Engine swap finished

sw

the aus spec 'Holden Commodore", where the motor and box came from are rear wheel drive.

the ps pump and resivour just happen to be located above the ps box, so just have a nice new high pressure hose manufacture and wala.

fuel setup is the standard pathy pump, pumping to a surge tank in the engine bay. then the surge tank feeds a high pressure external pump which feeds the fuel rails. you should be able to see the black surge tank in the photos. the other side to the air box.

Very nicely done... Basically looks like a factory job !! I am very impressed !! Now, allow me to be the village Idiot. According to Mr. P's conversion #'s, you have +25HP and +40TQ if my memory is correct. So what was the real gain over cams, headers, exhaust and intake for the Pathy engine ? With those mods you would hit or excede those #, and the Pathy motor is durable so I doubt any major gains there... I don't get why the trouble other than a cool project. Don't get me wrong, seems like you did a beautiful job and I am impressed; I just don't know why... Feel free to educate me.

Bernard

Ahh, I didn't know he had a 4cy.... If its the same Z24 motor I had in my last truck, they are bullet proof and have the same power as an electric toothbrush... Also didn't realize its a NZ thing... Makes sense, and like I said, Nice Job !!

Bernard

Yep, I drove a Nissan 720 P/U 4x4 Kingcab with the Z24 motor for 11 years and it made me love Nissan... It only left me stranded 3 times; once alternator, once starter (bump started it and drove home), once battery. I loved it and would choose it for a backwoods crawler any day. The reason I sold it rather than rebuild was any time I saw a hill, I would whimper, down shift, and floor it in hopes of making it to the top at any reasonable speed, and that was a much lighter shell than the pathy !! I feel your pain. The 3.0V6 pushes the Pathy just fine in my book, but then I was conditioned by the Z24. Now, if the Z24 motor could be wedged into a VW Bug Baja it would be the perfect mix !!

Bernard

I too drove a 720 with the Z24 for years, and the thing was an animal. But I put on 31x10.5 tires and man, talk about horrible mileage. I'd average about 200 miles on a tank. I drove that thing to California and back in college, stopping for fuel every 200 miles. Not good on a college budget. :D But the old girl was unstoppable, just slow. My only problem occurred when the bracket/arm that the alternator slides on snapped at the base. Flying alternator and belt, much racket. I just picked up the belt, pushed the alt out of the way, and drove it a few miles home for repair.

sorry 87 pathy

havent checked the board for a while..

Aaron is spot on

there was NO way i was sacrificing (sp??) 4wd for another motor, what would be the point. all that power and no way to use it.

an adaptor joins the holden gear box to the Nissan t-case

any other questions just ask away

:)

• 3 months later...
I have one:

Why didn't you just get a Patrol?? :P:P:P

No, seriously, are you considering a SAS at some stage?? Apparently the 720 P/U is a good donor vehicle. The P/U with the soild front end in of course. :D

I have never seen one of those. Anyone got any pics of one?

• 2 months later...