Cam Opinions?

Z_Pilot

I don't know much about cams.

I do know that I want more power, and cams are the way to go until L&P developes the supercharger for the VG-30e.

I know (I think?) that lift and duration determine where you gain power... low-end torque verses top-end. I don't want a race cam that wil upset idle and cause stalling issues.

With all that said, can you give me your opions about what is available to us?

AC in-house cams :

AC "mild" cams

High Performance Cams/VG30

These cams will give you a 15% increase in horsepower. They are ground to specification for optimum setting. Specifically designed to increase midrange performance. .425"/256* lift and duration. Highly recommended to replace stock lifters which are sold separately. 12 required. All cams are ground from billet, not reground.

AC "race" cams

Race Cams/VG30

These cams will give you a 20% increase in horsepower. They are ground to specification for optimum setting. Specifically designed to increase midrange performance. .430"/262* lift and duration. Highly recommended to replace stock lifters which are sold separately. 12 required. All cams are ground from billet, not reground.

JWT cams (sold at AC)

JWT "street" cam

High Performance Cams

S1 billet cams. .440"/260 degrees. Provides good idle, great mid range and torque. Good on turbo or street normally asperated engines. Recommended to change lifters when replacing cams. Lifters sold separately. Provides @ 15% increase in HP.

JWT "race" cam

Race Cams

S1 billet cams. .473"/266 degrees. Biggest cam that can pysically fit in the head without modifications. A little lope at idle, but not too bad. Short overlap makes this good a good mid range and torgue cam. For turbo or street normally asperated engines. Recommended to change lifters when replacing cams. Lifters sold separately. Provides @ 15% increase in HP.

Keep in mind that I (currently) live in a smog state.

I'd prefer a good mid-range power-curve.

How much & where can I get a lifter & shim kit?

I should do cam seals at the same time, right?

Thanks for your opinions! :beer:

Z

Edited by Z_Pilot

I'm betting you'd want an upgraded computer as well to take full advantage, and JWT is about the only place I've heard of. You'd have to send the comp in too. But regardless, if you're in a smog nazi area, you probably wouldn't pass after the swap anyways.

I don't know much about the AC cams. I have the JWT street cams, however they are not installed yet. From what I understand, you will get between 12-15HP with them. If you have a problem passing inspection, there are a few ways to beat it. If you do cams, do the whole exhaust too. You will notice the most amount of improvement with a whole new exhaust including headers. It's a little much, but if you are after more power that is the way to go. You can do a chip after. Also, upgrade your air intake if you haven't already. JWT offers a Spring/Shim set that you can get. As for lifters, if yours have been in the car for a while, you will want/need to replace them. I don't know any good sources for them though.

i am a victim of the "smog nazis" too and there was a thread a while ago about this and from what i read/remember.. we can only go "1 up" from stock size b 4 they will not pass smog. I live in CA so our laws are the WORST of all.... :angry:

CA P...

I'm betting you'd want an upgraded computer as well to take full advantage, and JWT is about the only place I've heard of.  You'd have to send the comp in too.  But regardless, if you're in a smog nazi area, you probably wouldn't pass after the swap anyways.

Ummmmmmmmmm...not for much longer..... :D

Yes, you heard it here first!!

I have them, but not installed yet. Soon though. We want to break my engine in first before we install them.

As for your other question. The JWT cams can be used in both engines. Not sure about the AC cams. Didn't look into them!

Cam's are on my list as well... so ill be keeping an eye on this...

I talked with JWT back in August and they were talking with the Cam and ECU upgrade it could only run on 91 octane gas.... $3+ a gallon took that to the bottom of the list...

Ever think about Schnieder? Good cams and good prices. Linky: http://www.schneidercams.com/cams/50a.htm

Oh, and the L&P SC system will be done this spring.

Wow....great find on the cams! :clap:

I am not sure what to order, though....perhaps a cam that has lift and duration close to the JWT cam? :confused:

Would I order the lift\spring set for the SOHC 300ZX too? :shrug:

Supercharger for the VG30i or VG30e will be ready this spring? :cool2:

Thanks! :aok:

Z

I'm betting you'd want an upgraded computer as well to take full advantage
ECU upgrade it could only run on 91 octane gas

...as far as computer upgrades....I am waiting for L&P's supercharger because they indicated that that they will be re-mapping the ECU for a\f management.

Z

I am not sure what to order, though....perhaps a cam that has lift and duration close to the JWT cam?

Would I order the lift\spring set for the SOHC 300ZX too?

Anyone?

I need to order these soon if I am going to do it.

Z

• 1 month later...

I'm working on purchasing cams as well and have found a place that has not been previously mentioned on this site.

http://www.powerandperformancenews.com/sto...Code=Nissan-CAM

Competition cams, there product is in Dale Jr. motor for the upcoming season. This I know because my nephew is an engineer for a spring company in Detroit and they flew him in to do some testing a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I have not yet called on these cams but the price looks pretty good from what I can tell and they offer several options. The give a deacription with each that may give some insight into what cam you may be looking for.

Check them out.

Joe :beer: