Pinched Nerve

dagwoodzz

Last May I hurt myself cutting up with the kids. This caused me to have shooting pains from my lower back down to my left calf. Being somewhat tall and really lanky lower back pains come and go for me.

This one never went so the Doctor got to meet me today. She says it's a pinched nerve. gave some some drugs for pain and swelling. She didn't sound to encouraging and flat out told me the NFL career dream is over.

She did say that the swelling should eventually go down but would likely reoccur when aggrevated.

For the moment, the sharpest pain is when I press the clutch and look left. That hurts like a mother.

I'm looking at the clutch and the accelerator and beginning to think it would not be impossible to switch the two. It will be a lot easier for me if I clutched with the right foot instead of the left. Has anyone ever seen this done on any car before? I've seen handicap drivers who apparently had no foot controls. It does sound dangerous if not professionally done.

Might be fun to park it in a lot popular among car thieves and video tape them attempting to steal it. It would also insure Wifey will never drive it. All kinds of advantages.

I had a pinched nerve between L4 and L5 a few years ago. Holy freaking god man! I could barely stand up. I know exactly what you're goin through, and it sucks a big hairy one. Hopefully, you get something figured out.

Might be worth considering an Autotragic for the time being...at least until your back problems clear up.

I'm sure it could be done reasonably easily and safely, but the automagic tranny sounds like a better choice... Do you really want to retrain yourself to operate a clutch "backwards" ?? How many times will you goof badly ? What about the next car ? Sorry about the back issues, everything else is attached to it so it can be quite problematic. I've been there before and I'm sure I'll deal with it again... :angry:

B

Do you really want to retrain yourself to operate a clutch "backwards" ?? How many times will you goof badly ? What about the next car ?

No not at all. The Auto tranny is the logical option.

Dr. gave me Celebrex for swelling and Cyclobenzaprine a muscle relaxer. The Celebrex was working within a couple of hours. I could feel the pain subsiding. Last night took two muscle relaxer, didn't need them but it was legal. You have to take advantage of these opportunities. sly

Slept really well and feel like Superman today. Just some slight tightness in the leg.

In the Pathy I moved the seat way up so I don't have to extend my leg fully to engage the clutch. That helps a lot. Now the steering wheel hides the top of the Speedo and the Tach. I catch myself driving to slow. Getting old is something you have to be good at. I'm not that good at it!

dont get me started on sore backs! My doc gave me enough oxy codines for the pain to last me until my appointment with the back doctor. Now im outta pain killers, and havent made an appointment and my dr. wont give me anymore pills :( But ya, i have arthritis in my back, the gewy crap thats suppose to be between all the bones in my spine isnt there like it should be to prevent the bones from touching, so they touch and pinch all the nerves between them. It dont feel real good i tell ya! iget pains to my finger tips, to the behind my ears, down to behind my knees. I just might have to find a street doctor soon. sssh

• 4 weeks later...

update,

Sunday trip to ER. got my first cup of coffee, cruising NPORA, got out of the chair when something zigged when it should of zagged. Pain from lower back down to the ends of the toes. Never had a major injury, but that was the worst pain this body has ever experienced. P...

It took me an hour to convince the ER that it wasn't a kidney stone. They gave me two injections that helped a lot. It ends up I have a herniated disk accompaning the pinched nerve, L4, L5.

Yesterday received an epidural that helped a lot. Today is 1st day back to work. Not to bad just the left foot throbs relentlessly.

Needless to say, no tinkering with Pathy for the next couple months. I did buy some allow wheel paint this weekend. the intent was to wire brush some dark spots and paint the rims gold, and the Nissan logo red. Kind of stole the idea from one the members who wanted yellow. don't tell him. :D Also bought some freon for a re-charge, but need to get the system vacuumed first. I can probably do that without increased pain.

Last Wednesday traded in the wifey's Expedition for a new Honda Odessey. She hates it and me! It's sweet for a mall crawler, the EX-L green slate. I just can't swing 14-15mpg any longer. Advice for the next time, get permission first B4 trading the wifes car, and when arguement ensues do not say "when you get a job I'll let you trade it in"!

That's my life for the last week. I might be a little kinda scarce til things are a little healthier.

Man you have had a rough week dude sorry to hear about teh herniated disk adn pinched nerve. My wife is having all kinds of back problems due to a herniated disk except in her case the herniated disk is portruding inward which is really really bad.. We have seen multiple doctors and tried multiple solutions like steroid shots epidurals next step is accupressure and if that does not work then probably surgery. Not cool.

Surgery I wanna avoid, With the great healthcare plan I'm In the $2500 deduct kicks in at the new calendar year. I'm sure i met the ductible Sunday, so If I decide surgery, It needs to happen this year or it will be another $2500 out the pocket.

Can't knock the insurance too much. Monthy cost is cheap, never came close to meeting deductable until now.

yah a couple years ago i had the pinched nerve/herniated disk i didnt want surgery so i looked at other options and found a good chiropractor man i tell yah i wouldnt be walkin without him oh i found out what i had cause i collapsed behind a car right after a visit to my doctor.... so he said go to the er and they sent me for a ct scan wityhin a couple days but then some rest and chiro really put me back in line worth the money to me

• 3 weeks later...

Harbor Freight had a creeper on sale for $16 bucks. Its pretty comfortable, the headrest adusts. Im laying on it typing away right now.

the back aint getting better, but maybe now I can do few things underneath the pathy. Still need to bleed my brakes and change out my lug nuts.

I'm having crap luck with doctors. Friday a week ago I saw the Nuero Surgeon, He had me get another MRI, b/c the numbness in my leg didn't happen til after my first MRI. He said his nurse would call me Monday or Tuesday. I call nurse Tuesday and she said they got the MRI, but were waiting for the printed report from the MRI doctor. Call her Thursday left message were they planning on calling me or did I need appointment. She call yesterday and tells me they should have made me an appointment before i left for the 1st visit. wtf? She transfers me to scheduling and the chick gives me Sept 7 appointment. I told her I can't wait a month with a numb leg not even knowing what kind of option I've got. She say that the earliest I can get. So i told her send me back to the nurse, leave nurse another message if I have to wait a month after 1st visit I find new doctor. No returned call, so Monday will try to get the General Practitioner to get me appointment with the Surgeon who did back surgery on my Boss.

Osteopath

Those are the guys that are kind of like Chiropractors but practice medicine with therapy? That sounds much better than surgery.

I do need some professional opinions, but I've had two MRI's and don't know any more than I did a month ago. I pisses me off I pay all these bucks for premium health care and I can get just as good attention if I lay up in Charity (state run) hospital. Sorry to rant, but I feel much better now!

heydagwoods

Again I dont want to tell you how to count eggs but Im 6ft6 and get a sore back from time to time heres a breif run down for you.

I hurt my back in January and I found the osteopath had lots of advice for me.I couldnt move much, every time I moved I hurt it. For me it was an inflamed back muscle, that the nerve to my leg went through and was causing shaking, numbness, and it went week.

Im in Australia so I dont know if these creams are called the same where you are but I had the missus rubbing dencorub or deapheat.(sports injury creams)

I also had lots of hot hot baths with Epson Salts in it, that would be magic for about 1/2 an hour, I could do anything after them, so thats why I was having lots.

It took approx5-6 wks to get better and It feels as if your never getting better but it'll get there just relax. try not to drive too much because that'll agrivate it.

Good luck

98path

:allclean:

Edited by 98path