transmission coolers and tow hitches

QuismO

Looks like the Hayden built cooler I just bought at advance auto parts. I think I paid about $60. I bought an extra transmission cooler hose just to make sure I had enough length. I haven't installed mine yet. Maybe this weekend.

Does that one come with the mounting hardware and clamps?

Any trans cooler is better than no trans cooler. It's all a matter of fin design as to which one will cool more efficiently, and I think the Haydens have the best design. I know that Uhaul does not make their towing equipment, they have a major manufacturer do it for them, and they just label the stuff.

You can't really go wrong, unless you have some moron install the hitch and screw up.

true, one is better than none. my understanding from other threads is that no pump is needed right? pressure drives the fluid through the cooler i'm assuming. i guess $49 isn't too bad since i can pick it up from a local uhaul rental center. thanks for the input folks.

oh and btw, i installed a hidden hitch from e-trailer.com and really like the curved tubular look over some of the square right-angle uhaul trailers i've seen on several pathys. i purchased and installed the wiring harness from them too. they also sell transmission coolers too. take a glance when you have a chance.

Here's an old picture showing my "Hidden Hitch:" (Note, the backup lights are no longer there, and there are a lot more stickers now...haha)

normal_img_1503.jpg

*Click to enlarge - I hope...*

I really like how it protects the back of my truck. I can use it as a step to get up to the roof rack, or as a battering ram in traffic...hehe.

Why thank you....She thanks you too!

Though, she's missing part of the rear bumper now...oops.

Hopefully that's going to get taken care of fairly soon. I've been working on drawings for a new rear bumper...:D

I was wondering, is this the stock tranny fluid cooler (outlined in red)? it's sitting in front of the radiator with two hoses (traced in green). Pardon my paintbrush skills hehe. if so, i'm assuming that i can just swap in a bigger cooler with hoses that are a tad longer to compensate for the height. wrong?

tranny.jpg

Up to `97 (not including the LE) had a trans cooler stock. The later models and LEs had them integrated with the radiator.

This mean my 2002 Chilkoot already has the tranny cooler from factory?

It did look like a few extra pipes and a silver cylinder were in there against the fins but it had no hitch installed when I bought it so I assumed it was not a cooler setup.

C.

Yes, but NOT the kind you think it does.

That cylinder is an oil sump.

UP TO and including the 1997 model year, other than the 1997 LE had external transmission coolers. AFTER 1997, the transmission was cooled by a separate core in the radiator.

ALL vehicles have some sort of transmission cooling device, otherwise automakers would be having millions upon millions of transmission warranty claims ever 500 miles. Without any sort of cooling, a transmission will reach temperatures over 300*F, at which point, you're lucky to get 10 miles out of it.

It is RECOMMENDED that you install an AUXILLIARY EXTERNAL cooler to Augment the existing internal cooler for a GREATER cooling capability.

Yes, but NOT the kind you think it does.

That cylinder is an oil sump.

UP TO and including the 1997 model year, other than the 1997 LE had external transmission coolers. AFTER 1997, the transmission was cooled by a separate core in the radiator.

ALL vehicles have some sort of transmission cooling device, otherwise automakers would be having millions upon millions of transmission warranty claims ever 500 miles. Without any sort of cooling, a transmission will reach temperatures over 300*F, at which point, you're lucky to get 10 miles out of it.

It is RECOMMENDED that you install an AUXILLIARY EXTERNAL cooler to Augment the existing internal cooler for a GREATER cooling capability.

Will do.

Thx.

yea i'm going to replace that little dinky thing...it's banged up from all the bugs/pebbles/debris and what not...maybe i'll change the radiator while i'm at it.