cb issues

94extreme

hmmm. was going to hook up my cb through the cig lighter for now so i can remove it whenver not use but i have some issues and need some ideas.. i have the coax running under the rear seat and out under to the tire carrier where the antenna is.. everything looks fine.. now, i keep blowing the fuse.. seems the cb likes to spark when i attach the coax.. not sure what's the deal.. looked over all the cables again and everything looks fine.. what the heck to i have wrong?

thanks for any advice you can render.

nothing happens when just the antenna is plugged in and no power is not hooked.

i have it plugged in straight to the juice right now (no fuse) and that's how i found out that the antenna sparks. i reversed wires and stuff but no luck as of now..

btw. with no antenna the cb does not come on even if plugged in..

hmmm

Edited by mzxtreme

do you have schematics for the CB? almost sounds like they ground it through the antenna rather than the power cable

hmm... if the case is grounded, and the antenna attaches to a place on the case, and the normal ground wire in the CB is bad, it may try to ground through the case and the antenna. Take off the antenna and do a continuity check between the case or antenna port and the negative on the power cable or plug. If you have an open circuit there, that's a problem. That could also explain why no power without the antenna (no ground, hence no electron flow :) )

Edited by k9sar

you have + and - in the cig lighter but if your - in the CB or plug is bad, it'll ground through something else rather than the cig lighter.

'if' the case were metal, it'd be tied into the ground as well for safety. SOunds like you're not making your - connection at the plug

Edited by k9sar

quick check of the power cord should be fairly easy. Open the case and find where the ground wire mounts to the circuit board. Test continuity from that point to the plug. open circuit is bad. Could be as simple as a broken wire in the plug (not too uncommon if people have unplugged it by pulling the wire rather than grabbing the plug)

Edited by k9sar

^^^lol.

new plug that i just put on and now have off and just hooked into the fuse box.

the wires inside go through the cirquit board and disappear under somehwere.. gonna try to get under the board

thanks

Why is this in the How-To section? Sheesh.

It's "How To Electrocute Yourself/Short Out Your Dash/Start an Electrical Fire" thread.... :D

Sheesh, and by a Mod no less !!!! P...

Just lick the wires like you would a 9 volt MZ... :P

B