Noob with doubts...

rmd0311

Time to glorify your Pathy's.

I'm sincerely having doubts about my purchase. I love the Pathy for all the reasons that I bought it. It's a comfortable car like ride, I can see everything which I love. I have a go anywhere mentality now and won't be limited to the pave and gravel roads. I feel secure when I drive it and many more critical things. Love taking this ATV trail the other day, nothing compared to pictures I have seen in this forum but FUN nonetheless.

BUT, coming from a 4cyl Accord MT with a 25city/31highway rating to this beast is really getting to me. I knew what I was getting into when I bought her but did not think it would phase me this much. I mean, damn it's $50 a week for this hungry baby, all surbuban driving in the NorthEast. Thinking of selling her and going back to the Accord. I mean, I can afford the bill but IT HURTS.

In the end, I doubt I would sell it becuase of how much I like the good qualities of it. But Damn that one bad quality with todays gas prices is making me think of taking a loss in this purchase.

I dont blame you for feeling kicked in the ass for gas prices... we have two gas guzzlers... so we picked up a 89 VW Jetta Diesel for the commute for at least one of us.

I just drove the VW for two weeks, and I have to say I SOOOO LOVE having the pathy back. My pathy rides 44234x's better than the Jetta... (Jetta needs some love though) and I love sitting higher in traffic, being able to see around all those little cars in my way.

For us, I think about how stupid it is we have two SUV's but they are our life, All summer long... we pack em up and go camping and wheeling pretty much every weekend.

*runs out and kisses pathy*

The gas issue is a bummer. Like Pezzy said, for some of us and our way of life, our Pathys or suvs are a direct part of that lifestyle, so the gas issue may tend to take a less critical eye.

its all about need my friend....like stated above get yourself a pos 4banger for your commute and leave the pathy for play that way you get the best of both worlds I had a saturn sl2 for my work vehicale but I was driving bout 140 miles a day for a couple of months so I saved a ton of cash of fuel... till it got wrecked...I gotta find another one after I go back to work

Time to glorify your Pathy's.

I'm sincerely having doubts about my purchase. I love the Pathy for all the reasons that I bought it. It's a comfortable car like ride, I can see everything which I love. I have a go anywhere mentality now and won't be limited to the pave and gravel roads. I feel secure when I drive it and many more critical things. Love taking this ATV trail the other day, nothing compared to pictures I have seen in this forum but FUN nonetheless.

BUT, coming from a 4cyl Accord MT with a 25city/31highway rating to this beast is really getting to me. I knew what I was getting into when I bought her but did not think it would phase me this much. I mean, damn it's $50 a week for this hungry baby, all surbuban driving in the NorthEast. Thinking of selling her and going back to the Accord. I mean, I can afford the bill but IT HURTS.

In the end, I doubt I would sell it becuase of how much I like the good qualities of it. But Damn that one bad quality with todays gas prices is making me think of taking a loss in this purchase.

What kind of milage are you getting, unless you are commuting over 300 miles a week, i have a hard time seeing 50 bucks a week. I get better than that in my expadition!

It does suck,but i would check out your milage.. we may be able to help on this

On 50 bucks, I can last 2 weeks, and thats with lift and 33's. There is either something wrong with your car or your commute is waaay long. If the latter, see if your job will pitch in, mine gave me an extra quarter an hour for gas.

It's commute and driving around town... I do alot of driving here and there on the weekends. I'm getting anywhere between 240-260 miles when the light comes on. Last tank all suburban driving gave me 14.6 mpg... The 14.6 I calculate by resetting the trip odometer when I fuel up and then see how many gallons it takes when I fill up again. Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons put in and that's it. When it's 50/50 I get something like 16mpg... BUT I have a heavy foot in highways and also live in a mountanous region so highways have alot of ups and downs.

Also, a second car is not an option (because of monetary reasons of course). I love the feel of the Pathy, and can't wait to go camping this summer on it... I was limited to where I could go in the past by my car, this year this should not be an issue. (i hope)

From your avatar, I would say you are in the NY area and I can believe $50 to fill up after ~250 miles. At $2.80/gal, having anything but a scooter sucks. I am just surprised that your '01 gets the same mileage as my '89 with 195k miles. You must really have a heavy foot.

lighten up on the tall skinny and you will be amazed. there are also lots of upgrades you can do to improve performance/gas mileage as well.

if you love your pathy as much as we love ours, then stick with her, and limit your use of the go pedal :beer:;)

they're great trucks and much fun can be had with them. wait til summer.. you'll kick yourself for even thinking of selling her B)

yeah the norm is about 16-18MPG, and if youre heavy on the gas, it will show... I know, it's hard to go the speed limit on the highway... sometimes I have to force myself to drive behind a rig just to pace myself & save some gas.

They might be most efficiant at 75, but I wouldent call it gas saving :P

Try keeping RPM's below 3000 at all times, seems when its above 3500 It drinks about a gallon a minute. I cruise highway at 55 at 2200rpm, not to bad.

I think we all feel your pain. I guess you'll have to decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth it. I just heard gas will be up 25 cents for the summer. I use mine to haul around ladders and tools during the week, and buddys and mountain gear most weekends so I can justify the cost of gas. I'm all over the place and usually have a long commute like you and I know it sucks. What about an old bike for a part time commuter to help? Late 70s early 80s are pretty cheap, but motorcycles aren't for everyone.

Like above, let up on the gas skinny pedal a bit. Is tune, tire pressure, etc., in good shape? Any aftermarket stuff like aggressive tires, roof rack, etc? Basically the usual mileage questions, and all that comes into play and can chip away. Making sure your truck is in top shape and easing off the go juice can help quite a bit, and if you find it hard, cruise control can be your friend on the highway.

Yeah price of gas is readily climbing... I fueled up at 3.06 on Monday.

Tire pressure I keep 32-33, and the truck is in great shape, purrrs like a kitten.

I sometimes try but its hard to stay under 80. Then my highways are very mountanous so I hit 4000-4500 rpm at times going up hill on the highway maintaining 80. Love that it can do it since the accord would wimper halfway up.

I'm a big guy too. 6'3" 270lbs. Maybe I should lose some weight.

Let's see. I think I will continue with her, till past the summer and see how I feel. Love that 240HP, love getting off the pavement, these should be enough for me to sit back and enjoy the ride and forget about the extra expense. I guess.

I feel your pain. Next year I may have a job where I either rent an apartment closer to it or commute 140 miles/day. With Iran, Nigeria, and all those other countries where people join crazed out militia groups just so they don't starve, I don't see gas prices coming down at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3+ (like WAY plus) in the coming years. So, I've been calculating $4/gallon to be safe and I THINK it'd still be cheaper to commute. My girlfriend has a Civic too...so maybe I'll make the payments for her and steal it for the 38mpg on the highway! :-D Anyway, I think the future is for high energy costs from what I see. But, I guess that just means less drinking, eating out (there's a joke there), and fun so I can afford gas for the Pathy. They are great cars though. About 16-20 for me during months where temps are above 45.

I sometimes try but its hard to stay under 80. Then my highways are very mountanous so I hit 4000-4500 rpm at times going up hill on the highway maintaining 80.

Ok, that sheds some light on your mileage concern. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Also, a second car is not an option (because of monetary reasons of course). I love the feel of the Pathy, and can't wait to go camping this summer on it... I was limited to where I could go in the past by my car, this year this should not be an issue. (i hope)

huh? you can pick a good mpg car for a grand or two at the most. it will pay for itself in no time with $3/gal prices and save the pathy for fun.

Actually engines are at their most efficient at 75% throttle.  So going super light on the throtle doesn't save you that much gas.  ;)

i get the best mpgs when i drive between 35mph and 50mph in 5th gear. i coast a lot in the city.. stop and go kills your mpgs big time. actually the last couple of tanks i got the best milage ever and it was almost all city driving. and i disagree on the throttle. when i go super light i get great mpgs.