I dunno what this tube does or if I should fix it?

iLLlegal

ok so I was just inspecting my engine bay today and I noticed this

zoomsmall4be.th.jpg

and a closer shot

zoom5xg.th.jpg

now i dunno what that thing is. or what it does. it lookes like the previous owner put glue on it to hold it in there. should I just leave it?

that my dear boy is your charcoal cannister (land of exhaust recycling).. and you will/should have the most holacious vaccum leak if it is not repaired.... is your pathy running like crap or your rpm's going mental yet?

that is what hose was leaking on mine and it solved my rpm problem soon as i put a new clip on it ;)

mine broke in the same place with PO as it looks to be super glued on there

oooo charcoal cannister. i might have broken that when i hit a tree...like a yr ago :hide:

hmm vaccum leak. that sounds bad. i mean i havent noticed any rpm stuff. it doest feel like its running like crap.

how would i fix it? like it doest look like a cap. that thing looks like one big peice that i cant take apart. re glue it?

I've had remarkably good luck gluing plastic together with, of all things, JB Weld! Clean the parts thoroughly with electrical cleaner, and give it a try. Glob as much JB as you can, and if possible, shove some kind of reinforcetment into the epoxy as well.

If you're really trying to fix it and save a buck with glue, I wonder if you could go over the top of your repair with a couple small strips of fiberglas cloth and resin. You can pick up a small do-it-yourself patch kit pretty cheap at most any auto parts store, and that could provide the reinforcement to hold the glue/epoxy/JB Weld/bubble gum repair you choose to try.

I've had remarkably good luck gluing plastic together with, of all things, JB Weld! Clean the parts thoroughly with electrical cleaner, and give it a try. Glob as much JB as you can, and if possible, shove some kind of reinforcetment into the epoxy as well.

spoken like a true engineer...

so question about this canister if i dont have to pass emissions and could remove it...could i possibly increase gas milage without hendering the trucks operational ability

Thanks!

The charcoal canister won't noticeably affect fuel economy one way or the other (functioning or fully bypassed). Having it functional MIGHT increase mpg by .0001% or so, but that's about it.

All it does is absorb the evaporating gas vapors from the fuel tank when the truck sits. Without it, your truck will tend to smell like a gas station on hot days (as anybody who has owned an older car can attest to!). That's why I keep mine intact and functioning - I hate the stink.