3.3L throttle body

Anybody here thought about this or done it already? I am interested in doing this.

The saga continues....

the JWT S1 cams made the truck very peppy..about 2500rpms to 3500rpms it zooms through the rev band...this is before changing the timing on the truck. It was gone from my hands for a long time (thus my absence) trying to locate the click click click noise that I have...it is too loud and obnoxious to be anything good. I have serious concerns about the trucks current health.

The mech. that did the work is a 15yr cert Honda tech that loves old-skool roadsters (and V8's). He is very knowledgeable, but I still feel shafted. My truck has a loud knock or clicking sound that is kept up by the engine. What is it? I have no clue and that is the worst part. Ideas:

...new lifters/cams not yet worn in (Mech)

...valve springs too loose inside heads (friends thoughts)

...Cracked manifold (s) (Great tech at Autozone--who knew 0 about the TSB)

What I do know...

...truck is getting better fuel economy with better zip (and 32's),

...truck is making noise like a super-quiet diesel....

...CEL says random missfire (this may be need of new plugs/wire/cap/rotor and bump in timing),

...lastly several people have drove the truck and think that the truck is super peppy now and can't believe it is the same motor.

...as if that weren't enough It now leaks oil like a sift. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so why not look to bore out the TB to get more ponies out of it??

Sorry

So

Long

ALL RESPONSE = MUCH THANKS

Edited by 98silverpathy

I had a problem similar to that on my other car with aftermarket cams. For some reason the cams screwed up a couple lifters and smashed them in. Couldn't figure out why. But since the valves weren't opening like they should it misfired like crazy. Some of your misfire you can wipe out with a safc btw. You'll be amazed what a little fuel tuning will do.

Can I send anyone a sound clip to their email of my truck? I am desparate for help before visiting the locals to tear my truck up and my wallet!!

Thanks again to all that respond in my time of need!!

:o :o :o

This truck is trying to die...I swear it!

I have changed the plugs/wires/cap/rotor and played havock with myself about the timing.....

the truck still reports that there is a random missfire, does anyone else have any suggestions before I leave her at the stealership??

I am under the impression that there are only a few causes for this:

Plug/wires/etc

EGR

Vacuum Leak

--I lean towards the vac leak since the intake manny was off but I am seriously hurting for any type of info.

In addition to that, the oil leak from long ago is now really bad...it is not the oil pan gasket but it cometh from just above the alternator mount points (from what I can see).

The truck is currently running in limp mode or something and refuses to break 45 mph, yes it still does have that extra loud lifter noise under 1K rpms...I feel as though I am losing this battle if I have ever asked now is the reall real time ...

H E L P

In addition to that, the oil leak from long ago is now really bad...it is not the oil pan gasket but it cometh from just above the alternator mount points (from what I can see).

Sorry I can't help with the other problems, but this sounds like you just need a new right valve cover gasket.

There is one other very big reason for a random misfire...UNTUNED CAMS.

I may be a noob on this forum, but I've been around this crap a long time. I'll give you two reasons to do it. #1, you will make more hp

#2 your idle will be improved and the misfire will stop. Now let me tell you why. The factory pcm was never meant to deal with the fluctuations that aftermarket cams cause. It's meant to be a shotgun approach to running an oem spec engine with an allotted amount of variance. So in a nutshell, the pcm sits there and tries to compensate with fuel for all of the weird fluctuations it's seeing. This fuel garbage causes misfires. PCM is just dumb as hell when it comes to this stuff. Your idle will suck until you get a safc or e-manage and tune it out. You will also pick up a lot more power and remove the dead spots in your power band. I picked up 15hp just tuning cams on a 4cyl.

Now, if you want to go the cheap way to fix this...you can gap your plugs smaller and put a 103 capacitor on the ground wire from the MAF. That will only fix your idle though. You'll never get the most out of your mods until you tune it. (on a dyno) That way we get to look at the results too :)

Oh ya, on the lifter noise.... I haven't checked to see what style lifters my pathfinder has, but it's very possible your mechanic didn't adjust them right and part of your misfire is from a few slightly bent valves. I've had problems with hydraulic lifters getting pissed off with aftermarket cams. I'd pop off the valve cover and see if any look collapsed.

Edited by turbopath

XPLORx4 I love you for respnding brother, but those are new also---with the grommets for the screw type bolt!!

Any chance it could have been installed incorrectly?

***Update***

~~~The oil leak, that is very intense, is from the cam and crank seals that I just had replaced. They have leaked over the entire timing belt and now the seals and the belt need replaced again.

~~~The knock sensor in the truck is bad, alowing the engine to respond slowly or not at all to knocks in idle characteristics of the truck.

~~~The knock sensor would also cure the intake manifold leak that I think I have, sense you have to remove these manifold s to egt to the knock sensor.

As usual guys, any input is appreciated as we can al learn from a mistake that I am paying for!! ;)

Yeah, if this guy didn't get the valve cover gaskets right......You might want to start thinking about if he installed something else wrong. Did he pull the heads? If so maybe the head gasket is leaking? He must have removed at least the upper intake manifold--vacuum leak?

Could a vg33 run if one of the cams was off by a tooth on the timing belt?

My guess if it were something mechanical due to the cam installation, would be a vacuum leak. Get the engine idling and spray carb cleaner around any gaskets the were removed on the intake.

B) You guys are always on top...

I am getting the truck back today from Nissan with all the codes they could pull. The service has been all A++. Unfort., the guy looking at the truck really wanted to solve all problems himself, but will have to wait.

I am going to spray the carb cleaner around the gaskets and see what happens. Tomorrow, the truck is going back to the first mech, who is reticent about his performance, and getting a new belt, cam seals ( and crank seal this time), and I will have him put my knock sensor in also, thus giving him the chance to swap gaskets again on the intake manny.

I actually feel confident that he will do all of this right as per our conversation he is quite sorry for the slip up, of course he is looking forward to doing the knock sensor and getting paid for it. I must say that his labor for the 100K maint (belt, ten., hoses, drive belts) plus cams, head gaskets, valve covers, intake manny gaskets was less than $700. He is a quality mech, I know of several cars with over 200K that have only been serviced by him. I guess the Pathy was destined.