Light mounting options...

I've been looking for a thread maybe showing how some of you have been creative with your lights and different mounting options and ideas.

Maybe post some pics of your set up....

I've got the big Pathfinder rack with the big air dam on front. I was looking into maybe finding a 3rd sliding rail so I can slide back and forth or even take off for daily driving.

Oh gee not many chiming in on this one. There is not a dedicated thread on lights that I know of, I have not yet mounted any off road lights on my pathy because I am not happy with my available mounting options. The curvy front bumper just dose not provide the clean install and look I want. On the roof rack would have them sticking out like a sore thumb and I don't like that either. I have always thought when I see pathys or the xterras with the "air dam" that it would be neat to cut holes in it and have the lights behind it.

I mounted mine behind the grill. A set of 100w KC lights. It worked well for my 2001 Pathfinder because of the Honey Cone (sp) grill.

I had to fab up some mounts but besides that no problem, plus no drilling into the bumper, etc.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/32665-so-you-want-lights/page__hl__lights

Thats what I did with mine. They sit up higher than i really want but I hope one day to install some of the Rigid Industries LED strips the light bar was intended for so i left the original mounting tabs.

• 2 months later...

i also just installed a pair of hella 500 black magics driving lights behind my grille. Really like how they turned out. Easy install just a mount and typically wiring issues.

IMG_0494.jpg

That looks nice! I have those lights mounted on my brush guard. I have them so they only turn on when my high beams go on. I also have them tied to a switch, primarily to pass inspection.

I might swap out the bulbs for some PIAA type ones if I get around to it. The bulbs I'm thinking about use the same Watts, but "look" like near double Wattage.

I ran the PIAA bulbs in my fogs for a while & they are VERY bright, but short lifespan.

I've got mine on the roof, and I threw my spare tire on the roof to make them not look so mickey-mouse-ears-ish. I bought mine stock (used), but I dont have the same crossbars as some of these other R50s that I've seen. Mine's not curved, its just square tubing.

Here's how I did mine I got a flat piece of 3/8 steel the length on the crossbars. Then drilled holes in the ends so.the could be.mounted to.the hardware that's already in the tracks. Then took the mounts for.the.lights and had a friend tack them in plqce where I wanted then. And then ran the relays under the hood and the leads from them to a switch in side the cab.

Here's the light bar its self. Very strudy, lights.didn't bounce at all. And was easy enough to remove them if needed.

100_1543.jpg

As you can see the bar is still up there. It held up great under the worse conditions.

100_1551.jpg

Timely topic...how do you guys run the wires from the roof to the battery so they're somewhat concealed? I have the same delimma with my CB antenna, not sure how to route it from the roof into the cabin without drilling new holes and such.

I know that on my 98 there was a hole in the firewall where the clutch master would go. I had an automatic so this hole wasn't used. That's where I ran most of my cables and wires. I'm not sure if that hole is there on yours or not but it certainly worth a look. But be warned the hole isn't very big and you can only fit so much through it. An other option is to hide the wires in the fender between the inner and outer fender and then run them into the cab about half way up the door jam. Doing it this way wi have minimal wire showing and doesn't require drilling holes in the fire wall.

Edited by csutke

don't forget on non AC trucks there will be a large rubber plug (10 mm bolt in the middle) that fills the 2 holes in the firewall, that's where I ran all my wires thru in my old hardbody. I removed the bolt and metal plate, cut the rubber in half than put it back together giving me one hole open and one closed.

Thanks guys. I'm not too concerned about routing the wires from the engine compartment to the cabin, that's fairly straight forward. I'm not sure how to cleanly run them from the ROOF to the engine bay.

csutke any issues with water getting under the weather striping where the wires enter it?

I just used some black plastic tubing to run wires from the engine bay to the lights on the roof. I didnt want to go drilling holes in the roof, so It just runs by the drivers-side of the windshield. Its a thin tube, and as long as its pulled tight, it doesnt get in the way of the wipers or my vision. It looks fine too. I got it at O'Reillys for just a few bucks.