LukerAIR is now a reality!

Filthy Luker

So last night my adjustable CO2 pressure regulator came in... I ordered it from offroadair.net, and it arrived in 2 days. :bow: I grabbed my old beatup 20lb tank that i got free off one of the Zook boards, and I ran to my friendly neighbourhood welding supply place.

They laughed at my tank admiring the fading PEPSI logo and said that it is no longer OK to use as the certification is only 5 years and it's passed that time already. But they said that for a small fee I can get it recertified! I was like "HELL YEA! HOW MUCH?"... so for measly $25 canadian not only did I got my tank recertified, but they took it back and brought me out a shiny new powdercoated in gray beauty! WHOA! They just swapped it on the spot. :cool2:

So there I walked out as happy as I can be pimping my brand new most phallic of all off road accessories. Still frosted up from recent fillup with that magical CO2 gas. 2000 psi of pure joy!

On the way home I also stopped by a farming supply store and got some 25' of flexible coiled nylon air hose and a tire chuck.

So there... LukerAIR is now a reality, no more messing around with slow air compressors. :beer:

when you go offroading, its generally a good idea to lower your tire pressure down to around 10psi for a larger contact patch and greater flexibility and grip. well, when it comes time to air back up to go home..youd better have SOMETHING to air them back up with

Absolutely! And most 12V compressors will start smoking after you air up 4 large tires from 8 psi to 35 or so... They're just not used to working for such lengths of time... Also the CO2 system with a proper regulator can power air tools. sly

why not just pick one up at a Canadian tire or some sort of store like that.... much cheaper and same thing.

LOL i set TWO canadian tire compressors on fire in the span of one year.

I think you need to go here: http://www.powertank.com/start.htm to see the video on their front page of how quickly those CO2 systems air up tires. :beer:

Nice Luker. Does one of those aux tanks that you can fill with a home air compressor compare to a CO2 tank like yours? Walmart had like a 5 gallon tank for $19 or so. Ya think that would fill 4 (or more) tires? Does CO2 compress better than regular air or something? If its anything close, that might be nice to use then be able to fill at home. But if it were that easy, I suppose everybody would be doing it...

How long would you expect one of those tanks to last with fairly high powered air tools like an air ratchet or impact wrench? I'm looking for an alternative to purchasing an air compressor for the garage that can crank out 10CFM if I could do the ocassional use with a tank in the back. The one im looking at I assume is 15lb's since it claims 50% more air than that 10lb tank.

Nice Luker.  Does one of those aux tanks that you can fill with a home air compressor compare to a CO2 tank like yours?  Walmart had like a 5 gallon tank for $19 or so.  Ya think that would fill 4 (or more) tires?  Does CO2 compress better than regular air or something?  If its anything close, that might be nice to use then be able to fill at home.  But if it were that easy, I suppose everybody would be doing it...

One of my friends has a 10 or 20 gallon air tank (it's a fair sized one), and he says that he can barely fill 4 of his 32" tires. It can only hold 125 psi, where as CO2 is stored at 1800 or so psi.

In all honesty unless you set up one with a good (extremeair or viaair) 12V or a belt driven compressor I wouldn't bother.

How long would you expect one of those tanks to last with fairly high powered air tools like an air ratchet or impact wrench?  I'm looking for an alternative to purchasing an air compressor for the garage that can crank out 10CFM if I could do the ocassional use with a tank in the back.  The one im looking at I assume is 15lb's since it claims 50% more air than that 10lb tank.

on http://offroadair.net they quote 20 minutes at 50% duty cycle with an average tool (if I am not mistaken)... i think it's good if you wanna take off a set of tires or do an occasional trailside repair. For garage work I'd stick to a proper compressor and tank.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Dang, $20 to fill a 20lb tank!

My 20 oz. C02 tank for my paintball gun is $5 to fill....

Fill up my tank 16 times to get the equivilant and it will cost $96

Unless I did some stupid calculation error... which wouldn't suprise me

Paintball shops are a ripoff!

I've just got an ACDelco 260psi compressor in my Pathy

Yah I think I also get charged around $5 for my 20oz CO2 tank.

I have also been told that my tank is out of date and I need to get it static tested or some BS

I just go to another store where they don't care and presto my tank is all full! :aok:

HEH! LUKER how much did you pay for your regulator ?

I have been checking at http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/powertank/page3.asp

but lots of $$$$ and debating nitrogen and its benefits http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/t.../nitrogen.shtml

or CO2 tank http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categorie...ies/103777.html

Thanks with the help with my research :D

Including shipping and duties in it was approximately $125 Canadian. By far the most expensive component of the system, but considering what it has to do, I figured it was worth spending few extra dollars and getting a proper non-freezing one with proper fittings and all.

This is the one I got:

oa-2reg150.gif

Sheesh...

Ok, pay attention... SCUBA tanks !! Even an old school plain jane steel one is rated to 1800psi, and you can get them up to 4000+... Some used hardware, an adaptor or two and a regulator from Grangers, MSC, Airgas Co, etc and you are set.

Just a regulator with an air line fitting for $125 is a friggin RIP OFF !!! You are filling a tire, not supplying life support !! Do NOT buy this stuff from an off road supplier.

Piece it together for less than 1/2 the cost yourself ! Oh, the scuba tank can be filled for about $5 with filtered air at any dive shop...

B

co2>compressed air, because co2 is sored in liquid form, allowing it to expand into a gas once it exits the cylinder, so there is more usable "gas" in the cylinder. not to mention its a larger molecule than just compressed air, so theres less leaking out of your tires during driving

Sheesh...

Ok, pay attention... SCUBA tanks !! Even an old school plain jane steel one is rated to 1800psi, and you can get them up to 4000+... Some used hardware, an adaptor or two and a regulator from Grangers, MSC, Airgas Co, etc and you are set.

Just a regulator with an air line fitting for $125 is a friggin RIP OFF !!! You are filling a tire, not supplying life support !! Do NOT buy this stuff from an off road supplier.

Piece it together for less than 1/2 the cost yourself ! Oh, the scuba tank can be filled for about $5 with filtered air at any dive shop...

B

I see what you're saying.. but we are talking about CO2 and not oxygen... $125 shipped after taxes for a regulator ain't bad here. CO2 pressure regulators have to deal with a lot more than air regulators. There is a tremendous temperature change when you decompress this gas, regulators must be able to work in those conditions.

You walk into any ghetto farm supply store here and they want at last $85 for a crappy CO2 regulator with wrong fittings and wrong pressure range. As for scuba tanks from everywhere I read, they are built differently, have different fittings and shouldn't be used for CO2 at all.

Adaptor or two to make it ghetto fit.... No thanks. I'd rather be certain that everything I got is designed to work together safely for the right gas and right pressure range. :beer:

Also I purchased it straight from the manufacturer: http://www.cramerdecker.com not from some off road shop. sly And I don't want to just fill tires... I want to drive airtools with it. -bounce-