Engine revving high

madhatter_xe

I tried the "search" function but couldn't find much for useful info.

My truck has been revving high for a few months, I thought it was b/c of the cold weather, but it isn't cold anymore and it continues to rev at about 2K rpm's until I drop in into gear or its been running for a while.

After its been driven and is warmed up it idle's fine at about 700-900 rpm's.

The engine doesn't sound good when it rev's up around 2K rpm's, Is this a sign of a worn out engine? :confused:

Thanks for any info.

Hey Slick,

Yeah, i cleaned the MAF a couple months ago and have checked for a vaccum leak. i'll take a closer look tonight as i change the valve cover gaskets.

check the charcoal cannister real close... the vaccum hose i have is the right one but had got stretched out badly where it goes ontot he cannister.. it looked intact but after passing smog and everything.. i was under the hood bout a week ago and the thing was whistlin dixie to me! the clip was also stretched n worn... i got a new clip and it seems ok now.

my suggestion would be to give each line a "tug" to make sure they are securely attached. ;)

I also had the same problem as you (it was the charcoal cannister line) but i also adjusted my throttle. now she's great. little high at startup (1200-1500) but drops right down after being put in gear and driving a couple hundred yards

Edited by Slick

Not sure. How would I check that, clean the TBI?

EDIT: Thanks for the heads-up Slick, where is the charcoal canister and how do you adjust the throttle? :blink: I'm not sure I want to adjust the throttle b/c it eventually idles properly at 7-900rpm's.

Edited by madhatter_xe

This is normal,

Theres a fast idle valve, idle on your cold motor should be 1500-2000 rpm

idle on a warm motor should be 600-1000

your motor does exactly that, you're fine.

I think your wax choke is sticking. That's the little solenoid/actuator looking thing on the front of the TBI with coolant hoses going in and out of it. When it sticks, the idle stays high for an abnormal length of time until the engine heats up and it finally manages to let the idle down. A new one is spendy, but you can remove the old one and try giving it a cleaning. A little bit of clear silicone grease inside the plunger shaft will help.

Thanks for all the info. I used some intake cleaner on it lastnight and sprayed everything off, I think it dropped the fast idle about 100 rpm's. The butterfly was surprisingly clean and shiney on both sides.

I'll check out the wax choke tonight b/c it still doesn't kick down off fast idle.

Cheers

Good call 88, the wax choke is sticking.

I don't need high idle for the summer, so until I have time to fix it, I just tied it back with some wire...works great now.

Cheers. :beer:

Edited by madhatter_xe