rock light wiring Q

nick1716

The wattage of the lights is really going to define how you do this, as you want to make sure you don't draw more amps than your standard relay can handle safely.

If it was me I'd have it coming off of two relays wired to one switch. One relay per side, run one thick gauged wire to the three lights, ground them to the frame, wrap/protect your wiring, copy to the other side, and call it good.

yeah, harbie is right...youll need to go 2 relays. when i set up 4 of mine i cleared with only a little margin in order to use 1 relay. with 6 lights youll deff need 2.

as others have said...run some 10ga to your relays, make the loop with your power wires, ground on chassis, find a suitable trigger and hook up a switch.

Why do you need to minimize wire?

If you need some, send me your address and a few bucks for shipping and I'll set you up with enough to do it right.

I would assume its to keep the install as clean as possible. ;)

But if you've got wire sitting around, I could use some :-) Sent you a pm :aok:

well i ran 4 off one wiring kit in one of the packages of fogs.. no relays or anything worked fine... til the aded the last two.. i had a big loup and grounded em to my frame...i guess i just need bigger wire.. i knew this wire i had wouldnt work..i just wondered if there was any other way other and running new wire... i have no room to get it through my firewall! thats why i want the least amount of wires

well i ran 4 off one wiring kit in one of the packages of fogs.. no relays or anything worked fine... til the aded the last two.. i had a big loup and grounded em to my frame...i guess i just need bigger wire.. i knew this wire i had wouldnt work..i just wondered if there was any other way other and running new wire... i have no room to get it through my firewall! thats why i want the least amount of wires

redo it right..it may "work alright" without relays but you really need to install a couple. that way you wont need alot of heavy gauge stuff running through your firewall. you just end up with a little trigger wire goin through..then you can run your larger gauge stuff down the frame and to all your lights..keeping it outside the whole time. but also..youll start overloading a normal automotive switch if you have a high current running through it. do it right and fix it for good.

...well i ran 4 off one wiring kit in one of the packages of fogs.. no relays or anything worked fine...

Howdy, something to keep in mind. If you are using the wiring that came with the lights you really should pop in a relay. Unless you subsituted your power wire for a thicker gauge or used a heavier switch, you have a good chance of melting the wires or possibly catching fire. It all works fine until you have them on for a length of time.