Do Iridium plugs = 100,000 mile change intervals?

ntwrkguy1

My '97 needs plugs, but I noticed the owner's manual calls for 30,000 mile change intervals on plugs. If I go with NGK Iridiums, can those be changed at 100k intervals? From using the search function, I see that some of us are using Iridiums. Not sure if they truly do make a difference, or whether it's just $11 worth of marketing for each plug.

I figured since my mechanic was going to have such a tough time changing those plugs, I might as well find some long-term plugs to put in!

I put over 100,000 on my original plugs with no issues. I'm on my second set of NGK generics now. I figure one more change in about 50-75K miles will then last me the remaining years. :)

of course... I'm a cheapskate

Stick with NGK Iridium. Don't use anything else! If it came in your truck chances are an engineer knows better than you about the engine.

My original NGK Iridiums lasted 100k when I changed them and looked great when they came out. I put new ones in and it runs like a champ.

However, 6 of them were like $45 at Autozone but it was money well-spent.

Stick with NGK Iridium. Don't use anything else! If it came in your truck chances are an engineer knows better than you about the engine.

My original NGK Iridiums lasted 100k when I changed them and looked great when they came out. I put new ones in and it runs like a champ.

However, 6 of them were like $45 at Autozone but it was money well-spent.

You must have gotten a bargain at AutoZone, because when I checked last week, they were quoting $11 for each plug! Since there's only 6 plugs, that's still not bad.

I'm correct in assuming that the OEM plugs are NOT platinum, right?

You must have gotten a bargain at AutoZone, because when I checked last week, they were quoting $11 for each plug! Since there's only 6 plugs, that's still not bad.

I'm correct in assuming that the OEM plugs are NOT platinum, right?

Hmmm...glad to hear that I got a deal.

A lot of those type of places don't carry them, so I was forced to buy them from whoever carried NGK Iridium. They are not platinum; I think they are better, but that really doesn't matter, because the iridiums is what came in my VG and should go in yours.

You can see what the prices are on www.sparkplugs.com

Hmm...it might be platinum...I think I'm getting the Maxima/Pathfinder confused. Or was it the 4Runner?

But the Iridium plugs are fine... ;) I promise that. Not sure what the price difference is between the platinums.

VG's use Iridium plugs??

I didn't know that...I thought VG's/VQ's used platinum :confused:

That shocked me, too. Very few vehicle warrant the .02% performance improvement for the price.

ok, i don't know much about these iridium plugs..

are they that much better in performace to justify 66 bucks? :blink:

my platinums went for 10 years and i replaced them for $15.00. with bosh platiniums.

so if its a matter of just duration of the plug being 100,000 and i have to change them after 90k for 15 bucks i'd go for the 15 bucks

my platinums went for 10 years and i replaced them for $15.00. with bosh platiniums.

so if its a matter of just duration of the plug being 100,000 and i have to change them after 90k for 15 bucks i'd go for the 15 bucks

Don't do Bosch anything unless it's a German car! I can't possibly answer another one of these questions, but search it, me and a TON of others have had terrible experiences. Spend the "extra" $30, if that.

Don't do Bosch anything unless it's a German car! I can't possibly answer another one of these questions, but search it, me and a TON of others have had terrible experiences. Spend the "extra" $30, if that.

elaborate please.. what the hell does platinium plugs do with german cars?

I run them in all my newer rigs (post 80's)

is there something i don't know?

I have an extremely skilled technician buddy who works on Nissans, Hondas, and BMW's (and that's all! It's great to be so good you can pick what you work on!)

After changing countless spark plugs over the last 20 years, he has found a few Bosch spark plugs in Nissans and Hondas on which the insulator has cracked or broken. That's like 3 or 4 failures out of a few thousand.

But never a Bosch that failed in a BMW.

And never an NGK that failed in a Nissan or Honda.

Not enough data on NGK's in BMW's to form any opinions. BMW drivers tend to stick to Bosch.

Weird? Yes. And even I can't begin to theorize why. Bosch is an excellent company that produces excellent products.

But based on his database and my VERY limited database (I had the insulator break off on one Bosch in my old 240SX - still ran fine and caused no damage but made me wonder) I choose to use Bosch in my BMW and Chevy, but stick to NGK in the Nissan.

ok, i don't know much about these iridium plugs..

are they that much better in performace to justify 66 bucks? :blink:

I say use Iridium only if:

A) manufacturer specifies it and you are worried they'll void warranty if you don't

B) you need the extra 0.1 hp

C) you think your friends will think more of you if you do.

elaborate please.. what the hell does platinium plugs do with german cars?

is there something i don't know?

Yeah...please do tell...My old 87 SAAB (before they were GM Ecotec'ed out) was front to back top to bottom decked out Bosch everything...and SAAB's aren't exactly German automobiles :confused:

After changing countless spark plugs over the last 20 years, he has found a few Bosch spark plugs in Nissans and Hondas on which the insulator has cracked or broken. That's like 3 or 4 failures out of a few thousand.

Thats odd.

ok, back to the good old days. I used to have a 1983 honda 3 wheeler, built by HRC for racing, the guy i got it from was sponsored. Now this was an older air cooled bike.

Ever time i went through a puddle, water would spray up on top of the engine and the element inside the plug would break due to rapid heat change. If you looked at teh plug you would think it was brand new but was NO good.

so i tried going to the Bosh platinums which was fairly new at the time.

never again did i have to change my plugs. i put bosh platinums in my pathy 11 years ago. I just changed them. sure they were shot but hey.. 11 years?

anyway i'll stop beating a dead horse, just this is new info to me

But never a Bosch that failed in a BMW.

And never an NGK that failed in a Nissan or Honda.

Not enough data on NGK's in BMW's to form any opinions. BMW drivers tend to stick to Bosch.

Weird? Yes. And even I can't begin to theorize why. Bosch is an excellent company that produces excellent products.

But based on his database and my VERY limited database (I had the insulator break off on one Bosch in my old 240SX - still ran fine and caused no damage but made me wonder) I choose to use Bosch in my BMW and Chevy, but stick to NGK in the Nissan.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Maybe I should have clarified:

Bosch= European

NGK, Denso=Asian

Champion, Autolite=American

I'm sure there are some companies I left out, but that's the basic rule of thumb. My Bosch platinums self-destructed in my Jeep, but the NGKs do great in every Nissan.

Champion, Autolite=American

You can take chaces with champion spark plugs.. those things SUCK

I can honestly say that i have had nearly as many bad new plugs as i did good ones.. as in buy a box of 8 and 4 of them are no good out of the box.

since a japanese plug won't work in an american car, i wonder how my american axles will do in a japanese vehicle.. :gossip: :shrug: