New here and having trouble

Guest Rez

Today I woke up and was extremly excited to get to drive my pathy another day, I have never had any probs with it ever and it even drove fine on the way to work. After work tho is a whole nother story. It started perfectly but as soon as i got going i noticed a strange knocking ive never heard before. I noticed also that it would only knock as i pushed the gas and it was in gear. So i parked her and let it sit for a bit thinking it might be oil which is strange cuz i checked it the other day. To my surprise it wasnt the oil and i have no clue what it could be cuz im not much of a mechanic. Also the engine shakes pretty badly while idleing, anyone have any ideas what it is, cuz it has no power now while driving and knocks on acceleration?? Thanks I really appreceate it

Was the engine ratteling or running rough before the gasket blew? If not, I think the chain is fine and the motor mechanic might have been fishing for some extra cash.

The chain can be checked for play when the rocker cover comes off. It is highly unusual for a chain to stretch on the Z24.

wow, you guys rock, i appretiate all the comments on this, cuz i know nothing about mechanics other than chaning oil and a few minor parts lol. But anyway my question is if anyone knows where to get a cheap good head gasket for it? And also my unkles a mechanic so i was thinking we could maybe do it ourselves, but well see how that goes lol

when it comes to head gaskets, worry more about the GOOD part than the CHEAP part! You really don't want to do the job twice... I did on a couple cars when I was younger and less wise.

Now I use only the very best I can find.

It looks like you can get a Beck/Arnley for about $18 + shipping from Rock Auto. Or a Fel-Pro for $15.

You'll also need intake gasket, exhaust, valve cover, etc etc etc.

The complete cylinder head gasket kit (which should have all you need to do a head) is still under $50.

• 3 weeks later...