4wd -- a beginner's question(s)

ntwrkguy1

So....my 16 yr old son is curious about the 4wd setup on his '97 SE that I bought for him. Personally, since we live in a well-paved area of NC :), I'd like him to not worry about it.

But being a teenager, he can't leave well enough alone. I've never owned a 4wd in my life (been a car guy, or a 2wd Suburban guy the whole time), and am not sure exactly how to teach him what/how/when to engage 4wd.

If I'm reading the owner's manual correctly, the 4wd shifter should always be in 2H. 4L is for speeds less than 30mph, and 4H is for speeds from 30-50.

To engage 4wd, does it always need to be done from a complete stop? I realize the 'no dry pavement' rule applies (even wet pavement). But let's say he's out in the dirt with friends -- should he shift into 4L while he is stopped? And does he need to depress the clutch to go into 4L? And what gear should the regular shifter be in at this point?

Thanks in advance for your patience.....I should have bought a 2wd for him!! :)

2hi to 4hi is shift on the fly. 4hi to 4lo i always stop otherwise it makes a grinding noise.

As a general rule of thumb, I put the clutch to the floor when doing anything involving the t-case.

theres another thread here http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9476 for more info regarding the 4x4 uses.

Also as a general rule - if you need to be using 4x4 (on snow or ice) there is no need to travel 50mph.

i dont think you have to depress the clutch but do it as a "just incase".

Good rule about snow - but youd be surprised what the pathy is capable of with good tires and a sensible driver in the snow.

no problem with the link

As a general rule, use 2WD on any road that you wouldn't be worried about driving a passenger car on. Use 4HI on low-traction surfaces, such as dirt, sand, mud, snow, at speeds as high as is safe to drive. Technically, you can go as fast in 4HI as you can in 2HI, but it's usually not safe to drive that fast on a low-traction surface. Operate the transmission and modulate speed in 4HI just the same way as in 2HI. The "shift-on-the-fly" system allows you to shift from 2HI to 4HI without stopping the truck.

However, to shift from 4HI to 4LO, the truck must be STOPPED and the transmission in neutral. Push DOWN on the transfer case lever, and while keeping downward pressure on the lever, pull it back swiftly and smoothly until it seems nearly horizontal. This will be 4LO. Do NOT pause or hesitate while shifting or you'll grind the gears and will have to shut off the engine to complete the shift.

Use 4LO when you need maintain very slow, controlled speeds in 1st gear, or to ascend or descend very steep hills, or when you don't anticipate going any faster than 30mph. The stock reduction ratio of 4LO is 2.02:1. So, if you think about the fastest you can go in each gear, just cut that speed in half.

Basically, 4LO will reduce the likelihood that you'll burn the clutch while driving over difficult uneven terrain.

If you and/or your son are inquisitive about the 4WD system on the Pathfinder, the main thing you need to know the Pathfinder has what is known as "part-time 4WD".

For lots of info on the use of 4WD, type "how does 4wd work" into google.

Here's one of the very informative links you may find there:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/

Seems like this thread is done.. So I guess it's not bad to post jack...

If lets say I'm going down a steep hill with loose rocks, could putting the truck in 4LO and the tranny in 1 do anything different than having the tranny stay in D?

If you have the stock sunvisors, push down the drivers side visor. There are pretty good instructions on the back side. Recommend he stop, read, and think the first 3 or 4 times he engages 4wd. It becomes 2nd hand after that.

Let me know if you don't have the visor. I will post a pic that you can print out.