My fix for the SES light........ No it Ain't!

SnowKat

Hi all,

Thanks for this valuable resource for newbies like me.

I had an intermittened SES light in the QX4 (New to us in December 05 with 100K Km) it was very frustrating. I know where all the "good" gas stations are in our area from the A/F meter in my very tempermental Celica GT4... ahhhh Japanese ECU's...... Anyway to make a long story pointless.... I was thinking the truck had a blown O2 sensor (apparently common, as read here). From previous experiments in passing Etests/SMOG tests w/o cats I thought I'd start with the plugs and get as good a burn as possible. I pulled the OE platinums and have never seen so much wear in my life (they were rounded???) and replaced them with Iridium IX's. It took two weeks to settle and now the big '4 can run on any grade gas without the SES light comming on.

Anyway thats my 2c's .... I appologise if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Markus

Edited by SnowKat

Welcome to the forum.

And thanks for the info. Isn’t 100,000 miles about the right replacement time for plugs? It is 160,000 km in Canada, which is close to 100,000 miles.

EDIT: Ops, actually read where you are from. So that is 100,000 km you have on the Q? If so, just ignore my ramblings above but still Welcome :beer: (need beer, need beer)

Edited by Trainman

I pulled the OE platinums and have never seen so much wear in my life (they were rounded???) and replaced them with Iridium IX's. It took two weeks to settle and now the big '4 can run on any grade gas without the SES light comming on.

Anyway thats my 2c's .... I appologise if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Markus

Hmmm...that's bizzare. I pulled the original plugs on my Pathfinder with 100k miles and they looked great, but still replaced them.

Good job by buying the correct plugs, a lot of people screw that part up. B)

Thanks all for the welcome.....

Trainman I am a firm believer that beer is always a good solution to any problem but to your credit I did add my sig. after I posted... cheers

"Das Book" does state that the plugs should be replaced at 105,000KM so it was about time. I have never seen so much wear on plugs in my life. I have experimented with many different types and styles of plugs on my 4cyl turbo engine in the celica and have never seen rounded platinums. It must be because the Q was a city truck for 93,000km of its life. And, I thought that bombing down gravel roads was hard on vehicals.

Also thanks OR99.5Speed, with these two vehicals I do make the local parts stores work for their money -study-

Markus

• 3 weeks later...

Allright in a effort to make me look like a chump..... the 'Q now has decided that its going to have the SES light on permenantly.... arrrrgggggg!!!!

Even after running a couple of tanks of the good stuff the light didn't go out. I'm gonna have to see what the code is...I'm assuming that it will be one of the O2 sensors.

D'oh and I thought I was a genious... Oh well back sector 7G where I belong.

Markus

From my recent situation, I'd say it's your AC jack :D (that's what cause mine to come on, from my fuzz-buster)

Seriously though, prob. an o2 sensor.

Edited by navygz19

And, the weiner is ....... Bank 1 Catylitic...... and the service guy said as far as cat's go these are cheap! Well Thhhhaaaannnkkk Yooouuuuu!

I went to the stealership here as a test to see how they were at handling semi-knowlagible customers..... That was a hour 1/2 wait and $100 mistake.

I went there to get the error code for the ses and estimate on the shift flair tranny TSB fix....

After 45min I was getting fed-up and wondering where my truck was and asked why it takes soooo long to plug it into the OBD2 reader. After the service advisor vanishes(never saw him again) the parts lady comes in from the back and says the mechanic should be back soon with the test drive...... WTF where is he going???? and WHY??? All I wanted was the SES error code and an estimate on a TSB(One of those things Nissan has fixed many, many times so finding info on how to repair it should be easy!!!!). AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG!

Anyway, finally the bill comes and they say that there is a problem........ that'll be $106.50.......... (more blank starring)........ sooooo what is it?........ Oh I'll have to go check.......(Smack self in forehead.....)....... You need a new TCM and a new cat......(more blank starring)........ Aaaannnnnnddddd the estimate I came in here a lifetime ago??????? ........ finally!!!! (Go accross the road to Canadian tire and get a Hains manual angry about having to pay a hundred bux for re-learning a lesson!!!!)

In the imortal words of Bender......

Being thus'ly boned, ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for Thee!

Markus