rear axle swap...

Guest kb1jki

Guest kb1jki

I nosed my '93 XE into a puddle, where my right front tire just fell into nothingness and my left rear floated in space. while I teetered there and spun in reverse, I realized the differential is open! (aw crap!)

so, it's time to swap the axles between this '93XE and my old '92SE with electronic limited slip. When I put the other axle (with disks instead of drums) in the truck, will my ABS system will be consistent? Also, if the differential is an electronic limited slip... am, what electronic parts will I have to move as well?

Lastly, where are the best prices on replacement calipers and rotors for nissans?

No such thing as electronic LSD... you'll need the brake master cylinder from your 92 and put it on your 93. I hear supposively there's a difference in ABS actuator between the disk brakes and drum brakes but I don't know for sure. I didn't even bother switching them over. I just kept the one from my drum brakes. My suggestion is to keep the open diff and throw in a locker, but the LSD may suit your needs.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

ya.. electronic lsd.. never heard of the animal.. unless you are talking about the new.. lsd, that becomes a locker when electronically activated.. but i don't believe that it was ever an option until the 2005 frontier and xterra. as far as brakes.. this is what i believe to be true. on your drum brake setup there should be a check valve somewere in the system that allows a small amount of pressure to always be present in the drum brake (either in the master cylinder or in someplace down streem. sometimes its just a mater of disconneting the line to your master cylinder and removing a little ball in there. not sure about nissans but i've seen it on other rigs) you have to remove this to install disks in the rear. if you don't you will have a heap of parasitic drag on the brakes. other than that, you should be able to bolt it up (rear disc brake caliper cyinders are smaller than the front so you will have more stopping power up front as you would with the drum / disk settup.)

Guest kb1jki

Ok, a locker is better than an LSD. Now, swapping drums to disks -I just pull the axles out of the rear end and swap them with the axles from the other rear end? do the calipers mount to either rear end?

I don't know how "electronic" entered into my head. The LSD served me very well on the other rig. I figured swapping rear ends would be the easiest disk conversion.

Ok, a locker is better than an LSD. Now, swapping drums to disks -I just pull the axles out of the rear end and swap them with the axles from the other rear end? do the calipers mount to either rear end?

I don't know how "electronic" entered into my head. The LSD served me very well on the other rig. I figured swapping rear ends would be the easiest disk conversion.

Don't forget to swap the Master cylinder from the donor Pathy out to as Cuong Nguyen posted. :beer:

There is a spacer inside the differential on drum brake axles that has to be removed to install disc brake axles. IIRC. Meaning you have to take the diff out, tear it apart, then put it all back together...

Otherwise you could swap backing plates off the disc-equipped axles and put them on your drum axles and not worry too much about that part... ;)

The spacer 88 is referring to is the thrust block. They're only found in the open diff rear ends. When I swapped to disks, I didn't even bother removing the thrust block out. Others have done the same and have had no problems about it. Others say you need to remove it but I have yet to hear of a problem with keeping them in.