5th gear

Crazy Geologist

Ok, I had my transmission rebuilt at 185,000 miles. They put in new 1st, 3rd, & 5th gears with all the bearings/bushings etc.

Since it had been rebuilt, it made a distinctly different sound when off the gas in 5th gear but I dismissed it. I went on a long tour de rocky mountains trip last week During the past trip this noise had increased, until about 350 miles from home the transmission slipped out of 5th gear (at about 75mph w/cruise on) and refused to go back in.

I paid 2800 dollars in june to have it rebuilt, it was serviced at 6500k later and it still kicked the bucket. I had a 12,000 mi warranty, but this last trip put me barely over the top on that.

I am mechanically inclined enough to try to install a rebuilt one...who knows where to find a deal on a quality rebuilt transmission?

I dunno though, I think I am still going to have to buy a new auto...my days as a pathy owner may be falling short. :blink:

Just tell them the truth, you were on a long trip and the trans broke during said trip and said trip also just put you over the mileage. Assuming you haven't put many miles on since then they could go out and verify this and should help you out. Of course they might just be asses and will tell you tough s@#$. Couldn't hurt to enquire though...

you -alcohol- hon? ;)

2k isn't really that much. was the noise documented by the shop at any point? if yes, you should be ok...

LOL.....I was thinking the same thing buddy!!! Slick....put the booze......DOWN!!!

Edited by Simon

LOL.....I was thinking the same thing buddy!!! Slick....put the booze......DOWN!!!

:o MY BAD!!!! no -alcohol- i just got home with the camaro.... haven't even hooked one up yet...... :hide:

I agree with taking it to the same shop with your story. Worst case(usually my luck), they'll say no, which is risky for them due to word of mouth and reputation. Best case, they'll still take care of it, although I doubt it. But since you're officially outside the warranty but obviously have had issues, maybe they'll be willing to work something out with you.

I'd like to think you could at least negotiate a "free labor" repair if you bring in the trans already out of the vehicle....

By offering to pay for parts, you show that you understand it may not have been their fault - it may have been a bum part.

And by offering to pull and re-install the tranny, you eliminate the majority of the time they need to put into it.

I'd definitely try.

Have the tranny fluid tested to see if they used GL-5 AND if they underfilled it, because of the case design having the fill hole located too low. Both things could kill it depending on overall condition. The only thing that should go into a Nissan Pathfinder manual tranny is GL-4.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it was unbeliveably hectic with stuff at work for the past two weeks, so the pathy just sat, and I rode my bike and hitched for the duration...

Friday I called the service manager and gave him the story. He told me they would do the job with free labor if I paid for parts, so I borrowed an enormous Dodge diesel and a car dolly and towed it 55 miles back to the shop on sunday, left my key in the drop.

I got a message on my voicemail this evening that tomorrow they would pull it from the vehicle and they would tear it apart and would happy to to it all for half labor, and give me a call tomorrow about the parts.

Hmmmm. It looks like the bait and switch to me.

So I scrapped the plan of letting the shop do it again. I called them the next day and told them I couldn't justify it And I bought another truck. I will pick up the new truck tomorrow and tow my busted pathy home from the tranny shop. I now have a beast to do with what I please. I think I am going to take the tranny out and have a look myself, knowing full well that my chance of not getting it back together again is high... Has anyone on this forum rebuilt a 5spd manual? Know of a good book or where to find blow up diagrams?

Oh yeah, This will be fun.