Another question on Struts -- '98 Pathfinder

ORE

I read a couple of the other topics on struts/shocks, but they didn't really answer what I needed. Maybe y'all can help me out. I've got a 98' SE with no mods and 71,000 miles. The only thing that's different than when I got it is that I put 31" BFG's on it. Anyhow, I was told by the shop (and I can feel it on the road) that the struts are done. Below are my questions. Keep in mind I'm not hardcore into offroad with the Pathfinder, as it's the family vehicle. Sometime take it hunting, on the beach, or in a bit of snow, but that's about it.

1. Since I don't know any better, what should I expect needs replacing when I take it to the shop (struts, mounts, etc.)?

2. Do the coil springs need to be replaced when struts are?

2. I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder has struts in front and shocks in the back, right? Should the shocks get replaced at the same time?

3. How do the struts/shocks affect ride height? I certainly wouldn't mind getting a little lift (not enough to cause other problems) as long as it doesn't cost me a bunch of extra $$.

4. What brands of replacements would be good?

5. How much should I reasonably expect labor will cost?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

1.  Since I don't know any better, what should I expect needs .  How do the struts/shocks affect ride height?  I certainly wouldn't mind getting a little lift (not enough to causreplacing when I take it to the shop (struts, mounts, etc.)?

When you get it done, depending on where you take it, expect them to recommend a bunch of stuff....if it's a mom n pop type place, they'll probably suggest you do the timing belt. It's not due until 105,000. Labor rates and charges will vary. A Nissan dealership will charge about 2-3 hours of labor for it, and you shouldn't expect anywhere else to charge any more.

2.  Do the coil springs need to be replaced when struts are?

No.

3.  I'm pretty sure the Pathfinder has struts in front and shocks in the back, right?  Should the shocks get replaced at the same time?

3e other problems) as long as it doesn't cost me a bunch of extra $$.

Yes.

4.  What brands of replacements would be good?

Go with the KYB GR-2 for struts. Bilsten 5100 or Rancho RS5000 would be good for shocks. They'll last longer than the OEM and give a better ride. Also, the factory Nissan stuff is way expensive. $208 each per strut from the Dealer.

5.  How much should I reasonably expect labor will cost?

Again, that depends on where you're located, and where you take it. Expect a dealership to charge around $100/hr, private shops will charge probably $80. The job should be quoted for no more than 3 hours if you're doing just struts, and the shocks should'nt take more than an hour. In fact, the shocks are easy enough to do yourself, that you could save a little on labor doing that yourself.

Replacing struts typically means replacing strut mounts, too. Shocks and struts

replacement won't effect ride height, but will improve ride quality.

My local garage also replaced the bump-stops inside the coils, too.

If you have $310 laying around, and want a little more ride height (2" max.)

get the Old Man Emu (OME) coil springs. I'm getting them put in soon. There are

lots of posts about them here.

And DEFINITELY order all the parts if your mechanic will let you. I ordered the

struts cheap ($60 each, free shipping). I don't know why I didn't order the strut mounts, the shop did that and got the wrong ones, so now I have to wait another

10 days for them to get it right... ugh.

Good answers already, but I wanted to add that although you don't have to get the springs replaced with the struts/shocks, you can do them together and save on labor since it doesn't cost any extra time. So the only extra you'll be paying is the price of the springs and no additional labor.

OME springs from Rocky Road are probably the springs you want for the extra lift without the added problems of possible CV wear and struts topping out.

Thank y'all. This is some good information. I looked at the Old Man Emu coil springs. Sounds pretty good. If I were to get them, would I have to get a different size strut and shock to fit (to account for the extra 2"), or -- when ordering KYB's, Ranchos, or whatever brand -- would the standard size for a '98 still work?

Thank y'all. This is some good information. I looked at the Old Man Emu coil springs. Sounds pretty good. If I were to get them, would I have to get a different size strut and shock to fit (to account for the extra 2"), or -- when ordering KYB's, Ranchos, or whatever brand -- would the standard size for a '98 still work?

I would get OEM Nissan strut mounts, OME suspension with the rear OME shocks, KYB struts off of www.tirerack.com

Do a search...I started a huge thread about the same topic and got great advice.

Do a search...I started a huge thread about the same topic and got great advice.

Dude...If you started a thread why not post a link for him instead of just saying "search" :aok:

Dude...If you started a thread why not post a link for him instead of just saying "search" :aok:

Agreed. The search engine on most forums leaves a lot to be desired, but especially this one. I can never find anything I'm looking for and I know how to use it. :o

Ehh, good call, but two reasons:

1. I needed to get started on my group project in Microsoft Access for my summer classes.

2. I have posted the link several times. I normally post it and I will now...I shall edit this post with the link.

Edit:

The thread that should be stickied or merged with the other one...*cough*

Edited by OR99.5Speed

Your a good man, Charlie Brown :aok:

BTW...piggy-backing on that thread, did you ever get any nof the stuff you said you were going to? Warn Hubs? Shocks/Struts?

Post pics!

did you ever get any nof the stuff you said you were going to? Warn Hubs? Shocks/Struts?

Post pics!

No, actually I didn't. It was going to be a Christmas gift; I had it all ordered and then Mom (who was buying the stuff) got paranoid because my MAF went out and pretty much starved my engine for oil. We thought the engine was going to go, and if it did Dad wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it with a bad engine or what. So I got a nice new Canon SD500 Digital ELPH camera instead.

As it turns out, the VG33 is pretty strong. The engine burns oil when revved high when cold, i.e. rev it to redline on a cold start and you will get smoke and I think it consumes a few quarts between changes but nothing urgent. A replacement motor is in the future. When I started it up this morning I could hear the lifters, not a good sign, so I'll check the oil.

But, my suspension is blown and my tires are almost worn out, so I'll ask Dad what he wants to do with it since it's his money. I'm a lucky son and I only pay for gas. Hell, he bought the damn thing! B)

Why are you revving the engine to redline on a cold startup? Surefire way to blow your motor. Let that sucker warm up!

Not even close to redline, but I had a loose belt that squealed so loud the whole town could hear it. So to stop the squealing I had to stomp the gas so the belt would catch. Don't worry, I got it fixed! :D

When the motor is cold I don't go above 3k...I know better