Quest for the Land Cruiser

derogate

Good Luck. Here in Sask, it depends on what kind of day the inspector is having and who does the inspection :rolleyes: I don't get the whole "2.5 hours for a 4X4" Do you think they are going to be "extra special" mean to you?!? :huh:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that sucks... the guy probably hates 4x4's (bet he drives a minivan)

If you can... have you checked into more friendly inspection yards? Perhaps there is info on the net as to places that are more forgiving to 4x4? As deej said, a lot of times it depends on the person and the day that person is having :shrug:

Lol, I sure hope not. Actually It doesn't sound like the actual inspector has much to do with it at all. He is just there to facilitate the use of the Manual. The manual is VERY specific about what requires a reject or a pass.

I KNOW i'm going to fail alreayd, but a retest is only 25 dollars, and It'd be nice to know everything I need to fix before I get into it.

Lol, I sure hope not. Actually It doesn't sound like the actual inspector has much to do with it at all. He is just there to facilitate the use of the Manual. The manual is VERY specific about what requires a reject or a pass.

I KNOW i'm going to fail alreayd, but a retest is only 25 dollars, and It'd be nice to know everything I need to fix before I get into it.

Well at least you don't have to pay full price for a retest :aok:

And I agree on your point about failing the first one... as long as they follow the rules on the first one and don't change any on the second, you will know what needs to be fix and just what can "wait" till later.

man that sounds like a crazy escapade. glad to see everyone coming together and helping out...really...it's not often that acquaintances and the like, will go out of their way to help another. it's damn awesome and refreshing to know that you guys are around and actually willing to help =)

Quick little update For anyone interested..

this is riiight about where I yell ^@!!!!!! Really loudly! I peeled back my floor mats and carpeting... guess what?

Ok, its probably not half as bad as you where guessing, but there is a ton of surface rust in there.. no holes or rot yet, but Its on its way. Thats gonna be some thin metal flooring once I finally grind down to it.

After the inspection I'm basically stripping out the interior and I'm going to try and locate any areas of concern. I'll repair what I can myself, but I'm definetly gonna need a pro to handle some stuff... and certain parts probably arn't going to be repairable at all... I just have to hope that the Inpsector doesn't view those area's as comprimising the structural integrity. I'll take pictures in the days following the inspection.

On the Upside If I can find somoene with a welder who can help me for cheap, I found an american site based in Texas that sells reproduction rust repair skins to weld over an area you just cut out... Specifically, My door, floor boards, the bedliner, and rear Ambulance doors. That makes Doing the body work entirely DIY as long as I can find a welder.

I don't think I'll ever learn so many things the hard way in my entire life, after I'm dont this project.

but I'm Still optimistic about the whole thing. I love driving this damn truck too much to let it slip away now!

Wish me luck at the inspection guys.. I know its a fail, but I'm mostly hoping for a short list at this point!

Edited by derogate

Actually, you're lucky that you can get weld in floor pans for your Cruiser. I had to replace 2 cab mounts and the floor pan in my minitruck from scratch. Write up with pics

It's still not totally done but it's good enough for now. My truck didn't need an inspection though so yours is a little different.

If you wire brush the surface rust down to bare metal and there are no big holes in the floor pan, you may be able to get away with dropping a weld over the little holes and bed lining the whole floor. I know several guys that have done this and had great results.

Would you be able to get some pics up so we can get an idea of how bad the floor rust is?

Update:

Well She's back from the sinpectors, and he was a really nice guy too! I'm gonna ask for him next time it goes in for a re-inspect.

THANK YOU JESUS!!... well the rust wasn't an issue... I was pretty damned suprised! He said the door still had as good of a seal as it did when it was new (which still was horrible).

- on a side note, he used to own one.. maybe he was a little nice to me on the rust because of it? when it comes to rust, it is Somewhat open to interpritation.

anyway, the items I need to fix to insure it are as follows:

Windsheild washer squirters

-It appears they where painted over for some god forsaken reason... might need a new part entirely... I hope the pump still works.

Trailer hitch is bent

- LOL don't ask my why thats a fail point... but it is.... Its not even bent badly!

Steering linkage - Bellcrank Bushings are worn

- I checked the manuals and It doesn't even state a part called that... this will be a fun one to fix for sure

Lamps

Left front park light does not work - Wiring? bulb?

Dash lights Do not work - He checked em in the day time... they are just super dim, though I think that might still fail me

Left and right fron park signals are loose - Damn lock nuts, I can't remove it, or tighten it... I'm going to have to try and shim it up somehow then Epoxy the shims there... tough call.

missing gas cap... hehe Whoops my bad

Exhaust Leak

-Potentially a nightmare if one or more of the bolts break off when I'm loosening them. I'll soak em for a good 2 or 3 days in a bath of wd40 and other rust remover stuff to unstick em... but if one breaks... ugh.. *crosses fingers*

the hood wasn't latching shut. The metal was rusted out so I slid the latch over a 1/4 inch and its fine now. Easy fix!

Now the mean stuff:

The Drivetrain

Front drive shaft, rear U-jiont is worn

Front differential Pinion Flange is loose - he said All I have to do it tighten it, but again the manual doesn't say where it is.

Alt drive belt is loose... easy fix again (i think anyway)

Springs and suspension

Front and Rear leaf springs are dead

Front and rear shackle bushings are worn

- I'm gonna have to buy new leafs... on the upside it makes chaning the shakle bushings a snap, becasue I can just replace them... Also, I can reverse them to make the ride smoother, AND gain 3 inches of lift by putting the leafs OVER the axle instead of under it... I was going to do all this anyway!

Thats it... just some other unimportant issues about the rust and missing bolts. Nothing to big at all.

SWEET. this should only take me a weekend or two to clear up!

Pictures in the next post, I'm converting them now

cruiser1.jpg

cruiser2.jpg

cruiser3.jpg

cruiser4.jpg

cruiser5.jpg

Well its not THAT bad, maybe I was just a little paranoid, but jeeze, think of how hard it would be to fix the last one there. Also, I still have to rip out the interior and wirewheel it then Rust proof it. So I might find more nasty suprises.. Definetly outstanding condition of a vehicle thats almost 30 and spent most of its life in the North west.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust3.jpg

rust4.jpg

Right on man. The to-do list isn't bad considering its obviously a project truck. I can't wait to see some pics once you have it up to spec and out on the trail. Maybe you could check out some WA trails with us, or guide some of us up there. I'd like an excuse to visit Canada again. :beer:

On my 82 FJ40 Straight 6, I replaced the stock intake and exhaust with Offenhauser, Holley Carb and had tons of fun eating the V-8 Crushers that were around town.

I traded it in on a 1984 RX7 GSL-SE........ Ticketed and about an hour in the local holding area for 155mph in a 40. Had to wait for the bank to open, cash machine would not give me 8 bills for bail. 45 days later ticket was dismissed :bow:

The FJ40 has been around forever, there are tons of aftermarket goodies... Thier used to be a JY in Snohomish WA that specialized in Land Cruisers.

Right on man. The to-do list isn't bad considering its obviously a project truck. I can't wait to see some pics once you have it up to spec and out on the trail. Maybe you could check out some WA trails with us, or guide some of us up there. I'd like an excuse to visit Canada again. :beer:

Negatory on the Trail riding thing. It'll get siezed at the border if they catch it... I mentioned it earlier I think, but I kind of skipped the whole export process... and just kinda jumped into the import end of things. It saved me a three day wait, and a day or two of lost work. Though They wouldn't notice unless they checked the vins, so i think i could chance it for a trip or two to go wheelin with you guys. The trails in that area looked awesome from the pictures Brain Showed me.

Next update sometime Next week I think... I'm just plugging away at one thing a day right now... the hardstuff will be for the weekends, and I don't think I can get those leafs replaced any time soon... shipping and whatnot. I have my local sources looking for a good OEM pair, but you know how that goes.

The list is not all that bad, bit of work and you should be there :aok:

This might aid in your efforts to restore and further modify the Cruiser

Toyota Land Cruiser Parts Suppliers

I found this while compiling my own list for you... was going to PM them, but others may be able to make use of it too :)

already been all over that site... and back again. heh. Thanks for the heads up though!

I just yanked the bent trailer hitch off the back 5 minutes ago... it took me over an hour and a half.... those bolts where rusted on there bloody TIGHT. I couldn't really grind them off either, I'd have to damage the hitch.

Wd-40, Torch, Hammer, BIGGER HAMMER, Torch, Wd40, Hammer, Wd40, Then loosen. Wont go? Torch, hammer, Wd-40, Torch, hammer wd-40... Then loosen. Reapeat for bolts 2 through 4.

FabTech Manufacturing & Off Road, Inc.

N,U,S,C 14ga Steel Tubs, Fenders, PS

#9 - 150 Campion Rd. Conversions, Restored LC's,

Kelowna, B.C. Shackle Reversal

Canada V1V 1L9

Beauty... Though I bet dollars to dimes I know the son of a guy, who knows this guy! Those cruisers I keep spamming from up at the mud bogs where at least partly worked on by these guys.

Edited by derogate

• 2 weeks later...

Update time:

an update is USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

cruiser2.jpg

cruiser3.jpg

cruiser4.jpg

hah!! Do that to a nissan in 45 minutes flat!!... actually removing the rear spring cost me about 4.5 HOURs not 45 minutes... but the manifold/header was zoom zoom.

The more I look at it jacked up on one side like that, the more I want it like that all the way around. It just sits so nicley... but now my dreams have been dashed.

I took the rear spring thats missing in that picture, into a leaf mfg today, and after quoting me 250 a piece to make new ones, They also added that they looked to be in good shape and pondered why I might be changing them. To which I replied: "well this here sheet says I have to, yup its clear as day...

Fail Items:

Blah blah blah.. lots of crap...

Spring+attachments - Front and Rear Leaf srpings

-Front and Rear Shackle Bushings worn and or detiorated"

Leaf dude:

" well I'd give that inspector another call and see what exactly was wrong with them, cause this one looks just fine to me."

"alright, thanks, I'll be in touch" *click* <- my neck, not the phone... then I hung up.

INSPECTOR DUDE:

"Hello, gary speaking"

"hey gary its paul here, I hope you remember that Old Land cruiser I brought in a while back, I just needed to clarify a small issue on the form"

"sure go ahead"

"alright well, I was looking into replacing the leafs and whatnnot, and the leaf mfger said that they all look ok, Was it the entire leaf, or just the bushings that needed replacing, the form isn't too clear."

"nope just the bushings"

"NICE!, thats awesome news, thanks gary"

"no problem"

"alright thanks again"

"No problem"

"bye"

"no problem, errr bye"

So now here's my Dilema. I have to remove all the leafs anyway now, to get at the bushings.. another local shop quoted me 165 a pop for 2.5 inch lift springs, and a 2 week wait. That'll put me over my deadline for the re-inspection, and i'll need to fork over another 160 bucks or whatever for anohter full inspection, where they could potentially change their minds on certain issues (Ei: my rusty arse doors). HMMMM.. its a dilly of a pickly for sure. I'm stuck on the fence on this decision. Since The only difference between a taller ride, and not, is the amount of money, and not the work. truthfully, new springs might be EASIER to put back in... god knows the old ones where a SOB to get out.

Your thoughts and comments?