Should you hear any change in sound with clutch in

zack1978

Hey everyone,

My 1995 SE-V6 with 169,000 miles on it seems to being doing well, except the rust! My clutch was just replaced at 155,000 miles for the first time. At that point I did a new master and slave and a complete clutch, all from NIssan. Today I just happened to notice that when you push in the clutch pedal you notice that any sounds from the trans stop. With the pedal out you hear a slight almost hissing sound from the trans area. The sound is faint, but it is noticable that it is gone when you push the pedal in! Is that normal? Or is there something going bad in my trans? Anyone?

Thnaks,

Zack

You mean when at a stop, right?

Yes, a hiss with the clutch out is OK. When you push the clutch in, it disconnects the engine from the input shaft of the trans. When you let the clutch out in neutral, the engine is now connected to the input shaft of the trans and now that shaft is spinning - so you may near a LITTLE noise from things moving around in there. And if you have the upper bearing going out, it becomes more like a rumble or hum or whine or maybe even louder.

You have read this, right?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Normally a throw out bearing is only noisy when the clutch pedal is pressed. Although I'm a total noob to WD21's, I'd wager it's the same problem as most 80's Nissans suffer..noisy input shaft bearing. I've known some to be very noisy in the past but never known one to fail so I don't think it's something worth worrying about.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...
You mean when at a stop, right?

Yes, a hiss with the clutch out is OK. When you push the clutch in, it disconnects the engine from the input shaft of the trans. When you let the clutch out in neutral, the engine is now connected to the input shaft of the trans and now that shaft is spinning - so you may near a LITTLE noise from things moving around in there. And if you have the upper bearing going out, it becomes more like a rumble or hum or whine or maybe even louder.

You have read this, right?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

DAMMMMMMM I guess my trans is on it's way out, as I have the whine in every gear except 4th! So what is involoved in a rebuild? Do I need a new trans case?

Zack

Normally, no, although it you drive it until a catastrophic failure, maybe...

Try just changing the tranny fluid (synthetic if you can afford it) and fill it per the TSB link. Then drive and monitor it. It may improve... Regardless, you are just out a few $ for oil, worth a shot in my book.

B

• 2 weeks later...

HEy everyone,

Well I guess that I am SOL with respect to the trans. I had the oil added to the correct height and the noise is still there. The noise is loudest in 5th gear. The trans shop said keep driving it until it get very loud, then stop. If you drive it when it is ver loud and a bearing lets go you will ruin your entire trans. DAMMMMM

Zack

• 2 weeks later...

Swapping to the higher level of Redline synthetic did not eliminate the noise in mine, but it has NOT gotten any worse in the year since. If it is only a little worn, good lube may keep it from degrading further for quite a while.

Normally a throw out bearing is only noisy when the clutch pedal is pressed.

yea mine is a really loud howl on cool/humid mornings

The trans shop said keep driving it until it get very loud, then stop.

drive it till the wheels fall off :lol:

well hopefully it'll last for a while longer

My first 1990 had the 5th gear whine in it, and it was getting worse. So I got it rebuilt (worth every penny... shifted perfectly, and smoothly) but it did cause a cramp in the wallet for a while. (and I work a KFC so it was a big cramp) but still worth it. Changeing the oil viscosity will only prolong the enevitible, falure, and not by long. I would recommend having it rebuilt if at all possible, and by a respectibly tranny place. They are complecated little bugers, and it has to be put together perfectly or you will be in a @!*% load of trouble. But rebuilding the tranny in my first pathy was by far the best thing I did to that thing... (oh and I still have the main rear bearing out of it, and it is SOOOO pitted, it is insane... and the first one was basicly destroyed... so yeah... get it rebuit!!!!)