1995 Pathy sputtering

Lunartic

330000 kms on the ole girl and I do all the regular maintenance. The past while it has been stalling at stop signs. The engine is warm normal temp, and this stalling does not always occur. So I just clik it into neutral and rev it a bit and it clears itself. Then clik it into drive and im on my way till the next stall or not. There is no service engine light coming on even though the bulb is good and checks out on startup. Any ideas guys???

No real idea what the problem is exactly, but I do recall my old '86 Toyota Pickup doing that exact same thing... Just revving it when stopped helped it from happening.

Does it normally occur mainly in the mornings when its colder? I'm not really sure where you live if its colder up there, but I know my truck only ever did it on cold mornings.

No real idea what the problem is exactly, but I do recall my old '86 Toyota Pickup doing that exact same thing... Just revving it when stopped helped it from happening.

Does it normally occur mainly in the mornings when its colder? I'm not really sure where you live if its colder up there, but I know my truck only ever did it on cold mornings.

i've had some fords to that to me.. that's why i askedabout the filter.. most of the time i found that to be the culprit... it could also be the pump going.. he didn't mention any stubles at full speed though.

Hi there guys and thanks. The gas filter is only about 3000 k old and the mornings are warm in Ontario right now, but this studder thing is only happeneing sometimes cold mornings or not. If the pump was on the way out do you think that this would be going on intermittenly for the past few months? I've still got to try the injectors as well. I also feel a sputter SOMETIMES around 80 kms. on the hwy, but not all the time...

Edited by Lunartic

First off, the air and fuel requirements at idle are very, very low, so if something is even just a little amiss, you get these problems. The root cause may exist at all rpm, but it only causes problems at idle.

I'm going to assume you have been running name brand quality gasoline. If so, the problem is most likely in the air supply. If you've been running cheap gas, you'll also need to consider dirty injectors, fuel pumps, etc etc.

Based on my personal experiences the first things I would check:

- Clean the IAC valve. This is what controls how much air the engine gets at idle. A little carbon on the valve can cause it to stick and not operate as smoothly as desired.

- Check very carefully for vacuum leaks. If there is a leak anywhere after the MAF sensor, the engine will get more air than the computer thinks it is, so it gets quite confused. After 10 years, it would be well worth your time to just replace ALL vacuum hoses - especially if you park in a garage with a refrigerator or freezer.

Just went through this on my wife's '95 BMW. The root cause there was cracks in the rubber boot between the MAF and throttle body. The boot is convoluted to allow flexing, and there were cracks in the convolutions. Smeared some silicon and let it cure, and now it runs perfect again. A new boot is on order.

Edited by mws

quick check... when it's running rough, pop the hood and wiggle the connector and wires on top of your MAF. Mine had a bad connection and ran like crap, stalled at stop lights etc. Fixed teh connector and all was good.

Thanks alot guys. I took the IAC apart with some difficulty and time as it was a BITCH to get it out. It was stuck or just about. It was gummed up and didn't slide correctly. She's up and running now.

Thanks all.

Blair......

I just had the exact same problem on my way to work today. It stalled when I coasted through a corner after getting off the highway. The exhaust smelled really wierd (and bad). I pulled over, put her in park and tried to start it a couple times. It cranked over fine but would not idle unless I gave her some gas. I had to drive here with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas when I was slowing down for a set of lights/stop sign just so it wouldn't die again. After about 5 minutes of driving, the problem seemed to stop, but i'll have to test it again at lunch. I also have a 95 in southern ontario, and it's really humid today, which I thought might be causing it. I'll have to go out and check my hoses.

Edited by skrillaguerilla