What brand of oil filter do you use

Eric

I have the lifetime oil change through my local dealer, but they are charging too much for the Nissan oil filter. I found fram has one for over 1/2 of what I am paying the dealer. Is there a prefered brand, or a brand that I should stay away from.

PS. The lifetime oil change is paying dividends as with my low mileage, I go in every 3 months and it's been since August of 1995 that I started doing the lifetime oil change. Hmmm (7 Years X 4 times a year), 28 oil changes at probably 20-30 bucks a pop. I think I got my moneys worth :)

Guest tram_bethea

I go to Goodyear for my oil changes. They change the oil, filter, and do a inspection of under the hood for 20 bucks.

I use Fram too, always have, with no problems. Gotta love their grip on the filter, I hate trying to twist loose a nice, slippery, old plain metal filter while your leaning over the fender, scraping up your arm, yada yada. I usually change my own oil unless its really cold out. I'll take it in maybe once a year for a good look.

On another note, has anyone tried the newer "High Mileage" oils out? I used Castrol last time, and it seems to help with a bit of smoking that was developing. Just put it in the Camry over the weekend, and it actually sounds better. Its quieted some of the random groans of the old girl.

Chromotech, we're talking about oil FILTERS, not oil.

I've never heard anything good about Fram filters, by the way. The NAPA Gold filters are good, the K&N filters are way overpriced, and I think Fram makes the Wix filters as well.

All I know is that I've seen people say that Fram filters are crap over and over again. They might be cheap, but the quality sucks.

Look at this webpage for more info. http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Oh, and in response to the original post, how in the world does a nine year old "lifetime" oil change plan still amortize out at $30 a pop? :blink:

When we bought our '95 the dealership offered "lifetime" oil changes, and yeah, the service department charged around $10-11 for a filter. So I'd just go to the parts counter beforehand, buy one for $4, and leave it on the front seat for them to install.

Turns out my lifetime was longer than theirs though, Kirkland Nissan/Subaru lost its Nissan franchise four years ago. Been doing my own work ever since...

Thanks Everybody. I'll have to think about if it's worth the risk of trying a different filter other than the Nissan filter. I am paying $9-10 dollars right now for the filter and gasket.

My son worked at a "Q lube" while in high school, and thought Fram filters were not the best quality. AC Delco were far superior in terms of quality. I've used both in my Pathfinder and if you change the oil every 3k miles I don't think it makes any difference as to what filter you use. I've got over 130,000 miles on my 95 Pathfinder and it still runs as new.

After opening up a fram filter and seeing how cheap there made I stay away from Fram (and Penzoil filter too). The top and bottom sections of the filter element are made of cardboard as opposed to metal like other filters.

Its a bit expensive but I like the K&N oil filters.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not too attatched to any one filter brand. I dod throw down for a Mobil 1 synthetic filter and it seemed to run smooth. Can't say as that I really notice a difference. What I do notice is how much of a difference switching to Castrol Syntec has made a world of difference.