Who Has Used?

We pledge that our continued effort will be to meet the challenge of unsurpassed customer service and remain the leader in new product development and innovation for your Nissan vehicle.

Yeah, unsurpassed for dog-sh!t service!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

younger didnt have the money and didnt know as much so for the time being it works, will i change it absolutly. so i guess the calmini stuff is a good starting point if your not sure and it makes things a ton easier

thats the situation im in thats y im going with this kit for now if i dont like it later on i can change it but for now im going to use it

im spring under axle and on 36s. so im SUA not SOA (spring over axle) andyway you would have to modify the steering, go to highsteer. also you would need to do new perchs and thats about it i do believe. ive got the rancho rs44044 springs with nothing removed in them and im running 36s, think my next set is gonna be a set of 35s though

I think the purpose of the hole being that big is so you can have some play as far as your shackle mount goes.

Snip..

no, wrong.... why would you drill a hole thats nearly 1/2" bigger than the tube going through it.

It should be a tight fit as to not hinder frame integrity.

You can't even fill this.

Packie needs to cut some pieces of steel and box in the area around them. so that it doesn't bend at that point.

which it will eventrually if not fixed.

im spring under axle and on 36s. so im SUA not SOA (spring over axle) andyway you would have to modify the steering, go to highsteer. also you would need to do new perchs and thats about it i do believe. ive got the rancho rs44044 springs with nothing removed in them and im running 36s, think my next set is gonna be a set of 35s though

FYI,

You can't really go high steer. the drag link will be up against the oil pan.

yep im celaring 36s on SUA. but i also cut my fenders quite a bit.

87pathy... yea i know i need to get on that. lol. also you sure on the highsteer. or do most people do a crossover system. cause im pretty sure people have done highsteer on it. cause i know nissannut did on one side

yep im celaring 36s on SUA. but i also cut my fenders quite a bit.

87pathy... yea i know i need to get on that. lol. also you sure on the highsteer. or do most people do a crossover system. cause im pretty sure people have done highsteer on it. cause i know nissannut did on one side

no, wrong.... why would you drill a hole thats nearly 1/2" bigger than the tube going through it.

It should be a tight fit as to not hinder frame integrity.

You can't even fill this.

Packie needs to cut some pieces of steel and box in the area around them. so that it doesn't bend at that point.

which it will eventrually if not fixed.

Ok, I have not seen this hole in person, I was speaking as to what I thought was the case. I have seen install pictures, and read the directions, and seen calmini's install pictures. It does not, and did not, to me look like they drilled a hole any bigger than the thru frame shackle mount, because for all I could tell was there was just a weld holding the tube in place, not multiple passes as filler weld.

**EDIT**: I questioned your comment on the High steer, but forgot my axle is mocked up moved forward, so no problems with clearance....

Edited by sammyb33

how does this kit handel on the roads and highway?

the kit handles fine. no problems. You just have to know how to drive and get use to it. The brake is a tad bit soft but it'll brake. You can upgrade the brake master to a 1 1/16" from a z32 and rebend the brake lines and get a fitting for it to work or run a dodge 1500 ohevy 3/4 ton and get new lines or reflare and make a t for the front brakes.

What did you do for the brake line conversion?

I had custom brakelines made, at first I tried using all the adapters and stainless lines like Barry did, but eventually went to custom-made rubber lines. Personal preference.

What did you do for the drive shaft conversion?

I had Barry build me a driveshaft, my front axle is further forward of where Calmini intended so the typical adapter/XJ shaft wouldn't work.

Where did you get your new gears for the axle? and What gears do you recomend i use for 35" tires?

I bought used 4.88s for the front off a local forum, and used 4.9s from an Xterra off a guy on nissan4wheelers. For 35s I'd recommend 4.88/4.9s or 5.13/5.14s, either should work alright.

How did you attach the steering linkage to the steering box/ pitman arm?

I tapered an extra Nissan pitman arm to fit the Waggy TREs, I think any TRE from a Dana 44 is the same (older Jeep/Chevy/etc). Sometimes Calmini will sell their beefy pitman arms singly, I would get one and taper it if I had to do it again.

What did you do for shocks and shock mounts?

I used some Trail Gear shock mounts and chopped them a little to fit the frame. Then I flexed out the truck and measured for compression and extension, and got the appropriate shocks. I got cheap ones but people usually go for something nice like Rancho RS5000s or RS9000s.

What spring or leafs did you use?

I used Rancho 44044s SUA, moved ahead about 4" from where Calmini wants it. I get a little bumpsteer and the hanger sits a little further forward of where I'd like, but I like the way it wheels and flexes and the 34s (TrXus) stay out of the fenders with no bumpstops on my HB. With the way the frame bends and the shackles forward of the body mount, I switched the shackles side to side, and they work great.

The Calmini truck uses 44044s with one spring removed, SOA. I didn't have a problem with bolts as someone suggested, and I don't see how the Calmini shackle in any position would keep from hitting the frame, or needing a window cut in it. My shackles hit the frame a little bit but it hasn't caused any big issues yet.

It sits a little lower than this now, with a slightly better rear shackle angle.

truck1.jpg

Dirty chopped TG shock hoops

tgshockhoop.jpg

An idea of how far forward the front hanger is

truck2.jpg

cross over steer and high steer go hand in hand jarred.

You can do it, but it will be really high.

You will also have to move a pan hard bar up wich will cause clearance issues with oil pan.

I think you will loose travel with high steer.

i didnt think that cross over and highsteer were necersarrily the same thing. i thought crossover steering meant that the drag link and tie rod attach seperatly where as high steer could be a inverted T system or a crossover system. you could do a crossover system and not have the whole thing be highsteer if you still attached the tie rod to the lower portion of the knuckles instead of the highsteer arms

if you have high steer, you have crossover.

but just because you have cross over doesn't mean you have high steer.

cross over is a generic term used when the drag link, crosses over from one side of the frame to the other.Vs the push pull system where the drag link is connected to the top of the drivers side knuckle. thats called "push pull"

The Calmini kit works fine. The problem is everyone has their own ideas or budgets on how it should be built.

Their build is based on Rancho 44044's minus the second leaf. The steering on their rig is also on purpose being full high steer only gets in the way on the pitman arm. By connecting the drag link to a high steer arm on the passenger knuckle a guy eliminates a bit of bump steer. However a guy bypasses a bunch of heartache by leaving the tierod position alone. The holes are big for a reason... the shackle goes at an angle through the hole. It will not fit through otherwise. I have to admit, I didn't use the jig either (plasma torch), but this kit designed for a fella that doesn't have 10K or more in tools.

This kit will really piss off a rookie! Chalk it off as a learning experience. And... do yourself a favor and never weld the parts permanently until you absolutely know they are in a good position. I would post pics of my build here but it would just confuse the situation being I did none of the above. However it is easy enough to send a PM over on roninwheelers...

DSC02634800x600.jpg

Edited by AK9849cy

• 2 weeks later...