Another Engine Swap

lowrider

Well, i've decided to keep the disco potato and give it some much needed love. Picked up a new clutch, T/O bearing, and pressure plate a few minutes ago, and on saturday picking up a 1995 VG30e with 150,000 KM's on it and 50,000 KM's on the timing belt and water pump, and my buddy who owes me a favor is selling it to me for $500.

Hopefully i'll have the motor out of the potato by next friday. Reinstallation on Saturday and Sunday. If i can accomplish that, the holiday on friday the 14th, i'll head over to the wreckers and grab a pair of rear axle shafts, front and rear diffs with automatic gears, a CV shaft, and upper ball joints, and make those things the project for the long weekend.

Wish me luck guys. -bounce-

I know i should just email slick, but any tips/tricks for engine removal? I heard something about the torsion bars coming out to get at the bolts? Any one have some insight?

nah. no need to mess with the t-bars. just drop the front diff down a bit, that's what holds up the oil pan. ;)

remember to makr all your wires n hoses.. or at least the ones you don't know where they go.

remember.. put a jack with a big block of wood for teh x member/diff but be sure to keep it well clear of the oil pan. that way you have a little more maneuverability when coaxing the diff to drop ;) (you'll have to leave it there to support)

be careful if you leave your driveline on.. if ya do.. do NOT let that diff drop...

yeah. you have my msn, you can get me here and i think you have my phone number?

good luck and ask away! :beer:

I pulled my front diff to get more room. The bitch bolts were at the top of the tranny holding it to the engine. long socket extensions, a u-joint or 2 and some creative posturing and there's not much to it. Lose the front-of-the-engine crap like the fan, rad, alternator,etc to give yourself maneuverability and haul away!

nah. no need to mess with the t-bars. just drop the front diff down a bit, that's what holds up the oil pan. ;)

remember to makr all your wires n hoses.. or at least the ones you don't know where they go.

remember.. put a jack with a big block of wood for teh x member/diff but be sure to keep it well clear of the oil pan. that way you have a little more maneuverability when coaxing the diff to drop ;) (you'll have to leave it there to support)

be careful if you leave your driveline on.. if ya do.. do NOT let that diff drop...

yeah. you have my msn, you can get me here and i think you have my phone number?

good luck and ask away! :beer:

Can you PM me your number, rachel?

:beer:

thanks!

Ahhh...the joys of being me.

The motor i got is from a 95 Quest van. And so much is different i'm ready to snap.

So, back to doing the heads, and taking the bottom end that's good and my fuggered heads, rebuilding and making one good one, and now, after spending all this dough on a motor, i still have to go and buy $300 worth of gaskets.

Super.

Edited by lowrider

Ahhh...the joys of being me.

The motor i got is from a 95 Quest van. And so much is different i'm ready to snap.

im not sure how diff that is but i used a 86 maxima motor into my 87 and once the motor is out swapping parts doesnt take too long...

i had to swap:

-oil pick up and oil pan

-oil dipstick had to be relocated (pop out a plug and slip the tube in)

-i ran the maxima heads and put my intake on

-swapped out all the brakcets and bolts (set them side by side and ripped off all the maxima mounts and threw on the pathy brackets)

-be extra careful to not forget and re-install that thin plate between the flywheel and motor i forgot and it sucked removing the flywheel again to put it in

-i was going to change the front main seal and its casting so i could run the wd21 water pump but that seemed to be not possible so i just ran the maxima timing belt housing and it sealed it all up but i did have to get a D21 2wd waterpump b/c the maxima wp had a short throat and diff flange

dont feel too bad i broke all kinds of stuff and ran out of money...took out a loan and got a 95 cuze my cousin finally decided to sell hers after i got 75% of the way thru this...so now im driving the 95 and the 87 is sitting until i graduate and get a job and some $...all i have left to do is:

-pour in oil crank it up hope it doesnt blow up or smoke

-buy new oil pres. gage since i lost the one of the damn lil brass tapered doo-hickey

-get it in time

-top off antifreeze

-change t/case tranny and rear gear oil

-get headers and install

-reinstall shifter and carpet or yank it out and rhinoline it

-change front windshield

my luck was so horrible and i got so frustrated i just quit and even tho its been about 2 months i still dont want to work on it b/c im sure the luck will continue and when i turn it over it'll be a whole nother disaster...

good luck with the rest tho

:o why $300? i got my gasket set in 3 days for $113... a COMPLETE gasket set... i even have lots left over that are for 2wd models..... hell.. P...

sorry bout the delay..... pm'd you my phone number :aok:

Edited by Slick