dvd burning/ripping/menu making programs.

iLLlegal

well i bought a dvd burner like 2 days ago.. and ive downloaded alot of movies and I was just wondering what some good programs i should use..

I want to be able to make menus for em and possible ripp dvds on to my computer to.

so what should I get?

:wacko:

hmm ill have to check that. cuz i just burnt kiss kiss bang bang using nero.. and it only plays on one of my dvd players. which is really hmm stupid.

yeah i dont think ill ever buy a mac :D

Yes burned DVD's can be VERY fickle. Some simple recomendations:

1st use high quality DVD-R's. By high quality I mean name brands, I use Verbatim, but Imation, Sony, TDK, etc are also very good. Don't use DVD+R they're not as compatible as DVD-R's.

2nd Burn at very slow speeds, I generally burn at 2x. The slower the burn the better the results are going to be. The rate of failure increases exponentially as you increase burn speed.

3rd Expect to end up with a coaster once in a while. Even with the best media and the slowest burn speeds successful burn rates are still only in the low 90%'s.

Also you're only making back ups of DVD's you own, right? ;):D

haha of course. i only burn backups.. just in case I lose some. :D

yeah it was kinda funny nero didnt ask me what burn speed to set it at. I assume it was slow. i watched the movie and the quality was good so hmm. I'll keep searching and hopefully find out what works best for my dvd player.

I think the problem was the files... were .avi i'll try converting to mpeg before i burn next time. [dvds make better coasters than cds anyway :D ]

thanks ;p

o and dont worry i got a stack of 25discs. but damn does it take forever to burn somethin.

I use DVD X-copy gold from 3-2-1-software but they were driven out of business by the feds.

I make 'car copies' of my DVD's so I have a set for the kids to watch and it's not a big deal when they get left in the sun and warp (damned irresponsible kids!)

Edited by k9sar

I've been using 2 programs called DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. I have about 98% sucess rate with them and I think they're free. Google the names and a link for downloading should pop up. I don't think you can create menus with these programs, but they work excellent for making "backups" of "your" DVDs. The decrypter one reads and creates the .iso file, while shrink puts it on the disc. it might be vice versa, but you get the idea

haha so what if thats my screenname. im not gunna lie i download alot of stuff i dont have time to check if its legit. :hide:

and i think im gunna go with your set up skrilla mabey when its an iso file it will work on my dvd players ;p

All right I think what illegal is trying to do is convert a DivX file, useing the .avi container, into a DVD. To do that the file has to be converted from .avi to .vob by a program. On my setup Toast does that for me, it takes forever but the end result is a DVD that you can pop into a DVD player and it will automatically start playing the movie. The only downside is that when the file is reconverted to .vob format none of the quality is regained from when the movie was compressed into DivX.

What everyone else is talking about are programs to remove the raw data from a DVD and then burn that to a blank DVD-R. If the original DVD was a single layer DVD all you have to do is rip the info off and then burn it. However a lot of commercial DVD's are dual layer. When this happens you have to compress the video and/or remove extras so that it will fit on a single layer DVD. On the mac I use Mac the Ripper to get the video off the DVD and then Toast to both burn and compress the DVD.

would that way you explain sc88 be the same process for .ogg files. im 77% done getting all the escaflowne episodes only 11hrs to go. and it looks like all of them are .ogg .

Yah it's the same for any file format besides .vob DVD players generally can only read that file format. There are some DivX DVD players that will play compressed files, but I'v heard that they have issues. :shrug: