Need belt ID and how to replace

martin_nv

I arrive at work this morning and hear a strange noise from the engine of my 1992 Pathfinder. I pop the hood and find that one of the belts has broken. My shop manual is at home so I'm wondering if someone can tell me what belt this is, and if it is easy to install or not. The belt is right behind the fan and loops around 3 wheels to drive a device at top-right when looking at the engine (sorry i'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what this thing is, cooling fluid pump maybe??). It looks like I have to remove another belt that drives a device at the bottom-left in order to replace this broken belt. Here is a photo of the missing belt:

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks.

engine.jpg

That's your AC belt. Just go to any parts store, or stealership and ask for it for your year Pathy.....shouldn't cost much more than $10

And yes, you'll have to remove the Power Steering belt to replace that AC belt. All in all it should only take about half an hour. I'd check the condition of your other belts while I was there, and think about replacing all 3 at the same time.

Edited by Simon

Thanks for the fast response Simon! So if it is AC then it is safe to drive the car without this missing belt?

Edited by martin_nv

Thanks for the fast response Simon! So if it is AC then it is safe to drive the car without this missing belt?

Absolutely......but if that one broke, I'd check the others, as they're more important. Either no power steering or no alternater/cooling fan......

Absolutely......but if that one broke, I'd check the others, as they're more important. Either no power steering or no alternater/cooling fan......

trust me on that....its not good...if you loose that alternator belt lol

Did it squeal before it broke? If so (even if it did not) check the pulleys to make sure they are not seized... the AC pulley On the right of picture) should spin freely when the AC is off and the idler pulley (on the lft - in front of the distributor) should spin freely any time the belt is not on it. If they do not then you found the reason the belt broke

Otherwise it was probably just old and in need of replacement :aok:

Yup both those other pulleys without the belt turn freely now, and I do remember a squeaking noise that has been there for months now, so it was probably the belt.

Yeah, might as well swap them all now, rather than freak out when the next time bomb goes off under the hood :laugh: