the good, the bad, and the ugly

Spolar93

so i went out today for a simple mud run, and i was nailing the bog and making it my bitch with these awesome swamper tsl's. well i get ambious and try to climb this soft dirt hill, but dont get up it after a few tries in 4lo, so i back off and i start to leave, however my tires keep pulling in weird directions and i'm gettin horrible bumpsteer. so i pull over into a parking lot, dreading to look at my tre's. sure enough, the passenger side one is bent nice and good. luckily my cv's and ubs didnt blow, and its just a simple $20 fix.

however, i got my trans cooler installed and plumbed before, so today wasnt a big bust. its a huge hayden 26,000lb GVW, made for rvs and fifth wheel pullers. and i got to use my new rear bumper to pull out a buddy's heep.

bent tre:

IMG_4484.jpg

heep recovery system:

IMG_4485.jpg

toe in:

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4483.jpg

monster trans cooler:

IMG_4480.jpg

Edited by Spolar93

Hey, sorry to hear about your TRE's...but the rear bumper looks sweet as hell, and those are some great tires! The Pathy is lookin' nice. Do you get any trouble from Johnny Law for having that stainless/reflective strip in place of the black Nissan strip on your tailgate? It seems like it would reflect headlights right back at the driver behind you (or was that your intention? ;) )

not at all. i'm actually gonna take that off in the next few days and replace it with a painted aluminum diamond plate one i cut to fit and match the bumpers. stainless steel trim + 3 layers of dynamat extreme on that liftgate is not great. way to much weight, even with brand new struts.

i'm sure i'll get tagged with tire coverage or bumper height before something silly like that

so i went out today for a simple mud run, and i was nailing the bog and making it my bitch with these awesome swamper tsl's. well i get ambious and try to climb this soft dirt hill, but dont get up it after a few tries in 4lo, so i back off and i start to leave, however my tires keep pulling in weird directions and i'm gettin horrible bumpsteer. so i pull over into a parking lot, dreading to look at my tre's. sure enough, the passenger side one is bent nice and good. luckily my cv's and ubs didnt blow, and its just a simple $20 fix.

however, i got my trans cooler installed and plumbed before, so today wasnt a big bust. its a huge hayden 26,000lb GVW, made for rvs and fifth wheel pullers. and i got to use my new rear bumper to pull out a buddy's heep.

bent tre:...

heep recovery system:...

toe in:...

monster trans cooler:...

There's ways to prevent bending those TRE's forever......

L&P Performance Click "Steering"

Edited by Pathfinder Phil

theres also another way that i like better......sas. gonna be happening soon, thats why i dont mind just replacing the tre's. $60 worth of tie rod assemblies is alot cheaper and less down time than $400 worth of steering

That's cool....it'll look good. I'm glad I live in a state that doesn't have those pesky tire coverage laws (Virginia)...I'm about 2" past the fenders on mine...but it's all good.

Yeah, but VA has pesky inspections.

A quick fix is to loosen the adjuster nuts and re-adjust the toe by eyeball until it rides relatively straight again. That's not a GOOD fix, but it'll get you home without tearing up your tires and messing up your steering excessively.

You can also remove the bent tie rods on the side of the trail and beat it straight again with a rock or hammer. Heh. Had to do that once.

yep, we measured front and back of the tires, and only were off by a 1/4", so that should hold me over until i get a real alignment on tuesday. the whole process was real easy, we got the new tre and idler arm bushings in in about 30 minutes, no problems at all.

sorry i cou;dnt chat with you longer aaron, you caught me right in the middle of repair. but yes, if you could pick up probably 3 assemblies for me (production date 10/92), id greatlt appreciate it. dont need them in a rush, just next time youre at the junker let me know.

There's ways to prevent bending those TRE's forever......

L&P Performance Click "Steering"

How does the L&P Steering Upgrade prevent bending TRE's? I have an L&P idler arm brace and a L&P Center Link coming in the mail.

But I don't understand how an Idler Arm Brace, Center Link or double-sheer pitman or idler arm could prevent bent TRE's?

88, have you bent any since you installed the L&P kit?

you know.. from what i've read since I installed my huge tranny cooler, you actually CAN have too big of a cooler. The tranny oil runs best at a certain temp, and I for one noticed my tranny shifted much rougher and generally less smooth under all circumstances than before I put the big cooler on. Someone said something somewhere about possible damage to the tranny over the longrun if the oil isn't able to warm up to the appropriate temp. whether they may have been just BS'ing, or actually have a valid point, I'll never know.

you know.. from what i've read since I installed my huge tranny cooler, you actually CAN have too big of a cooler. The tranny oil runs best at a certain temp, and I for one noticed my tranny shifted much rougher and generally less smooth under all circumstances than before I put the big cooler on. Someone said something somewhere about possible damage to the tranny over the longrun if the oil isn't able to warm up to the appropriate temp. whether they may have been just BS'ing, or actually have a valid point, I'll never know.

That's why a lot of us run the tranny fluid through the stock radiator cooler (IF it is in good condition!) after the auxiliary cooler.

Double bene's:

1) If the tranny fluid is cooler than the engine coolant, it helps the radiator out.

2) If the tranny fluid is too cool, the engine coolant brings it back up.

the new steering from L&P stops the CL from twisting and bending backwards, when it does it kills a TR, when it doesnt the TR's are happy and so are we

makes sense. I bought it to prevent another bent CL, but sounds like it'll prevent more than that....good stuff. :D