Learned something new today

wheel366

Well, my truck is back in the shop so I can have the headers taken off and sent to Thorley. At the same time, I have them looking into an exhaust leak and a ne whigh-flow cat.

The shop owner looked underneath and found a small pre-cat. He called some company that is supposedly the top cat maker in the US and they have a high flow cat for the truck. When he mentioned that there was a pre-cat they said that they know nothing about it. After doing some research he realized that my truck was made to pass emmisions in cali. Once he told this to them they said "Ahh... Yes." The late 95's had the pre-cat to pass cali emmisions. The also told him that the headers are not making a difference since the precat is so restrictive that it has enormous backpressure. They also said that the new high flow cat is more efficient than the old cat and pre cat. So, the guy is looking into getting a federal??? pipe to replace the pre-cat and the new cat is on it's way. The cat is about $285. The engineer said that once the pre-cat is gone, the truck would be completely different with the amount of power it has. So, he is on the phone with nissan now to see if they can get tha pipe.

Unfortunately, I have to send the headers out and wait for them to come back before we can test.

So, the guy is looking into getting a federal???

"Federal" means that it complies with emissions regulations required for a new vehicle to be sold anywhere in the United States, except for California.

A "Federal Pipe" would simply be a straight through pipe that does not accommodate a "PreCat" it is what you would find on most Pathfinders out there (those not sold new in Cali)

pipe to replace the pre-cat and the new cat is on it's way.  The cat is about $285.

Call me crazy but I would shop around :shrug: I had a new muffler and " Hi Flow" Cat put on for less than that. :blink:

So, he is on the phone with nissan now to see if they can get tha pipe.

You might be able to find one in good shape at a wrecking yard... I have found entire exhaust systems there before, just takes some looking.

Unfortunately, I have to send the headers out and wait for them to come back before we can test.

It would appear that you have a little time to look ;)

Edited by RedPath88

Well, Nissan wanted $780 for the part. We ended up getting it from Bosal for like $70. It turns out that I am probably not sending my headers back. We had a few different people take a loot at them. Both rebuild Porsche engines and have their headers customized. They said that unless the coating is peeling off, then I should be ok. As a note: The also said that Thorley headers are cheap and not designed correctly. They flanges are too small and it should be made of stainless steel not mild steel.

One guy even got mad because of the quality. However, these guys are used to paying thousands for custom headers. We agreed that for $440 it wasn't a bad price but performance gains are only going to be slight.

So, I got it back today. Got the new federal pipe installed and the high flow cat.

Holy SH!T does it make a difference. I also got the coolant temp sensor and O2 sensor replaced. Truck sounds different, feels different. I don't get that feeling while pushing the RPM's up that the pedal is pushing back at me.

They told me that the CAT was clogged and since that one was clogged that the precat was most likely clogged but they couldn't look inside of it.

I just got word that my 4crawler rock sliderz will be here Monday. Now, I have to get that installed. I'm still waiting for my calmini steering kit and I'm gonna contact Jim Wolf and see if they will look at the cams to see if they can still be used.

95's that were meant to be sold in Cali had them. That's why it was so hard for me to find that 2nd cat anywhere. I was told I had one, but everybody I spoke to said "No you don't". I had a friend who drifts with his 240 drive my pathy today. He was very impressed with the power. He told me I should get it dyno'ed before I put the cams in so I have a baseline.

The sound is a nice rumble. Doesn't sound like a pathy at all, but doesn't sound ricer either. My friend who drives a Mustang GT said today "Wow. That is much louder." :cool2: And my boss, who drove me to get it yesterday said "You were two cars up and all I could here is your truck." :hide: