Newbie NEEDS HELP! Do I need new Hubs?

Bassnurfaz

I have a 1998 Pathfinder, and my local mechanic told me I need new inner and outer bearings. Apparently this uses a special press machine. Am I better off buying an entire new hub, or what's the best way to fix this problem? I used to have BFG Mudders on the truck, and I think they messed up the bearings. PLEASE HELP! I NEED IT BAD! Where can I find a Hub or an inexpensive solution?

By the way, here's a link to my pathfinder. http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/226000

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Your tires didn't do anything bad to your hubs. However, if you've never serviced them (i.e. repacked them), depending on how many miles are on your truck and if you've driven through deep mud/water frequently, the hubs could just be dead due to lack of maintenance.

You don't need any special machines to replace the wheel bearings. Depending on the condition of the bearing races, you should just be able to replace the bearings themselves. Contact local auto parts stores or your dealer for pricing on new bearings.

FYI- The entire hub runs about $200 per side, and includes new bearings and inner bearing grease seal.

The hub that you purchase actually includes parts #1, #2, and #3 in this diagram:

F609123.gif

#1- The hub

#2- The bearings

#3- The inner grease seal.

More info here

This link shows some photos of the hub replacement procedure, after the outer hub has been removed. I had to do this because the bolt holes for the outer hub were broken off inside the hub.

07oldhub_newhub.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

Thank you both very much for your help, and thank you XPLORx4 for the pictures! Where do you get diagrams like the one above? They are very helpful :bow: ! So would you recommend just buying new bearings and seal having them repacked, or replacing the HUB, bearings and seal? Will that get rid of the play and some of the noise in the front end, when I go over bumps?

Thanks again!

Where do you get diagrams like the one above?

Click the "More Info Here" link in my post above. It should point you to an online Nissan parts vendor. Some of the part descriptions include drawings like the one above.

Without knowing the condition of the bearing races, it's hard to know whether you need only the bearings or the hub as well.

I would get another mechanic's opinion about the problem... ask someone who doesn't think that you need special machinery to remove the hub.

The noise you speak of- is it a constant humming noise that comes from the front wheels while you drive, or is it a clunking that occurs only occasionally?

When my bearings went bad the races were bad as well, but they were fairly easy to remove from the hub. Just use a punch and slowly work them out, no press required to get the new ones in. The only special tool I used was the correct size locknut socket to seat the new bearings.

XPLORx4, again, thank you for ALL of your help! In regards to the noise, it only makes the noise when I go over bumps in the road, etc. It does not make any noise other wise. Also, there seems to be a lot of play in the front end. When I'm backing out of a parking spot and turn the steering wheel, it makes a single "clunck" noise that I can feel thru the steering wheel. It's not a continuous noise, only when I go over a bump at slow speeds, and turn the steering wheel at a stand still. PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want my wheel to fall off one day!!!

XPLORx4, again, thank you for ALL of your help!  In regards to the noise, it only makes the noise when I go over bumps in the road, etc.  It does not make any noise other wise.  Also, there seems to be a lot of play in the front end.  When I'm backing out of a parking spot and turn the steering wheel, it makes a single "clunck" noise that I can feel thru the steering wheel.  It's not a continuous noise, only when I go over a bump at slow speeds, and turn the steering wheel at a stand still.  PLEASE HELP!!!  I don't want my wheel to fall off one day!!!

Sounds more like a CV joint than hub issues there.

Edited by turbopath

Clunking is not related to wheel bearings. Clunking could be due to any of the following:

• Worn swaybar end-links

• Worn swaybar bushings (located where the swaybar passes through the frame)

• Worn ball joints

• Worn inner tie-rod socket (located inside the rubber boot on each side of the steering rack)

• Worn strut bearing

Based on your description, the most likely cause is worn strut bearings. Here's what a worn strut bearing looks like. It's supposed to be smooth and have a white grease on the surfaces, not be dried out and scored like in this photo:

strutbearinginside.jpg

Here's where the bearing installs:

05upperstrutparts_close.jpg08strut_bearing.jpg

If you've never replaced the struts (or the strut bearings) then this may be your problem. The good news is that worn strut bearings only make a lot of noise. They won't cause your suspension to fall off or anything.