timing belt issue

solid snake

I had my t-belt changed yesterday, and barley got to drive the pathy around and find that the engine feels kind of "tight", and tried to drive it around at high speed and found that the pathy has a hard time passing 70mph. Before I changed it, it went up to 80 no prob. It feels heavy too. At first I thought that the belt needed to settle in and expand a bit, but now I think that there may be something wrong. Is this a common issue and I am worrying too much. I told my mechanic that I'll be able to bring it back to him until Tuesday, since I work fri, sat off sunday (mechanic shpo closed on sunday), and monday.

do you mean since they changed it it has less power? if that's the case they may not have got it TDC or the timing is out..... how does she idle? run in general? start? need a bit more info ;)

Ill guess timing.... I had the same issue... fact It still does not have the power it had prior to t-belt change... I know for a fact I was TDC.

you still haven't got the timimg straight on that thang yet casey? dang man.. do i have to come up there n do it for you? lmao.. j/k :P you know you give good phone *falls on floor laughing* sssh

got the timing light on it yet? my timimg was out 1 degree with the new motor...

Guest 95path addict

Yea sounds like they could have replaced belt ( one tooth off )

or something , but I agree , seems like it would idle lower

and possibly sound different when starting , and does it rev

up the same in nuetral ?l

do you mean since they changed it it has less power? if that's the case they may not have got it TDC or the timing is out..... how does she idle? run in general? start? need a bit more info ;)

Yes to your first question. When I accelerate, it feels like it wants to really take off, but it can't, it feels kind of heavy. idle is at aobut 500 rpms, it was at 900 before the belt was replaced. Running, well it feels heavy like i said, it wants to go a little but faster, but it can't. Starting, is fairly quick, quicker than before.

Yea sounds like they could have replaced belt ( one tooth off )

or something , but I agree , seems like it would idle lower

and possibly sound different when starting , and does it rev

up the same in nuetral ?l

Yeah :o , that's how it is, It sounds like it wants to rev up, and it does sound differnt when i start it up, it kind of sounds like it wants to choke, but it doesn't. haven't checked nuetral, will check tomorrow.

bet yer timimg is retarded. have them check it

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Why?!?! I wanted my pathy to be perfect! I was just gonna change the oxy sensor and wire set!

Oh, well thanks for the info Slick.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Why?!?! I wanted my pathy to be perfect! I was just gonna change the oxy sensor and wire set!

Oh, well thanks for the info Slick.

a perfect pathy? is there such a thing? :blink: easy enuff to rectify... quick zap of the light.. quick jiggle of the disttributor.. n away she goes ;)

all of the above.. timing related most likely.. one or two teeth off or something like that... i don't think it's just out of time because it wouldn't run smooth and he doesn't mention hesitation or backfire or anything like that. 1 deg. off is nothing.. i tune by ear because no engine is the same and they don't all wanna run right on the dot.

not sure if over tightening the t-belt would do this but 88 may know since he had a bunch of issues with t-belts a while back. or maybe it's loose.. search the forums because 88 found a better(?) way to do tighten the thing... it's been a while so that why the (?) can't remember exactly but it wasn't feeler gages.

anyone remember the count between the sprockets? it's somewhere here in this forum iirc.

What about when you turn off your engine? Do you get shuttering and backfiring? I used to advance the timing on my Harley 1-2 degrees and man, lookout. It added a very quick, responsive engine!

bet yer timimg is retarded. have them check it

that's not very PC Slick. Don't you mean "Synchronization Challenged"?

Edited by k9sar

anyone remember the count between the sprockets? it's somewhere here in this forum iirc.

the count is as follows: from cam to cam: 40 teeth

from LH (driver side) cam to Crank sprocket: 43 teeth ;)

you know you give good phone

Why Thank you Very much :D

Yes mine did get hit with the light..... and the tooth count as well as the marks were set..... Just feels like it lost 20% of the power...

When I pulled the old belt the drivers side cam was off by one tooth... Replaced per the book and the board...

One tooth i would not think would cause that much of a loss/gain...

Dunno need someone that knows more than we doooooooo

What about when you turn off your engine? Do you get shuttering and backfiring? I used to advance the timing on my Harley 1-2 degrees and man, lookout. It added a very quick, responsive engine!

No backfiring. Starts normal, but I do notice the loss of power.

Why Thank you Very much :D

Yes mine did get hit with the light..... and the tooth count as well as the marks were set..... Just feels like it lost 20% of the power...

When I pulled the old belt the drivers side cam was off by one tooth... Replaced per the book and the board...

One tooth i would not think would cause that much of a loss/gain...

Dunno need someone that knows more than we doooooooo

i dunno. mine was off one tooth before i built the purple turd and boy.... my pathy is a whole new truck now... got everything lined up.. and she has more power now than she's ever had :bow:

One tooth off will cause a giant difference in power and economy. It will have a hard time picking up speed when you hit the gas, really poor fuel economy(10MPG or so), and a lot of trouble maintaining speed on the freeway or up hills.

First time I did my t-belt, I got it one tooth off somehow on the crank. (No timing mark!) See, that doesn't ONLY alter the ignition timing, it also alters the VALVE timing mechanically, because the belt drives both cams at the same time. You can set the timing all you like cause the DS cam drives the distributor. That'll let you use a timing light to set ignition timing, but the problem is that your valve timing is still gonna be off if the belt is one tooth off. There's no way to check that without taking off the timing belt cover, setting it at TDC and physically looking at the marks. If both cams appear advanced or retarded slightly, it's one off on the crank. There's no way to correct that but to take the belt off and do it over.

Second time I did my t-belt, I got it too tight. That didn't cause any power loss cause it was timed right, etc...but it makes a whining noise not unlike a supercharger. I took 'er in to the Nissan dealership and asked one of the head techs to listen to it, he said "You need to fix that, if it stays too tight it'll break off the cam gears."

The way he told me to check tension on the t-belt is by grabbing the belt at the middle between cam gears, then give it a twist. If you can just twist it 90 degrees, it's good. Less is too tight, more is too loose.

Hope that helps.

88... i am having the belt whirrping noise you speak of.. BUT... i checked and rechecked the belt and can turn it almost 1/2 way....... i did my last belt the same way and it came off perfect after 3,000 miles.. but this noise is not customary to my pathy (not this loud.. tho it is audible it is not LOUD)... could i still have it too tight?

Edited by Slick

All I can tell you is the tech told me 90 degrees, no more, no less. It should not make any noticeable noise when tensioned correctly.

well.. i checked all my other belts and they seem perfect.. so maybe i should scooter back un there n check again.... better to be safe than sorry eh ;) thanks!