No power, help please!

Guest romeo0119

Guest romeo0119

I have a prob with my 2001 LE pathfinder, this morning i went and put the keys in the ignition and when I turn it on, there is no indicator lights, my power seat doesn't work, there is absolutely no power whatsoever in the car. I hook up the jumper cable to another car and turn the key, same prob, check all the fuse box inside and the one out in the engine bay, all of them are good. The only thing i can think that might have cause this prob is the starter wire and the constant v12 wire on the ignition harness, I read it some where it might have been a bad ignition switch, does anyone ever had this prob? Please help, I have a dead car n no other transportation right now.

Check the battery connection at both ends. Specifically the ground connection. Since all power is dead it probably isnt an iginition switch.

Have you been wheeling lately? If yes: In watery conditions? If so, check the alternator - could be dead. Its been known to happen.

When you turn the key over do you hear ANY noises whatsoever?

Let us know. Good luck with the diagnosis

Guest romeo0119

When I turn the key, there is nothing at all, no noise, no light, nothing at all. I don't use my car off-road, just home and work that's all. I check all cable and fuses, the funny thing is if i bang on the dash or the steering wheel the power comes back on. I read it at another site some guy said that it was the ignition switch that went bad on his car. Anyone ever encounter this prob

You may be onto something with the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is bad, then it would definitely result in the behavior you described. (A bad ignition switch will act like the key is off, no matter what position it's in.)

If your headlights and/or dome lights still work, then it's definitely the ignition switch.

Ignition switch is a definate possibility, but I like to start with the most basic. Disconnect the battery and clean the termineals thoroughly with a good wire bruch and some baking soda and water. most power problems we see are related to a couple items to rule out. (and they are just good maintenance checks anyways):

Clean terminals & wire connectors

Take the battery to Autoxzone or some such and have it checked

If the battery is Drained & cannot be charged - that is most likely the problem

If the battery is drained, but will hold a charge - it is most likely the alternator

If you connect jumper cables and still do not get any power it could still be the battery as a shorted battery can produce the same symptoms.

Finally it could be the ignition switch.

Hope it is simply corroded terminals for your sake:-)

Ignition switch is a definate possibility, but I like to start with the most basic.

the funny thing is if i bang on the dash or the steering wheel the power comes back on.

Definitely the ignition switch.

Guest romeo0119

Well guys, I check the battery, everything is clean, I know it's not the battery that's bad because even when I hook up the jumper cable there is still no power, i turn the key and nothing, no click from the starter, no dome light, no head light, it just like the car have no battery connect to it. What could be the problem?

so...please clarify...

I understand that you have nothing when you turn the ignition key

do you have dome lights when you open your door?

do you have headlights when you turn the switch (no key)?

keyless entry? If so, do the power locks work etc?

This would rule out the ignition switch.

did you check the fusable link off the hot side of your battery?

Poke around in the fusebox... any 12V on either side of any fuse (no key)?

If ground is bad, things won't work but you'll read 12V on a voltmeter (ground probe to frame, not the ground circuitry)

Well guys, I check the battery, everything is clean, I know it's not the battery that's bad because even when I hook up the jumper cable there is still no power, i turn the key and nothing, no click from the starter, no dome light, no head light, it just like the car have no battery connect to it. What could be the problem?

OK, your updated description points towards either:

1) poorly connected ground cable

2) 100A "BATTERY" fuse is blown.

3) :confused:

I had a similair problem. The car would sit and there and the battery would eventually die. The problem was my rear wiper motor. It was fried and it tried to work and was draining all my battery power even when the car was off.

This is a longshot, but poke at the wires with your key and see if they pop. I've had two cars do this to me now...the battery wires corroded on the inside. They looked fine, but after I poked it a little they were brittle and powder came out. Swapped the wires and went on my merry way. Your dome light should be coming on if it was the ign switch.

I would be checking the ) 100A "BATTERY" fuse first then all the wires and conections between the battery and the first main bank of fuse's plus any relay that may be in that black box (thats the one near the battery) i put a attchment in hope it works havent done this before

post-7-1151805212.jpg

Edited by parthy

• 1 year later...
I had a similair problem. The car would sit and there and the battery would eventually die. The problem was my rear wiper motor. It was fried and it tried to work and was draining all my battery power even when the car was off.

Hey. My 1999.5 has no rear wiper functions (even the washer fluid) at all. . . i figured it was probably the relay but after reading about your motor going bad and Me just having to replace my battery I think there is a common problem here. Have you fixed this problem and if so, how??? I really miss my rear wiper!!