93 SE not heating up in cold weather...1/2 radiator blocked

audiwhore

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing fan and shroud, drive belts and pulleys, all that fun stuff. Is there a way to not have to do that on the VG30E? That is how the manual says to do it

Does the housing look like the pic I posted? I thought the difference between engines was only with the injection units.

All I had to do was what I posted above, with the addition of removing the idler pully for the AC compressor. (I left mine off since my AC doesn't work) and that was a matter of 5 extra min and a socket wrench.

Overall it took me about an hour, mostly from fighting the stupid little hose attaching to the housing.

Edited by kingman92010

after reading this thread at least I know I'm not the only one whose pathy runs cold.

though mine constantly idles at 1k. doesn't matter what temp things are at. first start of the day, or middle of 2 hours of hours of continuous running.

My 93 idles around 700 and usually gets up to just under halway on the temp gauge year round (any higher and my elec. fan kicks on).

just the thread i was looking for. every year my pathfinder has its temp gauge right in the middle of C & H. this year its always below it. like i could drive it for 2+ hours and it still wont go too the middle.

I'm guessing its the T-stat as well. my heating never is as hot as it used to be.

you think the T-stat is causing irratic idling and black umm gunk coming out of the exhaust?? yeah i dunno :shrug:

just the thread i was looking for. every year my pathfinder has its temp gauge right in the middle of C & H. this year its always below it. like i could drive it for 2+ hours and it still wont go too the middle.

I'm guessing its the T-stat as well. my heating never is as hot as it used to be.

you think the T-stat is causing irratic idling and black umm gunk coming out of the exhaust?? yeah i dunno :shrug:

tstat shouldn't cause erratic idling. the idle is affected by the signal it receives from the coolant temp sensor, and the IAC. If one or both are bad you will get an erratic idle. ALSO low coolant will cause issues. In your case I believe it to be an IAC issue. the dark exhaust is a symptom(?) of running rich.

tstat shouldn't cause erratic idling. the idle is affected by the signal it receives from the coolant temp sensor, and the IAC. If one or both are bad you will get an erratic idle. ALSO low coolant will cause issues. In your case I believe it to be an IAC issue. the dark exhaust is a symptom(?) of running rich.

or crappy fuel.

for the erratic idle or the dark exhaust?

either way, you are correct.

maybe he should toss some Heet into the tank (can't hurt)

this is why i love this forum. ill look into those two issues. I'm sure it isn't low coolant(that was the problem in my accord a couple days ago)

but COULD be crappy fuel. this poor idle is only at start or 20min of warming up. and right now around here its about -25C or -13F so i don't think the cold helps at alll.

*apologies to the OP for the off topic posts* ill continue this issue, (if i dont figure it out) in another thread. :scratchhead:

this is why i love this forum. ill look into those two issues. I'm sure it isn't low coolant(that was the problem in my accord a couple days ago)

but COULD be crappy fuel. this poor idle is only at start or 20min of warming up. and right now around here its about -25C or -13F so i don't think the cold helps at alll.

*apologies to the OP for the off topic posts* ill continue this issue, (if i dont figure it out) in another thread. :scratchhead:

Eh, no big deal.

I decided to do a timing belt job on this rig along with the t-stat later this week. The last timing belt change done on the vehicle was at 63K miles.....it now has 211K miles.

Eh, no big deal.

I decided to do a timing belt job on this rig along with the t-stat later this week. The last timing belt change done on the vehicle was at 63K miles.....it now has 211K miles.

Yikes! :ohno01:

Yikes! :ohno01:

I know. I've been driving it around in +3 feet of snow praying it won't break on me. Been keeping the revs low just in case it does snap. Heading to the dealer today to buy the belt and other assorted parts.

What parts do I need to replace while I'm in there?

typically the water pump, timing belt, t-stat, cam seals, ps belt, AC belt, alt belt all get done at the same time when you need ot do the water pump. The t-belt does not require removal of the rear cover so you can skip the cam seals and water pump of you think they are ok.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE....

Things are good now. Replaced the thermostat with OE Nissan type. Fan clutch is fine. Flushed the coolant, added new fluid and heater and temp are working good. Temp gauge goes up to about 1/4 which is twice what it was before. Got hot air out the vents. Must have been a faulty thermostat.