rockers?

joemud

Went to dig in to my roocker panels to fix a small rust isue around the back corner of the rear doors. Very quickley I found the small rust isue is going to meen replacing the entire rocker panel from the back of the rear door to the front of the front door. Does anyone know where I can get some replacement pannels for a 94 4 door?

And here I thought this was a thread about rock sliders...haha

But yes, OSR is right, and it can be a PITA but it is a lot cheaper than buying one new. We did a 2 door S10 blazer not long ago, and spent about 1.5 hours taking it off the donor in the JY, but it cleaned up good and once installed, and painted to match it was flawless.

Good luck!

OSR and Tmoore are right, that would be the cheapest way to do it if you can find a donor in good condition (verrry problematic where i live)

and with a little work it would all look brand new when it's done :)

However, with the huge lack of rust free pathfinders in my area, I'm planning on cutting mine all out and welding all diamond plate this summer and painting em flat black :)

a little extra money and work, not quite as pretty, but a whole lot tougher

you've got a few different options here

but good luck on getting it done before it looks as bad as mine XD

37281_405717426466_601766466_4902044_5205672_n.jpg

>_>

That looks about like mine did after I started into "a little rust". I gueas its off to the junkyard, I need a fender on the front to but I think I might wait till it cools off a bit.

Wow brother, that cancer is gettin wicked bad...need help?!?

Yes :(

AT first I thought:

"BAH, any truck can have it's rust cut out and fresh panels welded in for it, but it takes a REAL truck to beat the cancer all on it's own"

annnd... I thought Nissan would be up to the task

turns out, as tough as it is, it's no Mr. T... :/

I've been playing with a MIG welder at work lately tryin to teach myself how to weld without burning through the soft sheet metal

but any advice, any forms of magic, "Save Ryan's Pathy From the Cancer" fund raiser donations, or offers to come and fix it for free would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by Manifesto

If you use the rig offroad or don't mind the look you could always just get some 3x2 rectangle tubing cut out all the rockers besides the top area the doors seal on. then cut the tubing to length and weld right onto the bottom, make sure to cap the ends so it dosn't rust from the inside out. Add a few braces to it and you have ultra high clearance rock sliders, and cancer is gone.

Yes :(

AT first I thought:

"BAH, any truck can have it's rust cut out and fresh panels welded in for it, but it takes a REAL truck to beat the cancer all on it's own"

annnd... I thought Nissan would be up to the task

turns out, as tough as it is, it's no Mr. T... :/

I've been playing with a MIG welder at work lately tryin to teach myself how to weld without burning through the soft sheet metal

but any advice, any forms of magic, "Save Ryan's Pathy From the Cancer" fund raiser donations, or offers to come and fix it for free would be greatly appreciated :)

I can weld sheet metal pretty well now and would help you out if you were closer man.

If you use the rig offroad or don't mind the look you could always just get some 3x2 rectangle tubing cut out all the rockers besides the top area the doors seal on. then cut the tubing to length and weld right onto the bottom, make sure to cap the ends so it dosn't rust from the inside out. Add a few braces to it and you have ultra high clearance rock sliders, and cancer is gone.

I'm really liking that idea

hmm... did I jack this thread?

ahhh well, least it's still on topic

your ideas and words of encouragement are well appreciated everyone :)

x2

What I plan to do on my 88, there isn't much rocker left on it at all between rust and smashing them on rocks. On my 93 I just broke some sheet metal to match the contour of the rocker and welded it in. I didn't need to make it to pretty as I slather the rockers in Herculiner.

its rusted right through under my rear seats and a hole in the driver floor pan too :(

I'll probably strip my interior and fix all that the same time I do my rockers :/

I can see my rear drive shaft!! >_<

Exhaust leaking into the cab!!! Wooo hoo!!

Its next on my list...fixing the exhaust I mean...I will probably just cut out the rust under my seats, and weld in some sheet metal...under coat it and good to go!

My kids have not yet complained though, not that I am waiting till they do...haha

my question is, to rocker or not to rocker? I have seen tons of pathys without and i think they look great and look like the have a lift without one. But people keep telling me to leave them on because it keeps the mud away. I want to take them off maybe replace them with some sick wide mudflaps in the front and back, suggestions? also is it hard to take those off?

I'm DEFINITELY going to undercoat when I'm done...

my question is, to rocker or not to rocker? I have seen tons of pathys without and i think they look great and look like the have a lift without one. But people keep telling me to leave them on because it keeps the mud away. I want to take them off maybe replace them with some sick wide mudflaps in the front and back, suggestions? also is it hard to take those off?

errr... are you talking about the sidestep bars, like the rails you have on your truck?

rocker panels are part of the actual body, under the door seals that curves around down to the floor pan, to remove them requires a lot of cutting... not to have rockers leaves bare metal body WIDE OPEN to rust from the inside. As well, rockers provide structural strength and rigidity. You want your rockers lol.

side step bars are bolted on under the rockers (really easy to remove) and just end up getting beat up on the trails, they do come in handy for protecting your rocker panels though :)

an alternative to side step bars, are rock sliders, which kinda look like side step bars but usually don't stick out far enough to really be a great step, are usually welded to the frame and they're a whole lot beefier

hope that helped clear things up =)

Edited by Manifesto

I'm DEFINITELY going to undercoat when I'm done...

errr... are you talking about the sidestep bars, like the rails you have on your truck?

rocker panels are part of the actual body, under the door seals that curves around down to the floor pan, to remove them requires a lot of cutting... not to have rockers leaves bare metal body WIDE OPEN to rust from the inside. As well, rockers provide structural strength and rigidity. You want your rockers lol.

side step bars are bolted on under the rockers (really easy to remove) and just end up getting beat up on the trails, they do come in handy for protecting your rocker panels though :)

an alternative to side step bars, are rock sliders, which kinda look like side step bars but usually don't stick out far enough to really be a great step, are usually welded to the frame and they're a whole lot beefier

hope that helped clear things up =)

Haha oh my bad I'm still a newb :P , yah I meant rocker panels (the step things). Okay so I'm going to rip them off than. Thanks again!