Muffler Hanger?

ticker

Good Morning all,

A while back the muffler hanger broke resulting in the exhaust resting on the frame and making a pretty annoying noise/vibration. I took the pieces of the bracket off-it is the one with a piece of rubber sandwiched in between the two pieces of metal, to see if it could be repaired. The rubber seperated from one of the pieces of metal on one side so I tried some trusty J.B. weld, which worked for a few weeks. So now I have been using a hose clamp to keep the exhaust from bouncing off the frame. This seems to work OK except there is no dampening so I am still getting a little vibration from the exhaust when i hit bumps, rev hard etc..

I have a few questions the first is: Is this bad for the exhaust? ie. does it need the dampening effect of the hanger? Next: Is there a source for one of these hangers? I've tried to find one at various part sources with no luck. The hangar itself bolts to the frame and to a bracket on the muffler. Is there some other name for this part?

thanks

ticker :type:

It's not that bad for the exhaust, but you're putting additional stress on the rest of the exhaust tubing after the first hanger by letting the back end bounce around. It could possibly crack at a weak seam or weld joint. *shrug*

A muffler hanger's a muffler hanger. Go to a shop and have them tack a new hanger on for you. Shouldn't cost more than $20 if they don't try to sell you a generic pre-made OEM-specific part or something.

I broke the last hanger at the weld to the frame about 40k miles ago, I had it welded back on. The weld job-, lasted 5km miles and the welder said it would be permanently brittle due to an elevated carbon content in the steel from exposure to 165k mi worth of hot exaust. I have had it hose clamped since. If you get the clamp super tight, it may stop your vibration; it did with mine. It has been problem free since.

• 4 weeks later...

yea I 've got mine on there with a hose clamp too. It works and its cheap, kinda like me! The only problem. if you could call it that is I can feel the vibrations of the exhaust through the frame. beer=good, sleeping it off under pathy=not so good :D