Crank Pulley

zonianbrat

:unsure: Ok I am changing the t-belt, water pump, thermostat, coolant recover hose and maybe the cam and crank seals if they are leaking, I have gotten a ton of info from this forum on exactly what to do, but during my search i read that people have a lot of trouble getting the crank pulley off. i will be getting a harmonic balancer pulley for that, but people have also said they have trouble tightening it back up if they do not have a compressor and air-gun. I dont have either of these things and i do not know how i am going to be able to tighten the bolts on it without turning the engine from TDC. Could somebody with experience with this problem maybe shed some light for me. Any other tips on the work i am going to be doing would be helpful too thanks everyone. :bow:

Why are you worried about moving from TDC? The T-belt should be set right by the time you put the pulley back on so nothing will get missaligned if it does move.

One way that works well, it you have the strength, pull the coil wire and have someone "bump" the starter while you hold a wrench on the bolt.

To get the pulley off, I usually just take 2 prybars and get them behind the pully at about 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions then lightly pry them back and fourth and the pully will usually walk right off. I do leave the crank bolt on about 1 or 2 treads just to catch the pully just in case so I dont drop it. Putting it back on after the belt will not mess up your timing. I usually put the pulley back on with a impact gun(clean and apply wd40 or anti-sieze to treads and crank snout). You can tighten it to torque by stopping the flywheel by pulling the starter, put thats a PITA! If you have a strap wrench to wrap around the pulley, the tighten with a torque wrench. Good Luck! :)

I would REALLY be careful when prying hard against the cast aluminum oil pump, unless you want to shell out $90 for a new one. ;) I used a three-jaw gear puller to get mine off, but a real balancer puller works better. Finally got one a while ago right after I needed it, heh.

As for the question at hand, use a v-belt pulley wrench to hold the balancer while you tighten the crank bolt. I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools a while back, but they may have discontinued it...

:clap: thanks as far as pulling the pulley off i will be getting a harmonic balancer puller just to be safe, and as far as getting it backon and tight i will try to find that v-belt wrench thingy.very cool. i am about to order my parts so i can do the job on friday of next week, i will definitely lit everybody know what happens and what really became a pita as with my luck something always does. :wacko: