifications anything is possible. The slope in the Xterrra roof and change in roof height under the rack may present some problems since the Pathfinder roof is flat. It'd look deadly if you could pull it off though.

The main difference is that their is about an inch more of a slope on the XTerra than there is on my Pathy. I just figured that since the local scrapyard will sell me one for $100 I'll make it work! I'll post pics when it's done.

All you have to do is pull the mounting base off of the front ends and trim back the end of the tube, it's just thin aluminum, the bases connect to the tubes with a single screw. The hardest part will be making the bottom of the mounts flatter, since there is more curve in the exterra roof in the front.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

May be more difficult with Newer Xterra Racks... the Earlier models had the Rear part of the Rack Bend to the 90 Degree and then into the mount the new ones just have a mount that goes flush. Trimming for sure up front and the new Wind Deflectors wont work as they are now one unit.. the earlier models you could trim a bit and still attach them if your Crafty. The newer ones..... I dont think you'll be able to keel the Deflector. The Basket wont fit either unles you cut it down as well and reattatch it with some Black zip ties.... kinda looks a little messy but can be done. And GRET find for Junk yard offering so cheap... all yards thatI've EVER looked at want me to buy the Freaking WHOLE ROOF... rails attacked.... they wont sell em seperately to me. Occasionally the come up on Ebay but most want $100.00 - 150.00 + chipping of like 75 bucks. So great find.

Good Luck and take your time with it to get it right.

Dowser :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

OK so its on the Pathy now, sorry too late for pics right now. But just a little info about it... You do need to cut the front legs about 2 1/4" off and about 3" of the crossbars, then there is the front wind deflector. Still working on that but will be on soon maybe tonight. Just wanted to let all know how things are going on it.

Good job... :aok:

That was exactly what I planned on doing when I first bought my Pathy... but I could not find a rack for a reasonable price locally. And at the time the ebay prices were WAY high (not sure about now)

I finally gave up and modified an S10 Blazer rack to fit, because I had to have the ability of carrying tall ladders at work :shrug:

Very nice setup on that "X" rack. I had thought about doing this, but i wasnt very big on drilling into my roof. I have the stock rack but i wanted something with more on the sides. i happened on (of all things) a scrapped daybed! all they did was bend the hinges, all metal was mint. I had just the right ammount of metal (already powdercoated too!) and bends to make a dandy roof basket. So here I am, its partially completed. But thats another tale.

BTW what BS are you running on those rims? Im liking how much meat you have sticking out of the wells.

BTW what BS are you running on those rims? Im liking how much meat you have sticking out of the wells.

3 3/4 BS on a 10" rim. Thanks I think it looks good too but the cops dont think so. LOL have fender flares just need to put them on.

How did you mount it to the roof?

BTW i think it looks great, I might make one from scratch out of some tubing.

had to use Allen bolts. the rack feet dont allow for a socket to fit in them. Had to take the whole interior roof out. wasnt too bad. marked all the holes with white-out, then drilled them. Some are over the roof crossmember, so had to use longer bolts. then cut them off so interior went back in right place. Oh used silicone to seal where I drilled holes and some on the rack feet before I droped the bolt in.