2000 Pathfinder ... RUST PROBLEMS?!?

Guest olimess

Guest olimess

Hello everyone.

I'm a SOON to be Nissan Pathfinder owner! I have recently placed a down payment on a 2000 Nissan Pathfinfer LE and am looking to pay it in full after inspection by my mechanic early next week.

Firstly, let me say that I LOVE these SUV's and have wanted one for quite some time. Through the majority of reviews I have read, the Pathfinder seems to come out on top and is a fairly reliable vehicle.

The one thing that I have noticed and have read in reviews is that the Pathfinders are highly prone to rust. In fact, all the Pathfinders I have viewed while looking to purchase have had some rust, especially around the windows and the back wiper pivot.

Are they really that bad? How can I repair/protect against this if I do go ahead with the purchase of the Pathfinder? I don't want to pay a mint taking it to the body shop that;s for sure.

Any suggestions/resources would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Olimess

Guest olimess
So is mine....and I lived in Salt City, USA.

I live in Ontario Canada ... just southwest of Toronto.

You'll have to explain something to me ... what is R50 and WD21? All I know is that I'm about to purchase a 2000 LE. It's a sweet ride that's for sure.

So you guys haven't really noticed rusting around the window and in other areas for 2000+ pathfinders? I wish I lived where you guys do .... all I seemed to find here was Pathfinders with little rust problems here and there.

I REALLY want to purchase this vehicle and the first priority is to get any rusting under control. That's why I'm here. I figured some of you might have had this problem.

Olimess

We have another member, Pezzy, who lives just East of Toronto who has a 99.5 (same as the 2000), and I didn't notice any rust on her truck when I last saw it.

I have lived until this past March in Rochester, NY, so the weather and road conditions are very similar to Southern Ontario, and I have virtually no rust on my truck, with the exception of some surface rust on the untreated surfaces on the undercarriage.

R50/WD21 are the model/chassis designations for the different Pathfinders (this can all be found elsewhere on the forums, but I've got a minute...:lol:)

R50 are the Pathfinders with Model Years 1996-2004.

WD21 are the model year 1987-1995.

Thats the biggest annoyance I noticed when shopping for our 'Q. Of the at least 70 '01-'03 Pathy's and Q's we looked at maybe 5 didn't have rust bubbling up under the rubberized window trim. And dont get me started on the wiper arms, I'm trying to get the the 'Q from my wife long enough to sand and paint them. We searched for our truck from Belville to Toronto. I have noticed this on many, many Nissans even on my wifes 90 and 87 Sentras. I have been hoping to find a fix as I feel it will eventually happen to our 'Q..... not having the rust bubbles was a big selling point.

I really thought this was a common problem but judging from the responses here we must have run into a unique cross-section of Nissan vehicals.

My 2 c's.

Markus

hmm, i literally dont have a spec of rust on my truck, no bubbles or anything, on the wd21's the major spot is the frame and floor and i beleive nissan even said something about the frame rot issue

I live in Ontario Canada ... just southwest of Toronto.

You'll have to explain something to me ... what is R50 and WD21? All I know is that I'm about to purchase a 2000 LE. It's a sweet ride that's for sure.

So you guys haven't really noticed rusting around the window and in other areas for 2000+ pathfinders? I wish I lived where you guys do .... all I seemed to find here was Pathfinders with little rust problems here and there.

I REALLY want to purchase this vehicle and the first priority is to get any rusting under control. That's why I'm here. I figured some of you might have had this problem.

Olimess

I have an '01 Pathy and live near Toronto, Ontario. In the beginning of '05 I was looking at '01 to '03 Pathy's, and every single one of them had rust coming from the back window trim at the bottom. The '03's just had less of it, the '01's had more, but they all had it. I bought an '01 that had the trim rust on both sides, and a wiper arm. That's just how they are. But there's absolutely no rust on the body anywhere, or on any Pathy I've seen of those years, come to think of it.

If you're picky, you can buy new wiper arms and and replace the window trim, but it will rust again eventually, especially with our winter climate & salted roads...

Joe.

No rust at all on my 02 (I am in BC). And none on the half dozen or so I looked at when buying or any of the ones running around town here. The front wiper arms need new paint but no rust.

I think it more of an eastern Canada thing with that stuff they use on the roads in winter. That is why used cars/trucks are more expensive in BC than points east, or so I am told :P

One potential area of concern that I found on my 02 was during the second or third time I washed it, I had the front doors open and noted some water at the bottom rear of the front right fender. There are drain holes at the bottom and on mine, the right one was plugged with dirt and rotten leaves.

I know make sure I wash those out every other wash or so.

As vengeful said, I'm just east of Toronto... my truck is pretty much rust free.

I had that same issue with the window molding on the back bubbling, I even had them replaced fall 2004 when I played smash up derby with the truck, and theyre starting up again. I dont know how much they are to replace, as it was worked in with the rest of the body work, but I do know it's not cheap.

My wiper arms are not rusty, but the paint has flaked off, so theyre black & silver... now... look pretty dumb, but Ive been too lazy to pull them off & repaint them.

When I bought the truck - June 04 - it had a few little rust bubbles here and there, but they could have been started by stone chips or the like, I really dont know, but I had those fixed as part of the contract to buy the truck...

Right now it has some cancer on my PS front fender, right at the top of the wheel well, I noticed it has started to bubble... this might be a flaw on part of the body shop that fixed my truck, as that fender was fixed (not sure if it was replaced) and repainted. I dont care much about it now, as it's the one I mutilated @ the NorEaster, so it will be replaced soon enough.

olimess, where abouts are you?

if youre close to Brampton, I would suggest checking out Brampton North Nissan, they're an amazing dealership... many of the members on www.nissantruckclub.com (club based out of southern ontario - mostly Xterra owners) use that dealership. I found my baby there B)

Guest olimess

I'm located in Kitchener Ontario. Only those of you in Ontario would really know where that is. (Unless your of German background as well since we hold the BIGGEST OKTOBERFEST festival this side of the Atlantic).

I've contacted Brampton North Nissan for a Pathfinder. They were unable to locate what I was looking for. I have since found my truck. Waiting for inspection to complete (as we speak!) and if all checks out good, I will get the OK from my mechanic and will purchase the truck.

This truck, like all other I've viewed that are pre-2001, has bubbles (rust? Who knows!) all along most of the window moldings. Also the rear window wiper pivot point is rusting ... along the body that is not the actual pivot point itself. NOT GOOD! I'll have to get that replaced in a hurry!

Guest olimess

Just heard back for the inspection of the Pathfinder I'm thinking of purchasing .... it passed with flying colours! So come tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE!

... back to the topic at hand. I had the vehicle dropped off to a Nissan Dealership's service department to have the inspection done. After receiving the inspection report, I asked him about the window moldings rusting over as well as the back area near the rear wiper pivot point. He said that unfortunately this is common in Pathfinders, especially rusting of the window moldings. Replacement of these moldings are about $100 CAD each. I guess this problem is much more common here in Ontario Canada then in the States ...hmmm?

Congrats on (hopefully) finding your pathy, olimess!

My '96 pathy has one rust bubble on the black window trim, on the driver's side

rear door. It has a second rust bubble, one that is visibly growing, under the paint

where the license plate attaches. The latter is a serious concern for me; the one

on the window has always been there and has never grown.

What $$ should I expect for a rust spot repair on the hatch, about 2" x 1" in area,

in terms of repair costs? Anyone experienced in this, since Pathys tend not to rust?

• 4 weeks later...

Well also being from Ontario I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents. I have a 99 LE, and it had a bad spot on the rear door, but not around the window, down where the plastic mount is located on the right side of the rear license plate. Dealership hid it from me pretty well, (screwed on the dealer plate, instead of hanging it on the back wiper). Didn't know about it until rust stains started running out from under my license plate.... (arghhhh). The only other spot(s) I have had a major issue not caused from stone chips is on the front bumper caps. Both rotted through from the inside out, Max Stryker gave me a great deal on a used set and we'll have to see how long they last. I was talking to a friend at work that has a 98, and he complained about rust around his back window, and his bumper caps where in identical state to mine, must be the salt etc up here.

Congrats and good luck with your new truck!