Stupid %$#%$#@!

cdhicks99

OMG what did I get into! I have beat and banged for about 4 hrs. so far and still can't get the R. driveshaft bolts broke loose, driver side T-bar wont slide out, blew a seal on my floor jack, jammed back window into the garage door, and popped my shoulder out!

Any tips or a magic potion I can pour on the stubborn parts?

I had originally planned on having this done by the end of this weekend......maybe not!

T-Bar... Tap lightly with a hammer :P you did loosen the 3 bolts on the LCA???

No. I have removed the adjuster and crossmember.

I guess I could remove it also I didn't want to though.

so far you mentioned the easiest parts of the job man!

my advice is to get more quality tequila.

I know, looking further ahead I can see even bigger problems coming soon!

But until I get the driveshaft out I can't move on!

I was hitting the bolt side w/ an impact for about 3min. straight and got no movement.

I know, looking further ahead I can see even bigger problems coming soon!

But until I get the driveshaft out I can't move on!

I was hitting the bolt side w/ an impact for about 3min. straight and got no movement.

Impact tools are garbage compared to what human muscle can do. Lock the nut on the pinion with a wrench, then use a breaker bar to get the bolt loose. I did that last week... worked like a charm. It's only a 10mm thread in there put some anger into it.

Have you been soaking yer stuff in WD40, Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster? that makes a big difference for stuff that hasn't been taken apart in years.

As to the torsion bars, I had trouble taking out the bars from the mounts, but as soon as I took the front LCA mount off (the three magic bolts/nuts) and soaked the t-bars in penetrating lubricant it came right off.

EDIT: beaten to the PB Blaster by 88 by seconds. P...

Edited by Filthy Luker

the 3 nuts on the LCA where the torsion bar meets the LCA need to be taken off or atleast loosened. for somereason the torsions won't come out unless you do that..

as far as the drive shaft bolts... when the impact doesn't work.. ditch it and use the proper socket and breaker bar to bust it loose.. then use the impact to quickly remove it the rest of the way...

Bingo with the loosening of the front 3 bolts for the t-bars, the splines seem to bind. Same for using PB blaster but NOT WD-40 !! :rolleyes: Agreed that there is no substitute for a breaker bar. Soak the bolts, lock a wrench on the nut and give it a mighty heave ho !! They'll come loose, or you will tear the head off. Either way, the bolt is out... :D

Easy on the shoulder though Bud, it only gets worse and the surgery sucks !!

B

top tranny bolts... a really long extension with a swivel on the socket end.

in the FSM i think it says to drop the entire thing together...but.. i think thats insane.. i would pull the t-case first then the tranny.

Ditto in the 18" or preferable 24" extension.

Don't touch the transfer case unless you need to for some reason. I dropped the tranny with the two attached and it wasn't really any harder... :shrug:

B

The Drivers side top bell housing bolt is easy... 2-3' extension and a wobble....

Passenger side you need the same set up... just a pain to get at... if you have a second person directing you its easy P...

get a swivel for the upper bell housing bolts it makes live a lot better...

u can barely fit a wrench behind the LCA but it will fit but i thought it was a 14? i could be mistaken (that might be for the 2 smaller 1's)

i would say drop them together...its a lil tougher getting it back up in there without a tranny jack i always throw a tow strap thru the shifter hole but u'd have to pull that plate off i think if i remember right on the auto's

PB is great stuff but if the mist gets in ure eyes it burns really bad...just dont drop anything on ure hands/arms/fingers