Oil Filter location on '97 SE 4x4

ntwrkguy1

I've used the search function for the last 20 minutes, and have come up empty. I did learn a few things (location on the 90-95's is a PITA, some people have gone with filter relo kit, etc) but I can't seem to find any post describing the exact location.

The owner's manual does a horrible job (shows a drawing of the filter, but doesn't give any details of where it might be!).

I know there is a shroud under the Pathy -- does that need to be removed to get to the filter? I can handle a messy filter change, since the filter location on an '01 Ford Taurus guarantees you'll get oil over you and the exhaust pipe!

Can anybody provide a precise location for the '97? Or should I just take it to my friend over at Precision Tune?

Thanks in advance,

David

Edited by ntwrkguy1

Yup, oil filter is hiding above the splash guard, nearly directly above the steering rack.

And before you pull it off, be sure to drape some rags over the power steering unit, as oil will drip all over it. This is very bad for the steering rack's rubber mount.

To minimize the mess, you can place a ziplock sandwich bag over the filter as you unscrew it. The bag will catch and contain the oil as you remove the filter. This is the strategy I use all the time.

The pics are great.....I guess I'm going to have to invest in a filter wrench, since I don't think I'll be able to twist that one off by hand! I think the last oil change was done by the dealer, and I'm sure they overtightened the filter!