question bout 4x4

02PATHFINDER

this is my first 4x4 , and i just started using the 4x4 option on the pathfinder with the snow we just got here

i wanted to know if it was normal for the wheels to chug , almost like the get stuck when you make a sharp turn or a U turn

this happens when i put it in 4hi or 4lo

if anyone could answer this for me i appreciate it , thanks

all of the above said is correct...if you hear that grinding/clunking noise while turning (this is called "binding")...that means that there is too much traction between the road and your tires, thus no need for 4WD. keep it in 2WD or Auto if snow/ice is minimal, 4WD if ALL four tires are consistently in contact with snow/ice.

When you turn, the outside wheel needs to spin faster than the inside one in order to keep up, kinda like "crack the whip". Simply put, when you have it in 4WD, the front axle is "locked" and both wheels turn at the same speed when you're turning, so it's going to bind up when on a surface that provides good traction. You're ok in dirt and snow because the wheel will slip a bit on those surfaces. Like Vsick's said, you're gonna break something if you drive around on dry pavement in 4WD. You should be able to shift on the fly, but I don't know up to what speed you can do it safely in an '02.

all of the above said is correct...if you hear that grinding/clunking noise while turning (this is called "binding")...that means that there is too much traction between the road and your tires, thus no need for 4WD. keep it in 2WD or Auto if snow/ice is minimal, 4WD if ALL four tires are consistently in contact with snow/ice.

Not all the Pathy's have the "AUTO" setting :( . That is all I use for driving in snow on paved roads and on gravel. Use 4wd when the going is really tough.

From the 02 Owners Manual: With the regular transfer case, you can shift into 4High at speeds up to 80 kph (50 MPH). No limit on the AllMode system I have.