What types of winches do you guys use?

sammyb33

i am looking to get an ARB (maybe) or just gettin a front hitch mount, and gettin a winch mount that can be removed...or moved to the rear...anywho...just wondering what types of winches you all think are the best for the moeny, because i do not want to pay that much and end up with a terrible product!!! thanks again!!

-Sam

venge i think he was referring to that if he went with the receiver mounted winch idea. in which case moving the winch would take all of 2 minutes tops

but to better answer your question..most of the brands i hear being used as warn, mile marker, superwinch..a few others. search around (avanced, not simple) a bit and you should find a bit more info

Edited by DSM_guy

True...I was just stating the obvious. LOL.

I do not have a winch at this point, but when I do get one, the choice is between the Warn XD9000 and the Superwinch EP9.0. I have seen too many MileMarker winches fail in action to recommend them.

yea, the hitch mounted winch idea was me thinking i could move it from the front to the back...yea...ARBs are permenant...(geez)...so, that is the first time i have heard that about the milemarker...thanks for the good info, but warns are really expensive, and would u be using a hydraulic or a electric? Thanks again!

-Sam

Stay away from the EPi9.0 from Superwinch unless you plan on running synthetic line. Stock steel line length is 125' and i've seen two cracked off solenoid boxes (including mine) when the line spools up too much on one side.

The EPi9.0s are fantastic powerful and durable winches, I've done some incredible 200+ feet repeaded pulls, but they have that one flaw with the long steel rope, even when you try to baby the line it's a pain as some pulls you just have to do off to one side and can't back up to realign.

If you plan on moving your winch front to back, etc.. you may want to get that synth line anyways as it cuts the weight of the winch by a very large margin. With the steel line and the cradle it weighs about 140 lbs, which is a cumbersome load to be booting around with at night on slick rocks.

That's my rock bar/anchor point tool. It's a 1" cast steel utility pole anchor with the end cut to a chisel point for moving rocks, logs, etc on the trail. In the sand, you can pound it all the way down and use it to winch yourself out, unless you're really dug in bad.