Best way...

Pathfinder-jay

Hey guys I got my roof lights but they didnt come with instructions. Just thinking now that I got all my dash out etc what would be the best way of wiring. I have researched it and so far the best way i see is to connect it with the accesories so the lights cant stay on if the keys arent in but out of all your expericences whats the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Jay

Accessories would work, but I've found its better to relay them off the parking light or headlight circuit like the stock fog lights. That way, they're only on when your other lights are, so you don't accidentally drive around town on a 90 degree sunny summer day with your with your lights on like a dork.

eh? :contract:

48563.jpg

LOL!! :laugh::lol:

Oh man that is SO good!

Seriously though jay, there was a post about this about a month or two ago. Do an advanced search for lighting wiring, or light bar as the question was asked about how to wire a stock two door light bar. :aok:

Using the relay diagram I ran main power from battery thru floor on passenger side. Drilled hole for access to cab. Painted hole with primer and sealed with Marine goop. Placed relay in center console w/ e-brake. placed switch on center console on driver side of e-brake. (keeps pesty passengers from pressing your buttons) Continued main wiring up driver side behind door. Being a 2dr the 4x4 emblem pops out and you can get wire out of cab thru this access. Ground from lights followed same route as main power. Grounded at mounting bolt for driver seat. Power for the switch to relay was ran under driver side carpet to fuse box. I simply wedged the end of wire in with the fuse for the wipers. (probably not professional but very effective) Lights will only function when ignition is on. However there is nothing to keep me from looking like a dork. I do that quite naturally.

don't accidentally drive around town on a 90 degree sunny summer day with your with your lights on like a dork.
:aok:

roof lights

Removing the front seat will save a lot time.

Edited by dagwoodzz

don't accidentally drive around town on a 90 degree sunny summer day with your with your lights on like a dork.

How'd I do that? :crazy: Company policy prohibits the unauthorized use of the internet. I usually don't preview post at work afraid if I spend too much time I will get busted.

Anyway this is Jay's post, lets talk about roof lights. Lightem' if you gotem' :aok:

Hey Jay,

If you'd like to know a bit more about automotive relays and how to build different types of circuits with them, then check out the12volt.com. Its mostly for car audio and alarms, but there's some good basic info there that applies to a lot of automotive circuits.

I hooked mine up using a constant hot rather than a switched one and used an illuminated toggle switch in the dash. That way I don't need to fumble for the keys if I'm parked somewhere at night and happen to see Bigfoot or something coming out of the woods.

But how did you bring the wires down from the roof? is i the hole on the roof on the passenger side. Im just wondering whats the best way since I know some of you wired it they way you did because you had seats/carpet/dash etc in the way but mines completely bare. So im guessing...

-Wire all the lights and pass em into 1 conduit by making a small hole in the roof.

-Bring it down along the passenger side door frame.

-It will then join the main conduit on the floor....

-Go up behind where my dash is....

Then here I somewhat get lost on where to bring it.. Ive dont alot of electricity in school but for a car im just not sure where to put the power from and Ive heard to many stories how bad wiring in a car really causes trouble.

-I also want to make where my astray the light switch control panel... not sure theres room anywhere else? Any of you place your switches somewhere else cause thats the only place I can think of.

I also want to wire it in a way so that when I hit 1 switch it opens the 2 exterior lights...

and when i hit a nother switch it opens the 2 interior ones....

Alright if my truck catches on fire i will come back to ya on that one 88 lol. My theory on this stuff is why use my methods if someone has one thats proven to be best? I mean why would I want to wire it all then be like oh shat I have to go back and remove my dash and redo it all over again. I dont get why you cant just leave advice... kind of makes the forums useless if everytime someone asks a question its like " USE THE SEARCH", USE UR IMAGINATION....

I also want to wire it in a way so that when I hit 1 switch it opens the 2 exterior lights...

I'm doing this same set-up now. All you have to do is figure out how you're going to route and set up your wiring, then do it twice side by side. Put the two lights in the middle on one switch and circuit, and the other two on another switch. I find it convenient to separate and tape off each set independently so you don't get confused.

About the hole in the roof, I think that's what its going to take. I believe 88 and some others have just drilled through, then sealed it up with a bunch of silicone. I don't think there's really an existing way to go, so you have to make one.

Finally, I'd recommend picking up a voltmeter/tester, just to be on the safe side while wiring. Follow the basic diagram provided by Vsicks, take your time, and test your work along the way. If money is an issue, you can pick up a cheap made in China meter for a few bucks at Harbor Freight, or even a simple test light probe for like $2.99. Oh, and fuses are your friends. Use them.

hehe I have a fluke meter... cost about 300$ those damn things. Im in refrigeration so as for electrical I know alot about it... im just double checking all my work before I go ahead and do it. Cars/refrigeration electrically is alot different but very similar... I just dont know the best way to route my wires and I know on these forums alot of ways have been tested

Thanks

Jay

I dont get why you cant just leave advice... kind of makes the forums useless if everytime someone asks a question its like " USE THE SEARCH", USE UR IMAGINATION....

Sheesh man, relax !! Theres nothing wrong with asking questions and there is nothing wrong with people recommending searching... It's a useful tool and why should an entire thread be retyped when it can just be referenced ? Besides, you often run across interesting related information that gives you ideas for a different project. Customizing your truck has much to do with your need, desire AND imagination. Seems to me that people have been quite helpful, do they need to come over and wire it up for you too ? :D

That, by the way, was a sarcastic jibe meant as humor, so no need to get upset...

:beer:

B

But how did you bring the wires down from the roof? is i the hole on the roof on the passenger side. Im just wondering whats the best way since I know some of you wired it they way you did because you had seats/carpet/dash etc in the way but mines completely bare. So im guessing...

-Wire all the lights and pass em into 1 conduit by making a small hole in the roof.

-Bring it down along the passenger side door frame.

-It will then join the main conduit on the floor....

-Go up behind where my dash is....

Then here I somewhat get lost on where to bring it.. Ive dont alot of electricity in school but for a car im just not sure where to put the power from and Ive heard to many stories how bad wiring in a car really causes trouble.

-I also want to make where my astray the light switch control panel... not sure theres room anywhere else? Any of you place your switches somewhere else cause thats the only place I can think of.

switches: ashtray or below the stock radio. mine are in my centre consol and by my knees. there are indents there for fogs on wd21 models and i picked up some stock switches at j/y

wires. i have my lights wired directly to the battery. pep boys and others carry these little brass tabs that hook on the positive terminal clamp's tightening bolt. these tabs also have spade male ends sticking from it. i think there are four. then i have a fuse in line and a relay. two separate virwuits and switches for the two different sets of lights.

drill or not to drill, that is the question. your choice fo sho. i have seen it done both ways. if you have a roof rack you can make it invisable. i have also seen wires running to the door or the back hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE: "My theory on this stuff is why use my methods if someone has one thats proven to be best? I mean why would I want to wire it all then be like oh shat I have to go back and remove my dash and redo it all over again. I dont get why you cant just leave advice... kind of makes the forums useless if everytime someone asks a question its like " USE THE SEARCH", USE UR IMAGINATION...."

Jay,

I think that 88 is just trying to say.......along with everyone elses critisism of your RELENTLESS posting; 99.9 percent of the joy associated with these home projects is that YOU decide the best way to do stuff, and when YOU do this.......YOU accept ownership and responsibility for the work YOU do.......are you getting my drift??????

QUOTE: "Alright if my truck catches on fire i will come back to ya on that one 88 lol"

and this qoute comes back to the "ownership and responsibility" thing