frame crossmember re attachment

adamzan

The rear frame crossmember broke off, body in really nice shap and so is the rest of the frame exept in that area, not to many miles, clean running engine, but i do live in ontario so... Yeah anyways how much would't it cost to fix this, I don't wanna junk this truck because it looks real nice and runs real well.

Edited by redfinder

would you being this yourself? search around in the garage section and here for "frame repair"... there's been a couple of write ups about making the necessary repairs yourself ;):aok:

Pictures would give us a better idea, but yes, it can probably be fixed. I have NO idea how much though. I'd look for a custom/fab shop and have them take a look. I'm assuming neither you or anyone you know is up to doing it.

B

Yea i thought about doing it myself, actually alot of my friends volunteerd to help me but I called a shop and told them exactly what happend and they ballparked 200-500 maybe more. Its a good truck though! It would be a shame to junk it just because one part is bad.

Yea i thought about doing it myself, actually alot of my friends volunteerd to help me but I called a shop and told them exactly what happend and they ballparked 200-500 maybe more. Its a good truck though! It would be a shame to junk it just because one part is bad.

:nono: no junky junky. johnny 5 can be fixed. got a friend who can weld? then yer gunna be able to fix it ;)

• 2 weeks later...

here are the pics, sorry i couldnt figure out how to put them directly on the forum

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/5540/im000562rw2.jpg

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/1140/im000563me5.jpg

this last one is just a pic of the poor old girl now, not much body rust.

http://img437.imageshack.us/img437/4762/im000565ct9.jpg

the best thing is i got it for free, from my dad

Edited by redfinder

Someone needs to pay more attention to the underbody with a pressure washer and degreaser before taking pics. If that represents just the outside of the frame, you're in for some real welding and cutting to get it rust-free.

Ill tell you the story of what happend.

The guy who owned it before my dad was a nut and he decides one day, hey lets go mudding in a farm field, im all for that too but he never cleaned it and that was over 6 years ago so when my dad bought it he never knew of all the crap that lingered inside.

There was more in there but a friend and i have managed to clean alot of it out. Also i have gone around to the whole frame with a ball peen hammer and whacked the daylights out of it and i found all the rust holes.

I will do as soon as i get time. Also is it ok to move it around the property in its condition? so far i just go really slow and try to avoid braking to reduce stress.

oh and is it common for the crossmember to fall off on these model years?

Edited by redfinder

Not "common", but it happens often enough to make it a noted occurrence. The steel they used wasn't top grade and they didn't rust-proof it enough, so anything that stayed inside the frame (water, dirt, salt, sand) usually started rusting it away from the inside first. Most people just don't do anything to the underside of their car often enough to notice that it's rusting away beneath their butt silently. Undercarriage washing and degreasing is a must if you live in a salted road area, then oil treatment or some other type of rust proofing should be done to deter rust.

So after i fix it what kind of rust prevention should i apply? Just a basic oil spray inside the framerails and on the rest of the truck?

I remember my dad having it oil sprayed once like 4 years ago but other than that i don't know what was done to it. The frame damage was discovered last september and its been sitting ever since. We took it in to costco to get new tires in august and i can't belive they didn't say anything... IDIOTS oh well at least i got 4 new bridgestone dueller 31's for free

Edited by redfinder

I have a friend down for a while, actually who will help me attempt to fix it.

Im going to the metal supermarket soon to buy some metal for something else im working on. I wanna buy some metal plate for the pathy frame or a U piece of metal that could replace the rotted out sections. Anyways how thick of metal should i use for this. I was thinking 1/4' steel but maybe i should get something thicker.

Would like to hear your 2 cents

thanks

Thanks for the advice, I'll advise on the progress once i get some time.

Also i was just wondering, after the frame is fixed and passes inspection, would it be possible to add a reese hitch? or would there be to much stress for the poor old frame?